Thinking about buying truck - bad oil leak

darkside708

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a truck from Salt Lake City (02 7.3), and had it independently inspected yesterday since I don't trust the dealers "inspector". Said it has an oil leak near timing cover and front of the oil pan. Dealer says it's not dripping on the ground or anything which Is hard to believe. Wanted to post a few pictures to see if you all can maybe help out since I'm extremely pissed now that the dealer did not originally disclose this to me. Searched a few threads and came up with a bunch of different answers... timing cover, oil rail plug, oil cooler, lpop, etc... Thanks.

Attachments

• tc1.JPG
    tc1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 81
  • tc2.JPG
    tc2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 78
  • tc3.JPG
    tc3.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 80

darkside708

Reaction score
If there's anyone local willing to check it out I'd greatly appreciate it and throw some gas/diesel money your way.

mandkole

Reaction score
Unless its leaving puddles everywhere, its not a bad leak and got cruddy over a lot of time. Most dealers or sellers wouldnt pay attention to it. Its looks like nothing that would keep me from buying it if the rest was great-- use it as a negotiation point.

Give it a good bath (be careful of electrical plugs when spraying water on a PSD) then look closer. Could be a few different things but Id be focused on the front oil rail plugs. The rail plugs are behind the accessory brackets and easy to fix once the brackets are removed.

7.3obs

Reaction score
X2 on oil rail plugs, what are they? 10$ for two now on diesel orings? How many miles on the truck, body in good shape? What's the asking price?

darkside708

Reaction score
Thanks guys. He said he'll have it checked again and fixed. Body and rest of truck are in good shape. 213k miles. Has it priced for a little over nada value. 13,995. Rust free trucks here go for even more ridiculous prices, that's why I'm looking out of state.

Latest posts

Members online