SXE472

Countrycar

Reaction score
10 blade compressor wheel is virtually silent. And compared to a 38R everything is silent. Lol

Glad you got it figured out. As a hot street truck that does not tow should be fine! .
Yeah, once I got the Exhaust leak buttoned down, my egt's dropped 200*. I was actually doing 85mph last night coming home, and the egts' stayed at or slightly under 800*. I still need to due a boost leak check, but this made a big difference on how it spooled at all levels. As I mentioned, I'm very impressed. First chance I get, I'm definitely going to hook up a 13-14K worth of trailer and see how it tows.

Countrycar

Reaction score
You’ll develop technique and a keen sense of the egt gauge when towing. Enjoy!
I towed 12K about 5 months ago when I still had the 38r on it, and to be honest, it wasn't much different from when I had 238/80's with the 38r. Had to watch the egt's and down shift when needed and make the 7.3 work up in the 3k range to keep it in check. This sxe472 runs cooler than my 38r did just driving down the road, so it seems like it would tow just fine, and possibly better than when I had the 38r on it. But again I'm gonna tow with the set up as it is now, and I'll report back on this, as well as how the truck does thru out. Appreciate yah guys. Thank you.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I just wanted come back on here fellas and let everyone know how it's going thus far. I'm really enjoying this turbo. I just had a recent chance to drive the truck, and put 1100 miles on it. The power is so smooth, the turbo is virtually silent. The only real feed back I get to let me know the turbo is there, is the hard acceleration pull and the tires breaking loose. I'll try to get some video up in the next few days.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I posted this video up to a friend and he just called me after watching it and said to me that the high pitched whine you hear is due to boost leak. So time to do a boost leak test. I'll get back on here and post up my findings.

Swaan

Reaction score
Ya I'd pressure test the system . Deffinatlly could be leaking somewhere. Other then that seems like she honky tonks along just fine.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey guys some follow up here on my SXE-472 Turbo. I got on the go pedal pretty hard on Wednesday and when I let off the pedal, I saw some light blue smoke blow out the exhaust pipe, then clear up. So I got on it again to see what would happen and when I let up again, more light blue smoke blew out then cleared up. It only did it twice, then stopped. I'd never witnessed this happen at all since I installed the turbo 4-6 weeks ago. So, at this point I figured that maybe there was something wrong with the Turbo internals and or seals. So I went ahead and removed the turbo. I left the Exhaust housing in place, but removed the cover and then the center section. What I thought I would see would be oil in exhaust side of the turbine or the Exhaust down pipe, but it was clean except for dry soot. No oil. So I'm kinda stumpped here. Anyone have any advice on this? Could the internal seals go bad where I wouldn't see an oily residue in exhaust/Turbine. I haven't torn the turbo down to verify the internals yet, but I'm not sure if I should. I ordered a rebuild kit that I should receive on Tuesday, just looking for answers.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Hey guys some follow up here on my SXE-472 Turbo. I got on the go pedal pretty hard on Wednesday and when I let off the pedal, I saw some light blue smoke blow out the exhaust pipe, then clear up. So I got on it again to see what would happen and when I let up again, more light blue smoke blew out then cleared up. It only did it twice, then stopped. I'd never witnessed this happen at all since I installed the turbo 4-6 weeks ago. So, at this point I figured that maybe there was something wrong with the Turbo internals and or seals. So I went ahead and removed the turbo. I left the Exhaust housing in place, but removed the cover and then the center section. What I thought I would see would be oil in exhaust side of the turbine or the Exhaust down pipe, but it was clean except for dry soot. No oil. So I'm kinda stumpped here. Anyone have any advice on this? Could the internal seals go bad where I wouldn't see an oily residue in exhaust/Turbine. I haven't torn the turbo down to verify the internals yet, but I'm not sure if I should. I ordered a rebuild kit that I should receive on Tuesday, just looking for answers.

Do you have a big enough air filter, and is it clean?

I have seen them pull oil past the seals when they have a dirty air filter. There was nothing actually wrong with the turbo, but with a dirty, or insufficient air filter there is enough suction on a hard pull to suck oil past the seals.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Wow, I'm gonna sound really dumb here, but here goes. To be honest I hadn't checked the most obvious, the air cleaner.. I run a 4" AFE Pro-dry Big Honkin air fliter. I'm pretty good about my maintenance, and since I hadn't driven the truck much, I didn't even think that this could be an issue. Plus, I do have it sandwiched between the battery and the K&N airfilter shield. Maybe it's not getting enough air, in combination with it being slightly dirty. I forget I'm not running a 38r anymore, and maybe it is an air restriction. Thank you Zeb.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I don't have the battery installed in this photo, but you can get an idea of how tight the area is where the air filter sits. I obviously need to make some adjustments here, to make sure the airfilter gets plenty of air, as well as checking to make sure the airfilter is clean. :fustrate::pointlaugh:

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 101

Countrycar

Reaction score
SXE472 w/10 Blade billet compressor wheel
72mm Compressor wheel Inducer Diameter
87mm Turbine Wheel Outer Diameter
.90/T4

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Don't want to muck up this thread... but thought this would be nice to add. We just recently had a truck on the dyno with the same turbo. sxe72/87/.90

Truck had 350/200s on it but still rocking a single hpop while waiting for his duals to get repaired so he had to run a 3.0ms tune. So the top end is WAY down.

We had a 1999 with 238/80s and s364.5sxe the same day. So it was pretty interesting to see the differences.

From the dyno graph you can see the s364.5 spools about 400rpms sooner, makes more peak tq, and actually more HP... but you can see where the s364.5 starts dying off around 2500rpms and HP is all downhill from there.

The sxe472/87/.90 is much laggier on the bottom end. At 2200rpms we are talking about a loss of 400 ft/lbs of tq. But the really cool thing is that power just keeps climbing all the way to redline, which is exactly what you would want in a drag race application. But for daily driving it kinda sucks because of how late the power comes on.

With more fuel it obviously would have made a lot more top end power. But this is great to show the spooling characteristics of each setup.

LLIKD0xh.jpg

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Interesting thread since I just got my truck running with the GT4294R with a .90 T4 turbine housing from FVP. For sure is a little lagy since I have a fueling issue and the Suncoast converter only flashes 1600 rpm. Injectors are Swamps 200cc/30% hybrids. I can tell with a looser stock stall speed converter and correct fueling it should run decent. If needed I can get the turbo modified on the compressor side with a smaller billet compressor wheel and matching compressor housing.

mandkole

Reaction score
Interesting thread since I just got my truck running with the GT4294R with a .90 T4 turbine housing from FVP. For sure is a little lagy since I have a fueling issue and the Suncoast converter only flashes 1600 rpm. Injectors are Swamps 200cc/30% hybrids. I can tell with a looser stock stall speed converter and correct fueling it should run decent. If needed I can get the turbo modified on the compressor side with a smaller billet compressor wheel and matching compressor housing.

200/30s are really too small for the gt42. (Curious on your drive pressure with the .9 ) Even my 250/100s are a tad small (the 42 cleans them), appears it works best with 3/2s but I’ll change the charger before I add more fuel.

My converter is based on a 6.0 and it stalls about 1800. It would like a little more but I’m not going there.

Latest posts

Members online