Swamp's 7.3 Cam and Head Porting info: Great Read!

m j

Reaction score
For all of you that is interested in performance from your 7.3, take some time and read through the blogs that Jon has written about Swamp's cam profiles and head porting. He goes into great detail on the injectors and turbos used during testing. There is some great and promising information for the 7.3 world! I'm excited to say the least

http://swampsblog.swampsdiesel.com/

I get a redirect on that link to what looks like an unrelated page

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
For all of you that is interested in performance from your 7.3, take some time and read through the blogs that Jon has written about Swamp's cam profiles and head porting. He goes into great detail on the injectors and turbos used during testing. There is some great and promising information for the 7.3 world! I'm excited to say the least

http://swampsblog.swampsdiesel.com/

Read some when it first came out and now it is a tdi forum?
Goes to cleandieselperformance...
Wish I saved it.
Any updates with this?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Anyone here bother to call swamps and talk to Dave personally for more info? Not to sound like a d#ck but if he still has the doc he can probably email it to you.

Reaction score
As a matter of fact I have spoken to him twice in the past few days. He indicated it was Jonathan's project and he had all the data on a laptop that died with no backup. Dave also indicated that Jonathan or Jimmy could likely recite the findings, but they had never recreated them.

This is why I had hoped that among us just one had saved that for further reading or reference. I would really like to read it right now as I get ready to finalize my build.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
As a matter of fact I have spoken to him twice in the past few days. He indicated it was Jonathan's project and he had all the data on a laptop that died with no backup. Dave also indicated that Jonathan or Jimmy could likely recite the findings, but they had never recreated them.

This is why I had hoped that among us just one had saved that for further reading or reference. I would really like to read it right now as I get ready to finalize my build.

Kudos for doing so, I've been on the various forums for nearly 20 years now and I can't count how many times guys are unwilling to call or email for info.

I do recall reading it but I can't recall much. I do want to say that part of it was that the factory 7.3 heads just don't flow a lot of cfm and porting did make a difference.
I do recall reading about some guys having it done and saw a decent drop in EGTS w/ big fuel and hot programs.

And lastly, I have saved countless dl's but after a few crashes I have lost all my data over the years.

Good luck w/ your build!

golfer

Reaction score
in short...
stock cam/heads are routinely good to 650rwhp
stock cam w/ our CNC head work is good to low 700rwhp
anything over that will need CNC and a cam.

don't plan on running coolant in your heads if you're looking for more than 1000hp

golfer

Reaction score
Are there any improvements to had with porting in 1500-2500RPM range?

we often do CNC porting (keeping stock cam) for guys at high altitude that aren't necessarily looking for 700hp, and it absolutely improves the cleanliness of normal-ish driving.

but 90% of the time, excessive smoke is from tuning or mismatched parts for the application. < ie, 37" tires 3.xx gearing , ZF trans, and high altitude and big(ger) nozzles.

since tuning can neuter a 200% nozzle, there's not a big need for CNC work sub 650-700hp trucks

Reaction score
So if someone were wanting just your port work done, would the heads be sent to you and you guys do the pressure testing and resurface etc.. for an extra cost? At what point should people entertain the cost of adding larger valves?

golfer

Reaction score
So if someone were wanting just your port work done, would the heads be sent to you and you guys do the pressure testing and resurface etc.. for an extra cost? At what point should people entertain the cost of adding larger valves?

yeah, if we charge x for CNC porting....then it would not include surfacing/new valves/seats or any other machining services.

stock diam valves are within .020" of cylinder wall, so you'd have to notch the block for a larger valve..but then you're just tucking the larger valve into a severely shrouded pocket.

...valve area is not the issue wrt cyl head flow on this engine.

Latest posts

Members online