Thinking about buying a gooseneck?

yotaneck13

Reaction score
So the trailer i usually pull is being sold. Long story short. I put money into to get it up to par now theyre selling it for way more than they have into it. :frustrate:

So ive been combing craiglist. To tell you the truth i have no idea what to get.

I want a gooseneck 20-30 ft. I live in pa and have my truck registered at 4b so i want to be legal with what im pulling. I also want to be able to fit lower cars and trucks so mabye a gooseneck isnt for mee?

Help im so confused. I read one thing and think i know what to buy. Then next page says something different.

sent while hittin' easy street on mud tires

HOOV3R

Reaction score
What are you planning on grossing hauling? A 4b doesn't go that far with a heavy load. Also, you need a class a cdl to be legit.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
I have no clue on the gross. Depends on the load. I haul alot of scrap and personal vehicles. What requires me to have a class a? Like weight legnth? I read the thread on here about pa tow laws but i came out more confused than when.i went in. Also what does my 4b allow me to pull. When i bought the truck, thats what the dealership told me i should register at.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Just read on the dmv website that a cdl is only needed if the combination of my truck and trailer is over 26001lbs provided the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10klbs?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Depending on who you talk to about the law, some enforce any trailer registered over 10k.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
So if i keep my trailer registered under 10k i should be good?

02BigD

Reaction score
So if i keep my trailer registered under 10k i should be good?

Trailer tagged for 10k, and make certain the tow vehicle is tagged for max vehicle weight plus max trailer weight. Should be around 22k lbs.

VanoFord

Reaction score
I'm not sure about PA, but here in Tx its the same for a CDL, if you gross 25,9 (if i remember correctly). You also will need it if you plan on running Haz Mat. Tx has 4 parts, including the Haz Mat that are required for a CDL A, since the truck I will be running does not have air brakes I get to skip those tests.

yeehaw

Reaction score
http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=B6

that's what i bought but in a gooseneck, it's tough to get a really super low car on it. But the deck is only 28 inches from the ground.

599058_338586396253723_21727856_n_zpsc6231b59.jpg

blake_zps036b7117.jpg

fordanddodge_zps08ac55a3.jpg

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Yea im looking into a tilt deck. But i got wind of layoffs commin soon mabye even tomorrow. So it maybe shot down for now

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
This is about the lowest I can get on my lowboy.
427356_509248649092448_485102583_n.jpg

If the stuff your moving is close to laying the frame down, I would say a tilt deck is your only option. Or a pair of 10' ramps for a lowboy gooseneck.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Yea that vette sits higher than my buddys mustang and we have yet to find a trailer it will go on. Im going to call about options on a tilt deck. Mabye save money by going gravity tilt

Latest posts

Members online