Thinking bout a stage 1 cam.

Joe_strokem

Reaction score
Any input? Motor is apart and getting all new valve train. Going with barder stage 3 and 190/100. Getting apex manifold too. Motor has 150k miles on it. Only things that will be left stock so far are the crankshaft, connecting rods, valves, and the rocker arms.

04stroker

Reaction score
I would. We carry the Colt Cams same as most people in the industry use. I have them in stock ready to ship as well. We have noticed very good gains in dropping EGT's, faster spool up, and better power. Really no downside to it. Let me know if I can help or you can call the shop anytime to talk more about it. I can give you some examples of trucks we have done them on.

Snoop

Reaction score
Only regret I have is not doing cam. I just couldn't swing the valve train upgrade at the time. But I suppose the high rev kit isn't necessary for a cam, but def a good idea.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
Its a lot of work to do a cam.. I'm sure its an awesome upgrade but for the average joe all you really need is valve springs

swinky

Reaction score
I want to bump this up to see if anybody else is running the stg 1. I'm on the fence between pushrods, springs, lifters and cam or saying screw it and just doing pushrods and springs. Trucks an 03 with 220k s366 and 190s. Cabs coming up anyway.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

ford rules

Reaction score
I would if I were you^ I regret not doing mine when I studded it. You may wanna consider rocker arms with 220000 on the stockers

TooMuch03

Reaction score
I am running an Elite stage 1 cam, the specs are closer to the Colt Stage 2 than stage 1. It's been in the truck since 2008 with an entirely stock valve train and no issues. I am happy with it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I want to bump this up to see if anybody else is running the stg 1. I'm on the fence between pushrods, springs, lifters and cam or saying screw it and just doing pushrods and springs. Trucks an 03 with 220k s366 and 190s. Cabs coming up anyway.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I went through this same dilemma and ended up not doing any of it. I even thought about just pushrods or even just pushrods and springs etc. Pushrods seem like a decent idea, but the reason i didn't go with them was the though of adding the extra weight of the beefier pushrods which would in turn make it easier to float valves. How much easier? I'm not sure, I didn't do the math, but just the thought of it made me decide it wasn't worth it. The valve spring would just have to work that much harder to keep everything closed with more mass being flung around. Well, why not just add the springs? Well, I'm not sure how beefy these cams are, but back when I raced ATV's, stiffer valve springs and heavy pushrods on a stockish cam was a sure fire way to wear the cam out faster, for no reason. The extra spring pressure just puts more pressure on the cam lobes. It's not like I haven't seen a few 6.0 cam lobes wiped off on the forums.... so I also scratched that idea. I figured the only RIGHT way to do this was do the springs, the cam, and the pushrods all at once. I ended up not doing it simply because pulling the transmission to do the cam wasn't in the cards at the time. It also went from an original plan of $250 on pushrods to $1200-$1500 extra for the pushrods, cam, and valve springs and it just wasn't in the budget.

Most of my decision was based on theory and my limited budget, so take it FWIW.

swinky

Reaction score
I am running an Elite stage 1 cam, the specs are closer to the Colt Stage 2 than stage 1. It's been in the truck since 2008 with an entirely stock valve train and no issues. I am happy with it.

I would if I were you^ I regret not doing mine when I studded it. You may wanna consider rocker arms with 220000 on the stockers

I went through this same dilemma and ended up not doing any of it. I even thought about just pushrods or even just pushrods and springs etc. Pushrods seem like a decent idea, but the reason i didn't go with them was the though of adding the extra weight of the beefier pushrods which would in turn make it easier to float valves. How much easier? I'm not sure, I didn't do the math, but just the thought of it made me decide it wasn't worth it. The valve spring would just have to work that much harder to keep everything closed with more mass being flung around. Well, why not just add the springs? Well, I'm not sure how beefy these cams are, but back when I raced ATV's, stiffer valve springs and heavy pushrods on a stockish cam was a sure fire way to wear the cam out faster, for no reason. The extra spring pressure just puts more pressure on the cam lobes. It's not like I haven't seen a few 6.0 cam lobes wiped off on the forums.... so I also scratched that idea. I figured the only RIGHT way to do this was do the springs, the cam, and the pushrods all at once. I ended up not doing it simply because pulling the transmission to do the cam wasn't in the cards at the time. It also went from an original plan of $250 on pushrods to $1200-$1500 extra for the pushrods, cam, and valve springs and it just wasn't in the budget.

Most of my decision was based on theory and my limited budget, so take it FWIW.

Good points guys. Mdub I think you're quite a bit lower mileage than me. I'm thinking if I do pushrods, springs, lifters and a cam this thing will be very solid regardless of being high mileage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score

Notice any gains in top end?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I regret not doing a cam when mine was apart last year. Had the money set aside for it and everything... Seems like a year later they are a lot more proven though. I say go for it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Good points guys. Mdub I think you're quite a bit lower mileage than me. I'm thinking if I do pushrods, springs, lifters and a cam this thing will be very solid regardless of being high mileage.

119k on the ticker. Did the studs at around 115k. I think I will drive it for the summer and over the winter tear into it again to do 6.4 stock pushrods, and new OEM lifters. I'm not saying you shouldn't replace the parts in there, if the mileage is high, but just thinking about whether or not the upgraded stuff is needed. Knowing what I know now, I would have at least done the 6.4 pushrods when it was apart, they're not that expensive.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
119k on the ticker. Did the studs at around 115k. I think I will drive it for the summer and over the winter tear into it again to do 6.4 stock pushrods, and new OEM lifters. I'm not saying you shouldn't replace the parts in there, if the mileage is high, but just thinking about whether or not the upgraded stuff is needed. Knowing what I know now, I would have at least done the 6.4 pushrods when it was apart, they're not that expensive.

This might sound dumb, but why the 6.4 pushrods? RCD ones aren't all that expensive

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Notice any gains in top end?

Hard to say. Like pretty much everyone else, other mods were done at the same time.

This might sound dumb, but why the 6.4 pushrods? RCD ones aren't all that expensive

6.4 pushrods are shorter, so less lifter preload. A reground cam reduced lifter preload as well.

sootie

Reaction score
Hard to say. Like pretty much everyone else, other mods were done at the same time.

6.4 pushrods are shorter, so less lifter preload. A reground cam reduced lifter preload as well.

i dont know if this applies but on my 6.4 with stage 1 cam and milled heads, i have a lot of lifter noise which i attribute to the pushrods being a hair too short due to the reground cam.

windrunner408

Reaction score
IIRC, I thought RCD pushrods were the 6.4 length. I'm pretty sure their website says "6.0/6.4" LOL

But yea the Stage 1 cam does reduce lifter preload as well over the OEM cam.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.