Thermostats - OEM, Gates, or Mishimoto

KTM300

Reaction score
Getting ready to do radiator hoses and thermostats. Any recommendations on what brand to use: OEM, Gates, or Mishimoto? How about hoses: OEM or Gates?

KTM300

Reaction score
I live in Montana, so I am not sure that I want lower temp thermostats, but I also am not sure that I want their higher than stock thermostats.

Martin #6

Reaction score
I live in Montana, so I am not sure that I want lower temp thermostats, but I also am not sure that I want their higher than stock thermostats.

I live in cold county also. The Mishimoto's open 4-5 degrees cooler than OEM. Between those and the BPD 1/2 oil kit, I run a winter front cover to keep the temps up.

dohcter

Reaction score
I run both oem and mishimoto. The lower temps mishimotos are great for the summer time, but not for winter. Stock stats for winter. In the summer i ran 197-199 coolant temp and 208-212 eot. After the mishimoto lower temp stats I see 179-186 coolant and never over 199 eot. These are running empty. Just before i took the low temp stats out a week ago, the truck would not get above 160*. I have 2 stat housing, and with the coolers ******d ,makes a 30 min job out of it.

KTM300

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! Nice to get a true back to back comparison. I already ordered OEM stats and now know that I made the right choice. I wonder how the high temp Mishis would compare.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Typically diesels do better at higher temps. I remember the 7.3 guys going to higher stats I think?

KTM300

Reaction score
Typically diesels do better at higher temps. I remember the 7.3 guys going to higher stats I think?
Yep, a lot of 7.3 guys switched to 203 degree thermostats. It was suppose to help both power and mileage.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I ordered the last 180 degree t stat Riffraff had a few weeks ago. Saving it until late next spring to put it in. Leaving the stocker in for winter.

Latest posts

Members online