Tea Kettle Sound???

windrunner408

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a question about this so called "tea kettle" sound. I am hearing a whistle under my hood but definitely do not see any signs of coolant escaping my bottle (no white stuff on the bottle and no level changes either) so I am thinking it is my S&B air intake with this durastroke turbo I am running making the whistle. Thoughts???

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Y pipe isnt sealed correctly to the turbo, or the bellows on your up pipes are cracked/leaking

windrunner408

Reaction score
Ok got ya Greg. I only hear it sometimes at when I am at VERY light throttle (the truck is fully warm at normal operating temperature) at like 30mph (because that is the speed limit in my little bum fu@k town) and this was both before and after I did the injectors. It kind of sounds more like a screetch more than a whistle when it does do it because I DO almost always hear a light intake whistle.

kdogg85

Reaction score
It may be your degas cap went bad? Mine went bad but didn't puke, had to put my ear close to it though to make out what the cause was.

I thought the y pipe leaks had an air leak/whirring sound?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys for the SUPER quick responses. I even called Adrian to see if it was possibly the turbo. He said that he had the same problem and had to loosen everything up, reseat the y-pipe at the turbo, tighten the v-band clamp, and then tighten the manifold fittings; and then he didnt experience the problem anymore.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Definitely between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. If the connections are tight, then it is one of the flex sections of either up pipe. You sig lists an EGR delete, so the assumption is you have a solid passenger side up-pipe, so if it still whistles after the readjustment, it is the driver's side up-y-pipe. It will be the corrugated section, and less likely the braided section, though that can fail too. I just replaced mine for the same reason, annoying whistle at 3psi to 15psi boost.

60drvsuppipe2.jpg

diesel1.png

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea I'm thinking it is the connection at the turbo. Anyone know where I can get the some braided flex sections at though? I ask because I dont mind pulling the y-pipes, cutting the bellows out, and replacing them. BTW, yes I have the "Solid" passenger side pipe.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
im no fabricator, nor can I weld... but i believe you should have no problems, and im almost positive thats what all these guys are using.

AKHILF

Reaction score
It's something worth having someone that knows there way around a tig machine to weld them up. They will have good control over the weld.

windrunner408

Reaction score
I agree and I am not too shaby with my TIG welder. I just wasnt too sure about the differences in steel was all. Also TIG welders make way better looking welds IMO than MIG or stick welders because you can have so much more control with them. If you dont want to add filler metal and just want to add heat via the torch and move the puddle further, you can do that and go back over the areas you bubble gum up too. I love welding with my TIG welder for sure.

redracer62

Reaction score
Mine did the tea kettle sound a long time ago. Changed the degas cap but it Ended up being the hg's.

alwil

Reaction score
Mine did the tea kettle sound a long time ago. Changed the degas cap but it Ended up being the hg's.

Yeah I think he is talking about a different sound, when my HG were gone I could hear the one you are talking about too.....but only when I let off the foot feed and it was a real faint noise, any other time and my truck sounded normal.I think the one the op is talking about is continuous and loud in the cab.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
I had a whistling...I ignored it too long.....

...then it finally let go....

....up-pipes shouldn't be in multiple pieces....LOL LOL LOL

100_5581.jpg

Nic

Reaction score
i see you have studs..if you aint flashing coolant, get the cap tested..almost all of them fail especially if youre running a hot tune..the small spring just wears out. if you have a local diesel shop, test the cap.