Texas guys (DPF/EGR 2011+ content)

pjtamu12

Reaction score
I'm very, very new to diesels and have been thinking about doing the tune/egr/dpf route. Now, I read the DPS website about emissions testing and yadda yadda. I've tried Googling it but every forum discussion comes from from 2012 for before.

What has been your experience in getting an inspection? I live in Dallas county. I probably wouldn't mind spending the day to put everything back on to get it inspected, although it would be a bit of a pain. Is there anything I really need to be on the lookout for before I do this?

BK39

Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble. I'm in Dallas too. It was just a safety last time I had mine done.

pjtamu12

Reaction score
BK39 -- PM sent.

Starting to think it may be alright to go ahead and do it. My biggest fear is that I delete everything, get to an inspection shop and then be told that I'm screwed.

JMart

Reaction score
BK39 -- PM sent.

Starting to think it may be alright to go ahead and do it. My biggest fear is that I delete everything, get to an inspection shop and then be told that I'm screwed.

Worst case they fail you and you have to go back home and put the stuff on and come back. Never had an issue with my 08 deleted. Haven't had the no muffler issue with my other trucks either.

MorganM

Reaction score
I've had a few deleted trucks and never had a problem- for diesels they're completing a "safety only" inspection, and in my experience have never looked under the truck.

They dont hesitate to check the tint though...

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I only had a problem once. A small country inspection station wouldn't pass me as they were on strike 2 of 3 for passing straight piped trucks. I just went somewhere else.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
I just had mine inspected for the first time 2 weeks ago. I went to a small mom and pop shop that never gave me a problem with my last truck but they were packed. So I went by Jiffy Lube (not intending to actually have them do the inspection) but just to ask what all they check for. I said what about if there's no muffler. He goes just safety inspection....I was like there is a muffler there of course. haha

I had my sticker and was out 15 minutes later.

Worse case scenario, you go to a shop, they see you don't have a muffler and fail you. You have x amount of time (want to say it's like 15 days but not positive) to fix it and come back and they'll pass you then. I've had issues like that on my previous gas trucks.

donniesd

Reaction score
I'm very, very new to diesels and have been thinking about doing the tune/egr/dpf route. Now, I read the DPS website about emissions testing and yadda yadda. I've tried Googling it but every forum discussion comes from from 2012 for before.

What has been your experience in getting an inspection? I live in Dallas county. I probably wouldn't mind spending the day to put everything back on to get it inspected, although it would be a bit of a pain. Is there anything I really need to be on the lookout for before I do this?

No Emissions testing for Diesels in Texas as of 2/25/2014 7:30pm.

Only safety.

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exempt
11. Exempt
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
21. Window Tint.

Last edited:

straggleweed

Reaction score
I'm west of Fort Worth.
Last year when I went to get my 2010 inspected the first place gave me the no muffler line... I went down the road to the next place and got my sticker. The guy that passed mine even showed me the rules where it says that a turbine can be substituted for a muffler...

My new 13 isn't due for inspection until 2015, I'll be going back to the guy that passed my last one.

Latest posts

Members online