Supercharged 6.0 project "Road Rager"

Wayne

Reaction score
My design loosely based off of another kit offered by procharger. The only piece still 100% pro charger besides the head unit is the idler pulley and tensioner rod. I did forget to mention earlier that it does have a dual group 65 battery tray from de-stroked modified to fit on the right side. That's a nice piece of machining art they offer.

Wayne

Reaction score
Not sure on the volume of water. More importantly Injection is based off of boost and egt's, so bad programming could be the root cause, injecting at too low of a boost or egt level. Because of that, I'm not really caught up in nozzle size. If what it has now is too large, I'll simply cut it back.

...and yeah Danny. I'm pretty excited as well to see how multiple facets of this setup work with one another.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have thought about going this route more than once, just for a fun everyday driver.

Just not enough information out there on them to really make me comfortable investing the coin.
call and talk to empire diesel.. i inquired about one for my dually a couple years back..

live life full throttle

Wayne

Reaction score
I actually bought a kit from Empire back in the end of January for this truck with the understanding that it would be 3-4 weeks from payment date until ship date pending no huge surprises, and that a functional kit was near completion. That time frame worked on our end, so we did it. As time progressed, and the ship date "evolved", they offered a full immediate refund when we decided the time table was unreasonable for this truck. They refunded me, and I got to work on building this setup. ...and no, I have nothing against empire for this. They made a serious effort to facilitate a product need not yet on the market. I appreciate the effort they made.

The concept of a super feeding into a turbo has always made sense to me under certain conditions. Everybody knows the main drawback of a super is the amount of horsepower it draws to drive it. Therefore, running a larger one here requires a big belt. To minimize horsepower draw, throw a turbo down stream of the super, and let it eat the pressurized air from the super. If sized right, the super supplies all the air on the bottom end of the rpm range, and as the turbo enters the map efficiency range, it takes over for the most part. You might be able to run both hard, and have crazy boost that works well, but I don't see the point in going there with this truck. Drivability is more important than peak power here.

The approach we are trying first on this truck is to leave the blower only feeding minimal positive air pressure into the turbo once the turbo is fully lit. There will be parasitic loss through all moving components of the super system, but at say 5 psi, the blower isn't drawing nearly the HP to spin it at any given rpm as it would at 30 psi. We will be playing with as many configurations as necessary to make this right, but our target is 800 hp without water or n2o. At that level, we should have awesome drivability, and "reasonable" reliability. Ask anyone making much more power with a heavy truck how reliable even billet 4r100 or 5r110 transmission shafts are for a daily driver, and you'll see why we chose that target power level. The owner is still considering a nitrous system, and the piping has bungs for the jets just in case, but that would be just for the occasional street race or whatever in a situation where reliability is not as important as making it home with his cargo.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Not sure on the volume of water. More importantly Injection is based off of boost and egt's, so bad programming could be the root cause, injecting at too low of a boost or egt level. Because of that, I'm not really caught up in nozzle size. If what it has now is too large, I'll simply cut it back.

...and yeah Danny. I'm pretty excited as well to see how multiple facets of this setup work with one another.

Was just curious Wayne because ive been running Snow's stage 2 with two nozzles since 2006....and with 190/75's since 2008. I run a 625ml/min and a 225ml/min nozzles. Start injection is set at around 12psi and full at about 25psi. Anything set under 12psi it'll start to quench and put the fire out.

Wayne

Reaction score
It had a 175 ml mpg nozzle, and two 625 ml nozzles for power mode. I originally installed them when the twin turbo system went on. When the motor was running right, at full power it had no problem using all of it. In fact, I was wishing I could add another small one. It all comes down to programming though, and when you bring it in. With the settings it had when I got it to my shop, it was not happy.:cursing:

Shone, I totally understand on the exhaust tip. If you see it in person, you might not hate it so much. Considering the owner goes through over 1500 rounds of ammo, on who knows how many types of guns every month, it makes sense for who he is. The guy even has his own private range, and I don't just mean a spot on the back 40 with a couple straw bales at the end with a target stuck on. At any rate, that's definitely one of those mods that draws out everyone's opinion in a love/hate kind of way. The good news for the haters is that if he changes his mind, it's one bolt, and off. Hey, at least it's only a 6" tip on a 5" pipe, not one of those 10" cans on a 4" pipe. :fustrate:

Gearhead2012

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but what are you doing for the crank cog drive pulley? I was dead set on exactly what you're doing for a while, actually have a f1 case here for mock up, only I had planned on using a reverse rotation so the inlet faces forward. I'm actually in the process of finishing a twin screw supercharged 6.0 now, but been to busy to mess with it lately. Cool setup, can't wait to see how it works out...the F2 should be a very good 'low pressure' unit.

Wayne

Reaction score
I considered reverse rotation, but I didn't like how far forward the thing had to be with a cog setup, and cog belt is a must with this application imo. No room for ideal air inlet piping and filter that I could find on reverse rotation. My mounting system is quite condensed, and very rigid to prevent deflection, and I don't see a reasonable solution to that either with as far as a reverse rotation deal would need to be. Maybe you have it all figured out though in a way none of us have thought of before. That's one of the things I like about when new product enters the market, or even one-off deals like this one is at this point; being able to see how differently people think, and still come up with great solutions in most cases. Like several other components in the kit I'm finishing up, I started with an off-the-shelf pulley for the crank, then machined & adapted it to the balancer. Next one I do, I will likely start from scratch on most everything but the head unit and idler/tensioner pulley components to save some hassle for my machinist.

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
Couple update pics. Engine compartment is far from done still, but coming together. ...and I do need to move the coolant bottle a little. I was in a rush to do some testing last night, and left it there for the time being.

IMG_20150829_211053448.jpg

IMG_20150829_231111794.jpg

strokin6L

Reaction score
Looks great Wayne! What are your thoughts on pairing something like the F1 procharger with a larger vgt turbo such as like a 64mm vgt(KC stage2)? I think Dannyhad his DC1 paired with the stock vgt at first. I know that it'd probably hafta be gated....but just curious what your thoughts were!

strokin6L

Reaction score
Its definitely a different setup! I've gotten use to seeing procharged setups like this!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-30-23-24-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-30-23-24-23.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 255

imelmo

Reaction score
Looks great Wayne! What are your thoughts on pairing something like the F1 procharger with a larger vgt turbo such as like a 64mm vgt(KC stage2)? I think Dannyhad his DC1 paired with the stock vgt at first. I know that it'd probably hafta be gated....but just curious what your thoughts were!

I had the F1C.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Sorry danny thought it was the DC1. Maybe it was matt who ran the DC1 with his setup that I posted a picture of above!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.