Suspension Issue

imelmo

Reaction score
So we changed out the u-joints and put new seals on my front axle on the passenger side Friday. Everything seemed to go fine. But I went to the track and the truck was all over the place. Was doing it on the interstate too whenever I'd make somewhat quick lane changes. Felt kind of like when you have a trailer on and it starts fish tailing. Any ideas what we could've missed or messed up? I'm not gonna be able to go to the track again 'til we get it sorted out. Way too dangerous.

Last edited:

OBS F350

Reaction score
So we changed out the u-joints and put new seals on my front axle on the passenger side Friday. Everything seemed to go fine. But I went to the track and the truck was all over the place. Was doing it on the interstate too whenever I'd make somewhat quick lane changes. Felt kind of like when you have a trailer on and it starts fish tailing. Any ideas what we could've missed or messed up? I'm not gonna be able to go to the track again 'til we get it sorted out. Way to dangerous.

Sway bars still in place and bushings etc. on them in good condition?

OBS F350

Reaction score
BTW sorry if the sway bar thing is way off target, I'm not sure how big of a role they play on these trucks. Had a beater car and due to some of the activities it participated in I lost the rear sway bar. At any speed if you jerked the wheel it would go all over the road, at like 40-50+ if you jerked the wheel decently hard it would almost set it sideways and out of control... Was thinking about that after I posted and realized it's not really an apples to apples comparison so my bad if I was way off in left field LOL.

imelmo

Reaction score
Taking a quick look underneath at the sway bar, it looks like the sway bar may be loose on that side. I'm gonna put it on the lift in a little bit and check it out closer. I'll look at the ball joints and stuff again too.

skylinedan

Reaction score
Did you get the u joint to tight? I had one half tied up, axle would creep and stop in the right spot not letting the wheel turn. If you gave it a hard yank it would snap loose and be all over the road a ways then drive some what ok till it did it again.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Did you get the u joint to tight? I had one half tied up, axle would creep and stop in the right spot not letting the wheel turn. If you gave it a hard yank it would snap loose and be all over the road a ways then drive some what ok till it did it again.

Whs. Did this start after you replaced the u-joint? If the u-joint is binding it could cause what your describing. A binding/tight u-joint will not let the steering return as it should and will keep the wheels "turned" as the steering fights the u-joint to return

imelmo

Reaction score
Yeah, it started after we changed them Friday. That would make sense because one of my guys bent the u-joint housing on the shaft and had to heat it up to get it back in place. It looked straight to everyone, even put a pipe thru it that matched the holes. But I guess it wouldn't have to be out by much to screw it up.

Betarocker

Reaction score
If a u-joint is seized or tight, you'll notice if you have the wheels turned all the way to one side and spin the wheel with the hubs locked (needs to be off the ground).

To check the pieces that make up the steering you test with the vehicle on the ground. Have someone be the steerer and you crawl underneath and look at all the pivot points. The steering wheel only needs to be rocked back and forth until it gets hard to move, not lock to lock. Check the piman arm, the drag link ends, the tir-rod ends, the ball joints. If there is lateral movement then they are worn out.

imelmo

Reaction score
Sooooo, anybody wanna know what it apparently was?

I'll give you a hint. The sidewalls of MTZ's are REALLY strong apparently. :lookaround: LOL

imelmo

Reaction score
Pretty much, lol. I could see them not squatting on the back, but really surprised it didn't squat in the front.

Latest posts

Members online