The Great Coolant Mystery

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I've been fully deleted, tuned, etc for around 10,000 miles now so far so good.

Changing the oil today and went to check to Coolant level getting everything ready for spring and it's below the fill level, heck I think its empty can't even see any.

Checked all over the thing for a leak and can't find anything leaking, no puddles under it after being parked overnight, coolant cap holds pressure, temp is fine while driving (188-199 in 30-40 degree weather) and I don't baby this thing, have never smelled any cooking off, never thrown a coolant code, and changing the oil today the oil was fine no coolant in the oil.

I've checked twice today and haven't found anything about to go check a third time because I can not figure out where the heck its going and its bugging the heck outta me! :wtf:

Does anyone know how to solve the Great Coolant Mystery on this thing?

50_shooter

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 11. One day my heater wouldn't work, just blew cold air. it was a gallon low on coolant. never did figure it out. no leaks, no smell (at first). Started smelling it, but couldn't find the leak, nor could a mechanic. traded it in and never did figure it out.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Its confusing the heck outta me. Truck had just a slight coat of dirt on it so a leak would be super easy to find. Took the light and crawled all over the thing.

Tempted to pull the intercooler and see if its leaking into the intercooler? I highly doubt thats the problem. Truck runs great its just annoying when I can't figure something out. I'd almost rather it be a blatant leak then at least I could be like " well theres your problem" hahaha

50_shooter

Reaction score
On mine, once it started to smell, it definitely was burning off on the engine. If you stood downwind of the engine sometimes you could smell it. I am sure it wasn't burning it through the engine, as the exhaust didn't smell like coolant. I know that the dealer said they had some trouble with the radiators, something about the welds on it. They didn't think that was my problem, but it might be yours.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Yeah I've checked the radiator a couple times. My buddy just had his crack a week ago and had to replace his so I've been watching it. At this point seeing as theres no sign of what it is I'm just going to top it off and watch it for awhile and see how fast it loses coolant. I would think if the radiator is cracked it'd be loosing coolant a lot faster than it is because when my buddy had to get his replaced it was dripping down on the frame and onto the floor and was very visible what the problem was.

I'll probably have to pressure test it and pray its not a head gasket.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I bought my truck in december with 62k when i bought it coolant was at the full line. Couple weeks i checked it And couldnt see any in the tank unless i looked down into the fill. I added about 3/4 of a gallon of distilled water back upto full. Couple weekes later same thing.. Filled it back up with ford orange about half a gallon. Checked everywhere.. Nothing. Now its been fine for a couple months..

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
You have the EGR deleted ? If so what brand kit ?

Honestly couldn't tell ya. No markings on the plates. Bought it through Unlimited Diesel Performance in Ohio so it's whatever brand they picked out. Get a hold of them if you need one. Awesome guys to do business with.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I bought my truck in december with 62k when i bought it coolant was at the full line. Couple weeks i checked it And couldnt see any in the tank unless i looked down into the fill. I added about 3/4 of a gallon of distilled water back upto full. Couple weekes later same thing.. Filled it back up with ford orange about half a gallon. Checked everywhere.. Nothing. Now its been fine for a couple months..

Interesting. I just put about 1/2 gallon of the Motorcraft Orange coolant in it tonight. I'm curious to see how it does. Truck has no signs of any damage but I'll be watching closely for a week and monitor the coolant.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Honestly couldn't tell ya. No markings on the plates. Bought it through Unlimited Diesel Performance in Ohio so it's whatever brand they picked out. Get a hold of them if you need one. Awesome guys to do business with.

LoL I work for a shop, but I was asking because if its an H&S kit the little rubber caps have no webbing in them. So they crack and rupture over time and cause leaks. So if you do have that kit you may want to look there. Also you'll want to get with Steve @ Absolute Performance for his age coolant loop kit.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
haha yeah sorry saw your signature after I replied. I was actually looking at that little rubber cap today. Don't think its leaking but it is starting to crack a little. I was thinking to myself if there was a way to loop it so the coolant actually flows. I'll look into for sure!

MorganY

Reaction score
Your turbo is probably eating coolant, or leaking at the 'jiffy tight' fittings.

Leak at the connections is a small leak that can be hard to find

ClayStewart

Reaction score
Same issue with mine. Ended up being the primary water pump. I just put my 3rd one on yesterday. No idea why they keep leaking out of the release hole. Check behind the pulley of the pump and you may see some coolant residue.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Your turbo is probably eating coolant, or leaking at the 'jiffy tight' fittings.

Leak at the connections is a small leak that can be hard to find

What are these "jiffy tight" fittings? I have plans to swap the turbo but probably not till next winter.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Same issue with mine. Ended up being the primary water pump. I just put my 3rd one on yesterday. No idea why they keep leaking out of the release hole. Check behind the pulley of the pump and you may see some coolant residue.

I'll check it out. But I've yet to see any sign or residue. I think it may be the worlds slowest leak. Fluid level hasn't moved in 2 days since I topped it off.

I think my truck is playing games with me :shrug:

MorganY

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Here's an example of the leak. Hard to see

Could be your water pump too..

Last edited:

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Ok I see where you're talking about now. This weekend I'm gonna look this thing over real good again and see if I can't nail it down

I guess if it's my turbo that gives me a valid excuse to do the turbo swap sooner right?

Latest posts

Members online