Thinking about joining the 6.4 world

Pigman

Reaction score
Right now I have a 2003 7.3 with 285k miles and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 6.4. I love my 7.3 to death, but I just had an injector go bad and I'm sure the other 7 are soon to follow. I'm still on the original injectors, turbo, HPOP and everything so there's a few grand of maintenance in my near future. I would really like a truck that's more DD friendly; better interior, smoother ride, quieter, and more power. I thought I'd ask you guys what y'all would do in my position and how y'all like the 6.4's. Which year, if any, seems to have less problems than the others? What is the maximum mileage I should consider? The main problems I've heard of in 6.4's are cracked pistons and water in fuel. How are these problems avoided? I'm not looking to do much with this truck. Probably just a leveling kit, Gearhead tuning, CAI, exhaust, and DPF and EGR deletes. I'm not going to be towing or off-roading either and my price range is going to be $20-25k. So what do y'all think? Keep the 7.3 or get a 6.4?

PSD

Reaction score
To give you some of my background ive had the following:

95 psd 7.3 tuned
99 psd 7.3 tuned
08 psd 6.4 stock (current)
08 psd 6.4 tuned (current)

02 cummins tuned
04 cummins modded peaked 700hp

I would smoked tuned 6.4's all day in my cummins but tuned 6.4s would give me a run for my money for sure but I had much more money into the cummins. I now have a tuned 6.4 and love it. I can drive it like I stole it without having smoke which is awesome! Deletes are a must, its a whole different game with a tune and it can breathe now. Pretty high numbers can come out of 6.4's with stock internals and such.

Long story short, get a 6.4. You'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it a long time ago.

Hope this helps

PSD

Reaction score
Ive only been averaging 16mpg at 5000 feet in CO which Im not too happy about since thats what my cummins got for much more power. Customs tunes will help that though.

Maintenance key on 6.4's though. That cracked piston and melted piston stuff is from the emissions stuff so Ive heard. Its known that the early job 08's have some issues but nothing to major. So to answer your question 09 and 10 won't have these issues. 08's are cheaper though. Lower miles will usually have less miles but it all depends on the previous owner!

PSD

Reaction score
Tx has a very good truck market so you shouldn't having a problem getting a good truck for your price range.

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Just put my 2010 up for sale due to all the issues it has had. From what I have learned its luck of the draw with these engines and transmissions. I thought I'd keep this truck for a long time but for me it has been constant repairs and let downs. It's like anything you get, beat it and you'll pay for it. I have a cummins and a 7.3 we use at work every day. If I had to drive long distance, I'd trust either truck over my 6.4. Just my opinion.

DWhite

Reaction score
I hear you on the 7.3. I had a '99 7.3 and sold it to my dad and is now our farm truck. It has 251k on it and all original except batteries, alternator and belts. It feels like it is starting to miss a little but it only gets drove when cattle are hauled to town. So 1 time every month or 2.

You are going to get people to tell you to keep your 7.3 and fix it up over the 6.4. But I've had two 6.4s and I love my current one. Mine is an early job 08 with 169k on it and it is going strong so far with stock pistons. Knock on wood. The pistons seem to be a crap shoot. You may crack one you may not. To solve the problem you could run aftermarket pistons or have yours coated if you get a 6.4 to prevent the cracking.

They are awesome if you get the small issues worked out or they could be a money pit. Depends on how well it is taken care of and what kind of you put into it.

ckrueg

Reaction score
My 2010 has 310k on it and runs perfect. I bought it deleted with a stock power tune in it at 275k, and I'm not sure if it ever had major engine or Trans work on it but the records didn't show anything. Probably a risk buying it but it was 12k and was owned by a company that always did proper maintenance and was in great shape. Also i figured it either had a newer engine or it was a good one to make it that far. I came from 7.3s and I love it, never had any problems except for a tentioner and starter solenoid. Also my dad and buddy both want a 6.4 after driving mine. everytime me and my buddies are at the bar, someone offers to drive for me because they want to drive my truck haha. I run it on the h&s street tune (+225hp) and have no problems. I don't beat on it, but I do get on it every few days. I would get one if I was you, just have some money set aside because if something goes wrong, usually it's $2000++.

Last edited:

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Dwhite said it right. It's a total gamble on the internals. For me personally, it was the unreliability that made me decide to list it. Pigman, also be honest with yourself if u can always swing a major repair, read the thread "injector issue" poor kid thought it was something dumb now he needs a motor. I thought this would be my dd that I can beat on a bit and it has drained me bad. Parts are very costly and not all repairs are easy like an old 7.3. But hey, u might get one that will last forever. Good luck

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
As much as I love my 6.4, I'd personally wait for the 6.7's to come down in price and get one of those. With the advancements they've been making and how well they ride and drive and have been very reliable. And reliability with the 6.4 is luck of the draw with them. Mine come to find out had a jasper reman thrown in, and it chucked 2 rods and MPD found that out it was a jasper when doing the rebuild. But it had a clean OASIS other than a steering box and convertor. You're maintanace that's coming up is way cheaper than what happened to me. And I mean way cheaper.

In my opinion I'd hold out a little while longer if its a good truck and look for deals on 6.7's. Once that aluminum body comes out I think prices on them will drop even more

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.