Thinking about going back to Vgt.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Now I will prolly get some negative response here, but I am considering going back to Vgt from my 366. I am considering this so I can tow more and still do my weekend warrior/dd... My biggest question is could I get away with just throwing a powermax on for awhile until I can afford to get it modded to a 68 or 71? I hear the new big vgts are quite the turbos... Any advice on a decent tow, dd, strip, and do everything truck? I'm running 205/75s

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I personally think you should track down whatever is making your truck not make any power or run well and then figure out what you want to do...

04stroker

Reaction score
I would go back to Vgt with what your saying you want the 71 I'm testing for Barder is a monster and awesome for the short time I got to enjoy it. But I would do what Josh said and look into your high pressure oil issue. I think you have a weak pump my stock oil system was maintaing pressure in the street tune with 215/100 injectors. That was a early style pump.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I would go back to Vgt with what your saying you want the 71 I'm testing for Barder is a monster and awesome for the short time I got to enjoy it. But I would do what Josh said and look into your high pressure oil issue. I think you have a weak pump my stock oil system was maintaing pressure in the street tune with 215/100 injectors. That was a early style pump.

Yeah he has to have a hpo issue. Hell my truck went mid 12s with a 72 and some injectors that flowed like less than 200cc. And it still spooled well enough to do some light towing...

On another note, I heard from eric that that turbo is an animal and you already may have had some bad luck :/ LOL

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I agree with dzlpwr that you need to get the truck running well before jumping back to a vgt turbo. If anything that might give you more headaches right away. There is just more to worry about with a vgt turbo. It would be easier to narrow down and fix problems with your non-vgt turbo before adding vgt tuning into the possible problems your truck is having.

With that said... I have had guys switch from an s366 to a 68mm stage 3 vgt turbo and switch from a 68mm stage 3 vgt turbo to an s366. They all had about the same experience. The 68mm Stage 3 vgt turbo spooled way faster and had better drive ability. Tuning really helped out the s366 but it was still pretty easy to get under the turbo and lose drive ability. On the other hand neither turbo flowed a ton more of air. I sometimes had guys report that the s366 flowed more air and others who said the 68mm stage 3 flowed more.

What I am getting at is that I would not plan to switch from an s366 to a 68mm stage 3 turbo and expect to gain a ton of power. I would imagine much better driveability, spool up, and towing... but not a big gain in power. If you jump up to a 71mm vgt turbo you will gain some air... but then lose a little bit of drive ability again.

I hope that helps a little. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Sounds like someone has a injector issue that needs to be looked at a truck with that size injectors should be making power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

strokin6L

Reaction score
Rykan....how tow worthy would your setup be with the 71mm vgt and those 215/100's? I would imagine that quite a bit of fuel will need to be pulled right? I wouldn't mind jumping to a 71 someday if I knew my 190/75 would be enough and I wouldn't sacrifice any more drivability from running the 68mm vgt I have now.

04stroker

Reaction score
Sounds like someone has a injector issue that needs to be looked at a truck with that size injectors should be making power

He does have a injector issue. Simply put THEY WERE A MESS! LOL He sent them to me I did the best I could with them but can only do so much with cores especially when starting from something like that. I think he is planning on doing them again starting with Ford injectors.

Josh, THat turbo was an animal did not get to enjoy it for long! haha Rods will be here this week.

Chris, I could not honestly tell you much about the 71mm yet other than it spooled pretty well and was an animal. I was not monitoring much was heading back to the shop to hook up some more gauges when I bent a rod. I will have more info next week hopefully.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Yes some people's cores are not salvageable what so ever we get them all the time

william_ace

Reaction score
I'm very interested to see how the 71mm does! But with 230k, I'm not sure my rods could handle it haha

strokin6L

Reaction score
He does have a injector issue. Simply put THEY WERE A MESS! LOL He sent them to me I did the best I could with them but can only do so much with cores especially when starting from something like that. I think he is planning on doing them again starting with Ford injectors.

Josh, THat turbo was an animal did not get to enjoy it for long! haha Rods will be here this week.

Chris, I could not honestly tell you much about the 71mm yet other than it spooled pretty well and was an animal. I was not monitoring much was heading back to the shop to hook up some more gauges when I bent a rod. I will have more info next week hopefully.

Very interested how the setup does when you get it back running Rykan! Cause I'm interested in knowing where your setup starts making boost and what cruising boost and cruising egts are at. Does the truck have a ported intake and aftermarket exhaust manifolds? I wouldn't mind towing with my current setup if I ever had to(maybe 6-8K). Just don't know how well it'd do by pulling fuel back by running a tow tune with 190/75's.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I have actually tracked down the issue, I had the chance to data log with ae at the strip, I'm just running out of hpo... And it looks to be that the seals are shot on my 66, plus warranty just went up on it. The truck is a monster on the low end, just flat falls on it's face gets smokey and hot.... The hight volts we saw on the track was 3.1v and that was during a shift most of the time it stayed around 2.4v... My main issue is I'm picking up a new toy soon and it will have to be trailered every where... Gonna be around 8-9k loaded down pulling decent hills and there's no way my 66 will handle that

04stroker

Reaction score
May have a pump getting weak let me know if you decide to a turbo and I can get you one. I dont blame you for replacing it if the seals are going out of the 366 and your thinking of switching anyway.

04stroker

Reaction score
Very interested how the setup does when you get it back running Rykan! Cause I'm interested in knowing where your setup starts making boost and what cruising boost and cruising egts are at. Does the truck have a ported intake and aftermarket exhaust manifolds? I wouldn't mind towing with my current setup if I ever had to(maybe 6-8K). Just don't know how well it'd do by pulling fuel back by running a tow tune with 190/75's.

Yes I will have some numbers soon. I am running a ported manifold the guys at WPE hooked me up with, the no remorse style exhaust manifolds, and upgraded uppipes. Also have stage 2 billet cam and some light porting done on the heads.

I will be hooking up a drive pressure gauge as well so I will have numbers for boost, egts, drive pressure etc... for highway cruising town driving and may even hook it up to a trailer with a skid steer or something on it for fun to see how it does.

smokedout250

Reaction score
May have a pump getting weak let me know if you decide to a turbo and I can get you one. I dont blame you for replacing it if the seals are going out of the 366 and your thinking of switching anyway.

I'm thinking about picking up a stocker to throw in it and do that dual kit we talked about down the road or an rcd unit. The thing i noticed is that this has been an issue even with my 175s... In the high rpms it's always fell on it's face. The 71s are very interesting and I'm liking the reviews I'm hearing about these big vgts! I'm prolly gonna gather all the parts up and swap it back over the summer...

Latest posts

Members online