Tax Time + A stock truck = Mod Time!!!!

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Ok, so I know there is a lot of these threads, but being my first 6.4 Im still a bit of a Noob.......

So its time to start throwing some parts at the truck! My plan for right now is finish out the deletes and get some better driving characteristics and reliability out if it. As of right now all I have is a DPF delete pipe, S and B Intake and some crappy tuning (still havent figured out what it is, but it SUCKS!!!!!)

So here is my plans for the first round......

Spartan Tuner (canned tunes for now)
5" Flo-Pro stainless exhaust
Powerstroke67 Downpipe
Full EGR Delete
Flo-Pro Intake elbow
Flo-Pro CAC Pipe

I think this line of upgrades will get me right where I want to be with a good mix of power and fuel mileage. Then I can start on looks and suspension before I get back into the engine again!!

But is there anything Im missing??? Intercooler boots? Any other small mods???

Diesel23

Reaction score
Its a never ending list !! Depends on funds and what your looking to do , you mentioned fuel mileage and horse power , what you have listed will get you going no dought , you may also consider , CCV mod, Air Intake , as for intercooler boots your fine ,but if your using the flo-pro CAC and elbow you will need about a 6" piece of 3" silicon boot at the connection from elbow to pipe (mine came apart with stock boot) , Good Luck

madman1234509

Reaction score
Be prepared for studs and hgs. ..... If I had to do it all over again I'd do the basic tuner,intake,exhaust, minus the down pipe. And save/ spend the other money on egr delete and studs for safety. If you do it before you damage the studs or head gaskets.you can do studs one at a time without pulling the heads and save a lot of time/labor/ cost of parts to do the job and probably still be safe.

After everything was said and done I paid close to 6k for my hg job. I did some small things while I was in there, but I found the heads to have cracks which is pretty common, esp on early build trucks. I put ny programmer on my truck at 80k, only ran the 275 tune, or equivalent to a hot street tune, blew my head gaskets and egr coolers within 4 months

weazel

Reaction score
Be prepared for studs and hgs. ..... If I had to do it all over again I'd do the basic tuner,intake,exhaust, minus the down pipe. And save/ spend the other money on egr delete and studs for safety. If you do it before you damage the studs or head gaskets.you can do studs one at a time without pulling the heads and save a lot of time/labor/ cost of parts to do the job and probably still be safe.

After everything was said and done I paid close to 6k for my hg job. I did some small things while I was in there, but I found the heads to have cracks which is pretty common, esp on early build trucks. I put ny programmer on my truck at 80k, only ran the 275 tune, or equivalent to a hot street tune, blew my head gaskets and egr coolers within 4 months

I did my 6.0 last tax season, I did studs and deletes and intake exhaust and tuner. I did all the bullet proofing first so it didn't come back to bite me in the a$$ later. And that is what I would recommend for others

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

Diesel23

Reaction score
Madman !! YES studs very important! I was thinging to hard ,your absolutely right!!

webb06

Reaction score
I'd recommend a turbo back flo pro kit instead of spending an extra $250 on just the down pipe. No offense to the downpipe because I've got one but I installed a turbo back flo pro kit last week and the fit was perfect.

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Madman !! YES studs very important! I was thinging to hard ,your absolutely right!!

Good point on the studs!!!! Might have to find a bit of extra cash and add that to the list......my big thing is that this is my first 6.4 so I've never torn into one yet, so confidence is a bit low installing studs....

What tuner do you have? What exhaust?

Honestly, no idea. When I bought it the PO said he had some super secret reflash to the computer to be able to delete the DPF and firm up shifts...... So who knows, but it's pretty crappy and I'm not happy with it at all knowing there is a lot left on the table and just that it drives kinda carport!!!

I'd recommend a turbo back flo pro kit instead of spending an extra $250 on just the down pipe. No offense to the downpipe because I've got one but I installed a turbo back flo pro kit last week and the fit was perfect.

I've looked for the full kits, but I haven't found places with a turbo back kit.... But I'm still looking around doing some price matching til the return comes in!

webb06

Reaction score
i ordered the kit i installed from performance truck products. it was a full 4" kit but im sure they have a 5" kit too

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Word on the streets is a full 5" system is hard to come by these days. I just picked mine up yesterday and I haven't even bought the truck yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
so why is a full 5" hard to come by?

More than likely its just a hot ticket item, Havent placed an order yet so not sure if its all dealers or just a few.....

Skip the Spartan and get a Mini Maxx

Well, Im likeing what the Spartan has to offer stock for stock over what the MM does, plus the monitoring abilities and over all package is a lot nicer.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
at the end of the day it boils down to tuning... you're going to see a lot more people tuning on the H&S platform over the next year. I don't like being beholden to one company when it comes to tuning.

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
That is true, but If i want to switch up tuning I can easly keep the Spartan for a nice clean guage set up to keep the dash uncluttered.

And aftermarket 3rd party tuning is going to get interesting with all this EPA stuff going on!

Latest posts

Members online