Testing RCD's Ultimate 6.4 Torque Converter

powerstroker67

Reaction score
Well it was time to blow the dust of our shop 2008 F450 pickup and try some new parts. Been using it to mock up new wastegate kits and stainless steel intercooler pipes and downpipes. We got a new River City Diesel Ultimate 6.4 converter to try in place of the tried and true Suncoast that had been in there from the beginning. No changes were made in the tranny(previously built with all Suncoast parts including transgo pump upgrades). First impressions are that this converter is very much tighter than the Suncoast that came out, the fluid coupling is a great deal higher. The first thing you will notice is that when you put the truck into gear you really feel in now. The multiplier being used by RCD in the units is much tighter and puts more power to the ground than previous converters that have been in this truck. The truck has 4.88 gears so it doesn't spend much time in a non lockup state on the fluid side of the converter, but it certainly pulls harder from zero to until lockup. I have to say nice job to Josh, Jared and the crew at RCD for a nice piece. I've always been a fan of a tight converter and this is certainly it. It is a little aggresive in cold temps if you don't let the truck warm up for a few minutes, but it's worth the wait in the cold. As far as tuning that I've run with this converter, I've tried it all(execpt RCD Spartan tunes which I'm still waiting for). I started the tests with the updated Spartan 310 late lock file, then tried the RCD 585 on my SCT, then the KEM 345 on my SCT and finally the Innovative Extreme Race. This truck has always been tough to tune due to weight, gear ratio and that it's a Job 1 truck. The tranny has always wanted to make the last shift and lock the converter at the same time, this unfortunately knocks the RPM and rail pressure out of the truck. The RCD 585 tune seems to correct that but the pedal was still a little touchy. The updated 310 late lock file has a very smooth pedal and a slight delay between the last shift and lockup which helps. I'm waiting on a updated RCD Spartan tune to see if Josh can mix his shift fix for the F450 with the smoothness of the new 310 LL file. Updates to come.

Attachments

• RCD 64 TC 2.JPG
    RCD 64 TC 2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 78
  • RCD 64 TC 1.JPG
    RCD 64 TC 1.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 76
  • RCD 64 TC.JPG
    RCD 64 TC.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

twin_turbo

Reaction score
review

Thanks for the review. I was undecided on either RCD or suncoast and I am going to be ordering one of these pretty soon.

powerstroker67

Reaction score
How much are they? Will they work in a stock tranny?

$1250 and it includes the spring you need for the pump regulator upgrade if the rest of the tranny is still stock. No need to return a core, shipping should be around $40.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Nice to hear 450 made it out of the shop. Poor thing was just sitting there in the corner.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
These torque converters carry a 60 month (5 year) no b.s. warranty. Without limiting the foregoing, this warranty shall be null and void if repair or replacement is required because of improper installation, accident, physical or electrical stress, neglect, misuse or any other cause other than the ordinary and intended use for which the product was designed. This warranty expressly does not cover loss or injury from the use of the product.

Hows that stack up to the competition?

Jared

Shootingstar

Reaction score
$1250 and it includes the spring you need for the pump regulator upgrade if the rest of the tranny is still stock. No need to return a core, shipping should be around $40.

What all is involved in changing the spring? Is it a external thing or do you need to dump the transmissions guts?

bigastrk

Reaction score
Do you guys have something to help with a setup like mine that is in the cold about 8 months out of the year. It gets really cold up here (-30) or so at the coldest times.

I would be interested in upgrading mine but if the cold manners aren't that great then I don't think it would be a worth while upgrade.

Mavericktkw

Reaction score
i recently toasted my tranny and was looking at yalls web sight for a mildly built tranny, (not looking for any power north of 650 as i will be sticking with stock fuel) the only one i found was over 6k!! that is way to much for my budget.. do yall have anything comparable to elites stage two??

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Are you saying trucks with factory tuning or trucks running tunes with a factory trans?
Sorry I'm kinda slow sometimes.

tuning

i recently toasted my tranny and was looking at yalls web sight for a mildly built tranny, (not looking for any power north of 650 as i will be sticking with stock fuel) the only one i found was over 6k!! that is way to much for my budget.. do yall have anything comparable to elites stage two??

Call up and ask for me. Jared. 309-699-2488

powerstroker67

Reaction score
What all is involved in changing the spring? Is it a external thing or do you need to dump the transmissions guts?

To change the regulator spring, just the pump comes out of the front of the tranny. This can be done while the tranny is out for the converter. You will need to stand the tranny on it's end so the end the converter goes into is straight up. Not a big deal once the tranny is out of the truck.

Latest posts

Members online