thinking about going 1 piece driveshaft on rear

lc tpi

Reaction score
hi guys , i have a 95 cc/lb 4x4 just swaped to a sd pcm 4r100 and sd tcase. instead of modifying my rear drive shaft to fit the sd tcase i was thinking of upgrading to the 1410 rear pinnion yoke and running a 1 piece driveshaft . i already have a sd front driveshaft but the rear i dont have. i would think a 1 piece would be stronger for pulling and higher hp. my truck is between 450-500 hp guestimate with my setup. i do pull up to 15k. i would runa drive shaft loop also if i went this route. if anyone has any info please share this with me i have wonderd why these trucks run carrier bearing in the first place, is it because of angles of suspension and driveline to keep the geometry right? harmonics in the line? thanks for any info.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that every shaft has a 'critical speed', or a RPM that if exceeded will result in the shaft folding itself in half, regardless of the torque being applied.
How fast (mph) this happens at all depends on tire size, gearing, and length of the shaft.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.htm

Just something to consider.

lc tpi

Reaction score
i will check with the local driveshaft shop i use and see if they can put a new weld yoke on the tcase side and run the 1410 at the top. and talk with them and see what they say about a one piece. they do have a top of the line driveshaft balancer for three piece drivelines and they do all the industrial to rock crawlers and street cars around here. see what info they have for me.

lc tpi

Reaction score
Off topic but, where did you get the info to do the sd PCM swap?
I have read a few threads about doing it on the 5spd trucks but never found anyone that had done it on a e4od truck. I bought a electrical schematic for my 95 and have the schematic for a 2000. I put my Bts 4r100 in my 95 with a 2000 pcm .and as soon as I button everything up on the driveline and cooler I will post up my results on how it runs and drives with the ad PCM and 4r100. I have written down everything I have done and might do a thread on the whole thing. Well see. I had 2 sd wiring harnesses I picked apart for reference and plugs and such so it was pretty easy.

lc tpi

Reaction score
Involves rep inning the PCM plug and running extra wires to the trans and one extra sensor on the motor and few small other things like tuning on my chip for the ad programing

Latest posts

Members online