Surging Hot Idle

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Truck was up to temp, and as I pulled into where I was going I thought I heard the engine surging at idle. Very faint, like +-25 rpm's from idle. Thought it was odd, so as I pulled it I came to a stop, and still heard it (more like I could hear the humming of the accesories belt going up and down type of thing). I let off the brake ever so slighty to just barely creep...and the truck started to slow surge at the extremely slow braked idle speed (with a rythm of 2 per second it seemed). I let it idle along without the brake applied, it it did the same thing, although it was much more muted.

I held the brake just enough that regular idle it wouldn't go, but with the surge it would move forward an inch or two type of thing.

Truck has 175K miles, late 03 build (ICP on valve cover), EGR delete, BPD 6 phase FICM w/ Atlas 40, Matts SRL tune.

160* Tranny temp, 195* Oil temp, 192* Coolant. No codes.

Also, the cable to move the shift indicator on the dash broke, so on the CTS I have the gear indicator on it. At idle in drive, sometimes I notice it going back and forth between "1" and "P," like it goes to "P" for just a split second then back to "1." Its also had a firm 1-2 shift from the day we bought it, tunes didnt change that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online