Swamps 7.3 common rail

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Its going into Scotty's race truck.

Oh - and I'm not sure why you guys think this will be a rude awakening for the Cummin's crowd to have a CR 7.3 on the pulling track. All the technology in a CR 7.3 is already available to the Cummin's crowd. Right now a CR Cummins pulling motor is about 1300hp at the flywheel for the 2.6 class. (give or take a little bit ;) ) - they have tons of programming and tunning options available now too... the Bosch Standalone computer, the Zeus aftermarket computer, EFI-Live, the new Smarty tuning software, and others. Some of the options like the Zeus are true aftermarket pieces with some very high powered injector driver circuits as well as very flexible tuning parameters - and if you need a parameter to do something a certain way - it can be added (although admittedly that takes a while sometimes....).

CR 7.3s are cool - they will be just as much of an attention getter as the mechanical 7.3s - but I am not sure that they will just come out of the gate and dominate and leave the competition scratching their heads..... they do however have every opportunity to put the 7.3 on a level playing field when it comes to horsepower capabilities. Just my 2 cents.

Fo shizzle.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
If there was more R&D done for powerstrokes they could be serious competition in all aspects of racing. Duramax and cummins trucks have been ahead of the game for years. HEUI is more difficult to squeeze power out of than commonrail or mechanical injection diesels. In a few years duramax and cummins guys will be in for a rude awakening.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If there was more R&D done for powerstrokes they could be serious competition in all aspects of racing. Duramax and cummins trucks have been ahead of the game for years. HEUI is more difficult to squeeze power out of than commonrail or mechanical injection diesels. In a few years duramax and cummins guys will be in for a rude awakening.

Yea, nobody has tried :doh:

Not sure what your point was?

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Oh right lol, my point is the 6.4 being out for only 4 years now and the duramax for 11 years, there are already 6.4's putting down some nice numbers, give it time and powerstrokes will get the recognition they deserve.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im pretty sure powerstrokes do. We have one of.the best forums, strike that, THEE best forum. Thats recognition. Dpc was won by a psd last year. It was well represented by others. Thats recognition. The 7.3 is as relevant now as some vehicles still being produced. The fans are.changing, imo. Some wanna turn their trucks into cholo-ass lowriders and while.that can be cool Im not interested. Others are looking for function. I cant find it in any corner of my brain to get fully into some of these race.vehicles just because you put diesel in them. A truck like Shones KR or Erik's dpc.winning KR are very cool to me. They happen to have power commensurate with that of race.vehicles.but they are still utiliy vehicles at heart. Im interested in watching trucks drag a sled down the.track but thats not a hobby to be dabbled in. You either dedicate your life to it or forget it because you could have 150grand into a puller and something to.get it to the track on weekends.

I simply want something that will pull loads efficiently, look decent when washed up, and serve truck duties when it is asked to.

Seems we have racers and guys looking to improve their utility by adding various mods. But lets.face it, the race.guys pay for the r&d to.develop parts for.guys like me who.just want to double the stock hp, whatever that may be.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I'll agree with that, diesel fans are certainly changing. I would also consider this the best powerstroke forum on the interwebbing, and some of the best group of guys. I also see a lot of truck pulling videos of powerstrokes that with a little fine tuning would be winning.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I see.this.forum as the nest.overall, regardless of.the interest focus. The function and people are unmatched. Some forums when you logout, it could.take an hour to find the damn threads you posted in upon next login.

ghohouston

Reaction score
international is in the business of making work engines not race engines and while the common rail fuel system is pretty awesome heui still is good for a few reasons. with the exception of some icp leaks on the newer engines and the 6.0 injectors.... the heui system still seems to be more reliable for daily use. I can't say I have ever seen a heui injector melt a piston due to over fueling . they wont run if there are oil pressure issues. and they are safer to work on because the only place with super high pressure is inside the engine. and I'm sure there are a few other reasons

but this is just my opinion and due to emissions standards I'd say the heui systems days are numbered

I kind of agree. Cummins nor duramax, cat, j.d. Are not coming out of the factory as ”race” engines either, yet they have all moved to cr,, it just took international years to catch up

under pressure

Reaction score
I cant say if thats for reliability reasons, but in 10 years my huei system has been trouble free, not one single problem, which has made my owning a diesel very pleasant. my friends 6.4 and Cummins trucks are problem children.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I cant say if thats for reliability reasons, but in 10 years my huei system has been trouble free, not one single problem, which has made my owning a diesel very pleasant. my friends 6.4 and Cummins trucks are problem children.

I.dont look to argue.with you but of the three people I personally know with cummins.cr.trucks, it amounts to three. All three are work trucks, no tuning, 6.7l, and are used.very hard. The one gets oil changes and thats it unless something breaks. It has.bee trouble.free @86k miles. Had an axle u joint changed about six.months ago in the front end.

The second one is owned by an excavator(go ahead and cringe). His is an 11. Laramie. It was a beautiful ride for about a week. Still has the plastic on the floors,seats, and.headliners. Filthy! Hes got 65k miles on his and he maintains it.himself. No.trouble.

My buddy on the other.hand has trouble constantly but doesnt maintain his.truck for anything. In fact, he.is.an idiot when it comes to.stuff like.that. I dont see.cummins as trouble.from my experience.

Ive had myshare of issues.with dmax trucks, no.doubt. I.cant imagine.how.much.worse they'd leak, smoke, lope, chug, and chatter with the fuel crankex up :eek:

fordman2121

Reaction score
This is some great technology. Id love to see the 7.3 be competitve just because of all the people that say it cant make power. Im hoping they make some AL 4 valve heads that are made for the CR injector all ready. I know it would be $$$ but there are aftermarket 6.4 heads. The heads could be made to accept the injectors fuel rails and fuel tubes all from the 6.4. It would make putting a package like this together a little less money and easier to service when parts are needed.

Viking

Reaction score
This is some great technology. Id love to see the 7.3 be competitve just because of all the people that say it cant make power. Im hoping they make some AL 4 valve heads that are made for the CR injector all ready. I know it would be $$$ but there are aftermarket 6.4 heads. The heads could be made to accept the injectors fuel rails and fuel tubes all from the 6.4. It would make putting a package like this together a little less money and easier to service when parts are needed.

I wonder how many people it would take to get a group buy on cutom heads that take 6.4l parts?

Viking

Reaction score
Well I would think swamps would be the company to do it I just don't know how you go about getting the ball rolling.

DocBar

Reaction score
I wonder how many people it would take to get a group buy on cutom heads that take 6.4l parts?
Depending on price, I would think very few would be interested until the new heads showed some promise after testing. Building an entirely new set of heads isn't an easy undertaking or a cheap one. Especially when you consider the cost of building a new motor if the new heads crater the one they're on.

Gearhead

Reaction score
If you designed a common rail head for the 7.3 that took the little pencil injectors, you would eliminate the issue of the ports having to go around the injector boss and thus have a bunch more flow potential.

Latest posts

Members online