TC lockup switch

DMAX

Reaction score
River City Diesel has done this to some trucks. Josh has added a TC lock up switch on a 6L and some of his customers have one. Try contacting RCD and ask them...or PM jared@ricefamilyfarms. Jared works at RCD.

This is why we are doing the switch, During a pull the truck hits rev limiter almost immediatly. Josh@ RCD told us to throw a switch in to see what it does. I know of 1 6.0 that runs the switch per RCD reccomendation

Racer X

Reaction score
This is why we are doing the switch, During a pull the truck hits rev limiter almost immediatly. Josh@ RCD told us to throw a switch in to see what it does. I know of 1 6.0 that runs the switch per RCD reccomendation

Since we make and warranty our converters, we'd prefer customers ask us or one of our authorized dealers these type of questions. If RCD is an authorized dealer for another converter then RCD would be able to speak for safe use of modifications on behalf of the manufacturer who warranty's the converter. :)
Manually locking the TC Clutch with a correctly wired switch will override the PCM's operating strategy to unlock it @ any rpm. During a pull are the key words, there would be enough rpm and speed to apply a high quality converter's clutch safely until the sled transfers enough load to end the pull.

You'd need to remember it won't give you any extra pulling power @ low rpm and shouldn't be manually locked with a switch then. That applies to trucks used during daily driving, towing and work. Example: It shouldn't be applied manually below 20 m.p.h. while driving on the street regardless of what brand converter it is. Below 20 m.p.h. pulling a sled @ higher r.p.m. is entirely different operating conditions then you have while driving below 20 m.p.h. @ low r.p.m. during everyday use.

`

strokin6L

Reaction score
Since we make and warranty our converters, we'd prefer customers ask us or one of our authorized dealers these type of questions. If RCD is an authorized dealer for another converter then RCD would be able to speak for safe use of modifications on behalf of the manufacturer who warranty's the converter. :)
Manually locking the TC Clutch with a correctly wired switch will override the PCM's operating strategy to unlock it @ any rpm. During a pull are the key words, there would be enough rpm and speed to apply a high quality converter's clutch safely until the sled transfers enough load to end the pull.

You'd need to remember it won't give you any extra pulling power @ low rpm and shouldn't be manually locked with a switch then. That applies to trucks used during daily driving, towing and work. Example: It shouldn't be applied manually below 20 m.p.h. while driving on the street regardless of what brand converter it is. Below 20 m.p.h. pulling a sled @ higher r.p.m. is entirely different operating conditions then you have while driving below 20 m.p.h. @ low r.p.m. during everyday use.
`

You're right, those are two different conditions, but remember the 20mph your talking about is ground speed....not wheel speed. I would sure hope someone's wheel speed is higher than 20mph pulling a transfer sled....if not they shouldn't be pulling. I would think even if the ground speed is 20mph or less and the wheel speed being a bit higher...the PCM should still be able to lock the TC up under the right tuning, but maybe not. I know Josh at RCD deals with suncoast and their converters.

Last edited:

Beans71086

Reaction score

`

Is it safe to unlock the converter at the end of the pull? If you start to run out of power at the end?

STROKER

Reaction score
Trust me my wheel speeds a lot higher than 20mph. Honestly I could care less about the warantee I want it to run the best it can its a high hp truck not a tuned dd. Im planning on hitting the switch when I get the truck in 3rd and unlocking before I let out on the throttle. So what if its a little harder on it im glad josh gives me advice and a straight answer on. What I want the truck to do not what the manufacturer says. Just my. 02:)

Racer X

Reaction score
Is it safe to unlock the converter at the end of the pull? If you start to run out of power at the end?

Yes it is. When a sled begins bogging down your truck at the end of the run, that's a gray area where TCC slip can occur. If you could unlock it at the end of the pull at the exact millisecond before it can slip, that would be ideal. You probably can't do it with a manual switch perfectly. But, the thread is about using a manual TCC lock up switch.
I know some will choose a manual switch to use. So I posted some of the things to be aware of to prevent TCC damage using a manual switch. If someone does make a mistake and damage occurs because of a manual switch or any other modification, the switch seller or any other seller of things that modify TCC apply won't be responsible for how it is used or misused. They usually sell it as is, or if it has a defect they may replace it, but not anything else the defect damages….. I see RCD has a converter they are selling, so they would be able to help with safe use of mods used with their converters.

`

Racer X

Reaction score
You're right, those are two different conditions, but remember the 20mph your talking about is ground speed....not wheel speed. I would sure hope someone's wheel speed is higher than 20mph pulling a transfer sled....if not they shouldn't be pulling. I would think even if the ground speed is 20mph or less and the wheel speed being a bit higher...the PCM should still be able to lock the TC up under the right tuning, but maybe not. I know Josh at RCD deals with suncoast and their converters.

That was the point of saying they were entirely different. LOL :D
Someone somewhere will add a switch to a truck that doesn't pull... They have been since 1989. Have a great weekend! :)

`

DMAX

Reaction score
Yes it is. When a sled begins bogging down your truck at the end of the run, that's a gray area where TCC slip can occur. If you could unlock it at the end of the pull at the exact millisecond before it can slip, that would be ideal. You probably can't do it with a manual switch perfectly. But, the thread is about using a manual TCC lock up switch.
I know some will choose a manual switch to use. So I posted some of the things to be aware of to prevent TCC damage using a manual switch. If someone does make a mistake and damage occurs because of a manual switch or any other modification, the switch seller or any other seller of things that modify TCC apply won't be responsible for how it is used or misused. They usually sell it as is, or if it has a defect they may replace it, but not anything else the defect damages….. I see RCD has a converter they are selling, so they would be able to help with safe use of mods used with their converters.

`

Could care less about safe, you have to pay to play. And I know what a manual tc lock up switch does and what it can hurt, this thread is about the exact wire to use to make one but as stroker said this isn't no 400 hp daily driver its a high hp pulling truck and yes josh sells suncoast, so who's converters are you speaking for?

Latest posts

Members online