The Big 3 on one truck/Dyno

jwalk09

Reaction score
I switched back to spar10 tunes because I didn't feel comfortable daily driving yet alone towing with those numbers. EBP being high it's good for the engine. This is what I have found:

At increased back pressure levels, the engine has to compress the exhaust gases to a higher pressure which involves additional mechanical work and/or less energy extracted by the exhaust turbine which can affect intake manifold boost pressure. This can lead to an increase in fuel consumption, PM and CO emissions and exhaust temperature. The increased exhaust temperature can result in overheating of exhaust valves and the turbine. An increase in NOx emissions is also possible due to the increase of engine load.

So what are normal back pressure numbers during slight acceleration, wot, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalk09

Reaction score
Yes sir. At WOT It's almost 1:1.

But you see it spike a lot over boost during low throttle ? Would a ccv reroute affect it at all ?

Jomax

Reaction score
But you see it spike a lot over boost during low throttle ? Would a ccv reroute affect it at all ?

It will spike at first sometimes, but only if I punch it from a 45mph roll,etc.

jwalk09

Reaction score
Oh I noticed mine would spike to around 40 when boost was only like 8 or so during slow acceleration from a stop

Jomax

Reaction score
Oh I noticed mine would spike to around 40 when boost was only like 8 or so during slow acceleration from a stop

It all depends when the veins open/close. Can honestly happen at any throttle position.

I wouldn't worry about it

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Lol... a 7.3L with a hot tune and stock turbo will bush 60psi EBP....

It's funny 10 years later we are worried about 40psi ebp. Back in the day it was like "Cool man I got 60psi ebp"

I wouldn't sweat 45psi ebp spike... or even a steady 40...

jwalk09

Reaction score

It's funny 10 years later we are worried about 40psi ebp. Back in the day it was like "Cool man I got 60psi ebp"

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the diesel scene

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

lol. i was just gonna say that my dually has pegged a 60psi bp gauge.

nice comparison fellas! i doubt any of them would be hard on rods as enough time has bean spent making the tunes what they are but if it where an issue, P!P would be the easiest on them with nearly the same horsepower.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

higherlife

Reaction score
lol. i was just gonna say that my dually has pegged a 60psi bp gauge.

nice comparison fellas! i doubt any of them would be hard on rods as enough time has bean spent making the tunes what they are but if it where an issue, P!P would be the easiest on them with nearly the same horsepower.

live life full throttle

So yalls 7.3 would hit 60 psi of ebp with 0 boost?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So yalls 7.3 would hit 60 psi of ebp with 0 boost?
no but it went past 1:2 ratio a lot.. i am assuming that it's the blade hesitation on the 6.7 and quicker spool features that make it do that.

live life full throttle

higherlife

Reaction score
no but it went past 1:2 ratio a lot.. i am assuming that it's the blade hesitation and quicker spool features that make it do that.

live life full throttle

Gotcha. I know things got a little off topic but it was brought up that the tunes are spiking ebp at very low speeds while 0 boost is being created. I had sometime yesterday afternoon so I data logged it and the highest I got was 47 psi/0 boost. It only happens when I come out of a compete dead stop or a slight roll and it kept it high until around 5 psi boost then it would drop.
I think this has to do with the turbo vains being turned off. I understand ebp helps the turbo spool but it seems a bit excessive imo.

higherlife

Reaction score
now doing a wide open run or towing something heavy, i would expect ebp to get up there but it would coincide with boost to some degree and create your 1:2 ratio or something like that.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Gotcha. I know things got a little off topic but it was brought up that the tunes are spiking ebp at very low speeds while 0 boost is being created. I had sometime yesterday afternoon so I data logged it and the highest I got was 47 psi/0 boost. It only happens when I come out of a compete dead stop or a slight roll and it kept it high until around 5 psi boost then it would drop.
I think this has to do with the turbo vains being turned off. I understand ebp helps the turbo spool but it seems a bit excessive imo.

Is this on one if these tunes that has the "idle hiss" turned off?

Jomax

Reaction score
Interesting thought. I see where your going with this.

Put up with the hiss or have a laggy turbo off the line?

I'm not experiencing any of this. Nor do I have a laggy turbo. I have my cts2 alert me when I hit 50psi EBP. And I hit that at the same time as before. Nothing changed for me in that aspect.

Latest posts

Members online