Syptoms of broken nozzle?

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
A guy at work has a superduty, and he is always asking me stuff about it. Well today he asked if I could help him pull injectors because he thinks he broke a nozzle off. I asked him what it was doing because it didn't seem very likely with a fairly low mileage stock truck. He doesn't speak very good english so I was having trouble figuring out what his symptoms were. I'm going to go over and take a look at it with him, but if I can rule out a broken nozzle, I would much rather not pull the injectors if it isn't needed. I don't know what the symptoms of a broken nozzle would be, and I don't know why he is leaning towards that, so if you guys could give me an idea of what a broken nozzle would be acting like that would be great. It would help me to be able to say, "no a broken nozzle would be doing this".

Austin

Reaction score
White smoke.

I've never broken one though. Figure out what the truck is doing then post back up here if you aren't sure.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
smoke and a miss from when the tip came up on top of the piston and hit one of the valves, potentially bending a rod, breaking a rocker pivot, breaking a valve, or all the above... not a pretty sight. if it broke an intake valve you will have a pop in the intake on that stroke to listen for... good luck, not a pretty sight

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Apparently he was driving to work, heard a "bang", truck got really sluggish, motor sounded "really bad and loud", and it was smoking a lot.

I'm not sure who he called up and told this to, that told him it was a broken nozzle, but they obviously didn't look at the truck. As soon as we opened the hood I cold see an intercooler boot came off.

But thank you guys for the info above, since I didn't have an idea about a broken nozzle, it's good info to know.

Latest posts

Members online