swapingauto to standard tranny?

Awesome

Reaction score
im sure its been talked about but has what king of work goes into it? just curious i think my tranny might be going and not sure what i wanna do i miss shifting. lol thanks

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yuck... Row Row Row your boat...

Get a built auto and have a better all around truck.

Strokin'99

Reaction score
The auto will always be quicker in one of these trucks too. I was thinking about doing a zf6 swap until I got to drive one lol. I love driving standard shift vehicles but when it comes to a diesel the auto wins hands down.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Start... Booost... start over... booost... start over... booooooost... start over... oh wait its a red light... boost... start over... boooooooooost.....

LOL

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
Ya sure auto has its place in racing at a track but out on the highway and on the back roads 6 speed is where its at. Most people are only at the drags once in a while. plus u pay half for a clutch to what u have to pay for that built auto.

bad12jr

Reaction score
My bts will flat walk rings around my 5spd in my obs. Backroads are even better because I can come out of a corner harder then with the 5Spd because it just keeps pulling forward no sec to pause and shift.

The drivetrain will last longer as well. 6 spd have there place but for the cost of the swap and such I'd build the auto.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Awesome

Reaction score
Ok thanks y'all that settles it haha. But it's so much for a bts. And I'm only shooting for what 238s and a 38r can get me. If I ever see 500 hp that's be nice... So I'm down the street from twisted.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I had a 6spd SD and my OBS is auto. Both are interesting in their own ways. A properly built auto with properly setup tunes with a hot setting and a tow-setting will make you pooh yourself with how awesome that slug of an auto will run. My 6spd sd was great, and granted I dont do long-haul w/ 20k lbs like a lot do (in which case I'd prob want the 6spd), but for an all around truck... logging, hauling, deep snow, farming, fields, retrieving stuck'd people etc.... I LOVE a well tuned auto. No worrying about shifting, lugging, over-speeding etc... just put that baby in the corresponding tune to with what your using the truck for, put the pedal down, and let the truck do all the thinking. Not to mention, a well-tuned auto with a good VB and TC will run just as efficiently as a 6spd because the actuation of the torque convertor locks the tranny up into direct drive (ie no slipping torque convertor) just like a stick is....

If I were pulling heavy loads across the country, I would probably stick with the 6spd.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Definitely drive a 6-spd first. Some love it, some hate it.

For a daily driver/farm truck I wouldn't have anything but a hand shaker myself. If I was wanting a "fast" truck, a built BTS is what I would have.

I have never once been tired of shifting/clutching, but there are times when I admit an auto would be a better suite, which is usually off-road/deep snow (and when i just about smoked off my single disc sled pulling), but only those few times.

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
I've had both, it depends on what you wanna do with your truck and if you REALLY want the manual. At the time I had my zf6 i drove 100% city, and it was definitely a PITA in the city. But I still enjoyed it. If i didn't drive so much city I'd miss it more. You should get in one and make sure you really want one........... but like these guys are saying you cant beat a built auto really...

Latest posts

Members online