Take a stab at this one...

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
Oil pressure at 180* EOT is 18ish at idle, but only goes to 40 at 3300 RPM also.

Never put a no chit oil pressure gauge on another 7.3, so I don't know if those numbers are typical.

But they don't match the shop manual.

Tom, my oil pressure at 180* is ~27psi and at normal driving rpm my oil pressure is ~52psi at 180*. Those pressures are with Valvoline Blue 15W40.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
im going with a busted pin boss in one of the pistons. had a few do the same thing

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Tom, my oil pressure at 180* is ~27psi and at normal driving rpm my oil pressure is ~52psi at 180*. Those pressures are with Valvoline Blue 15W40.

So I'm a bit low at idle and way low at higher RPM.

What are you seeing Tom?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a LPOP issue, maybe something in the pump let go and is now crashing around at idle?

First, no this is not installed, nor will ever be, on anything I own. Just parts I got with an engine I bought.

But, if anything inside the LPOP broke, I think it would immediately score the chit outa the front cover. After that happens I doubt it'd be able to pull oil or build pressure.

Not to mention, there really ain't much to it... The parts might wear, but I don't see anything breaking.

1217101415.jpg

1217101417.jpg

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
any updates?

Yeah I got an offer letter from a new company today, and forged rod engines won't be givin me any more trouble.

I'll most likely never crack this one open, just replace it and donate the block to a better cause.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Yeah I got an offer letter from a new company today, and forged rod engines won't be givin me any more trouble.

I'll most likely never crack this one open, just replace it and donate the block to a better cause.

An offer letter? Like as in your getting a better job or what?

Sounds like the next one is going to be pretty trick

davey99ps

Reaction score
Curiosity would get the better of me, I'd have to tear into it just for my own satisfaction, even if i wasn't planning on doing anything with it.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
My curiosity is thinking of seeing if I can do 45 in first gear lol.

In all seriousness though, it's killing me not having a good guess why this thing makes the noise it does, when it does.

Having no time will be the only reason I don't tear it down. If I have time, it'll get torn down fo sho.

davey99ps

Reaction score

In all seriousness though, it's killing me not having a good guess why this thing makes the noise it does, when it does.

Having no time will be the only reason I don't tear it down. If I have time, it'll get torn down fo sho.

I know how that goes. Congrats on the new job an the new build, hope it goes smoothly

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score

Just put it in the shop to look at later, dont let it get away. We need to know what exactly happened!

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Wandering around on here and went back through some of my old threads...

In case anyone didn't hear... This was a broken flex plate.

I pulled the trans, left it sitting connected to the wiring harness on the floor of the shop, and started the truck with just the adapter holding the starter bolted to the block.

I only visually inspected the flexplate, as I didn't have my TQ wrench and didn't want to take it off without being able to install it to spec.

HRT pulled then engine for me some time ago, and discovered the broken flex plate in the process.

So... Apparently when they break they'll occasionally hold on enough, that you can't see anything under the spacer ring, and the truck will continue to start and drive.

Latest posts

Members online