Thoughts on a more affordable rod fix

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I have a possible way to make the 6.7 rod issue cheaper.

It would consist of a stronger rod, easily 800hp capable and be much cheaper than Carrillos.

Carrillos are about $3500, this upgrade would be closer to $1200 for parts.

There would still be all the labor to disassemble the motor so if you were going that far would you want to skimp on lesser parts or would you just spend the extra and get carrillos?

My question is would this be something people would be interested in.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
How much would it cost to instal a set of rods just curious since I have no Idea. It would be nice to have something stronger even for just a piece of mind.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Realistically most people shoot for 700 HP rigs so I personally feel that some might upgrade to something less expensive...

I do see your concerns going that far and skimping slightly on the rods...

Interested to.see where this goes

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
In for results here. The 6.7's run so good on just a tuner, but it sucks most aren't able to get more than 500hp out of them. Would fuel and turbo upgrades aid in getting to 700+ or are the heads limited?

sent from the sea

17BLKplat

Reaction score
I agree with Dustin, if I'm opening up the motor for this work, I don't want to regret not going to the extra mile. BUT. Options are great to have versus just looking at $3500 and saying,"well. It's all they have."

I know I have about another few months before I start getting antsy and my hood is up more than down on my 6.7, plus parts are finally starting to flow. Especially since I'm driving my 450 for a DD :evil

Spatel23

Reaction score
I think they would do good as far as sales go bc as these motors get used/abused more, rods are going to be getting replaced more and more.

I dont think many people will go after high horse builds in the 6.7 bc it will cost even more to do it then in a 6.4.

I think they would be a great replacement for stock rods when tuner trucks throw them, and the owner just wants to add a little peace of mind in case he/she wants to upgrade the turbo/fueling slightly.

How much are stock 6.7 rods?

Depending on how many you have to sell to make it worth your while, I think this is a great idea imo.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
In for results here. The 6.7's run so good on just a tuner, but it sucks most aren't able to get more than 500hp out of them. Would fuel and turbo upgrades aid in getting to 700+ or are the heads limited?

sent from the sea

I am pretty sure the heads flow pretty well. After we get the rods fixed, add duel fuelers, a turbo upgrade no matter what we are looking at some serious coin just to get 600+ HP then let alone if we find another weak link

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think they would do good as far as sales go bc as these motors get used/abused more, rods are going to be getting replaced more and more.

I dont think many people will go after high horse builds in the 6.7 bc it will cost even more to do it then in a 6.4.

I think they would be a great replacement for stock rods when tuner trucks throw them, and the owner just wants to add a little peace of mind in case he/she wants to upgrade the turbo/fueling slightly.

How much are stock 6.7 rods?

Depending on how many you have to sell to make it worth your while, I think this is a great idea imo.

That's some good points

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Realistically most people shoot for 700 HP rigs so I personally feel that some might upgrade to something less expensive...

I do see your concerns going that far and skimping slightly on the rods...

Interested to.see where this goes

Well like I mentioned I know the rods will survive 800hp, more than almost everyone needs. Just thinking out loud but at a $2500 savings you can put money into better power making parts, like a more efficient turbo, etc.

My other thought is for guys who bought just a little bit bigger turbo, they don't need carrillos. Like if you own the industrial compound kit.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Well like I mentioned I know the rods will survive 800hp, more than almost everyone needs. Just thinking out loud but at a $2500 savings you can put money into better power making parts, like a more efficient turbo, etc.

My other thought is for guys who bought just a little bit bigger turbo, they don't need carrillos. Like if you own the industrial compound kit.

That and what Shone mentioned are great real life points imho. I don't see where you could go wrong offering them as I already see there is a fair share of people wanting more aftermarket options...

Mpoage

Reaction score
If it will truly hold 800 hp then I would pretty interested in the next year or so. There's no reason to go all out full built motor in a truck that won't be competing. I think I would be pretty happy in the 700 hp range in my 6.7

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I think that it's a good option. I don't think a lot of people realize that the main "problem" with this engine is that it makes a lot of torque at the low end of the spectrum, more than the 6.0/6.4's can think of. I couldn't believe how much low end mine had, it was like driving around with an straight 6 from take off with the V8 feel on the top end. Until I drove one I had no idea. I would love to see what type of torque curve a 6.7 would have with the rods to hold it along with the fuel and air. I think that it would be a monster, especially off idle.

imelmo

Reaction score
And look at all the people that swap from pmr's to forged rods with the 7.3. Pretty much the same thing, just a much nicer truck. LOL

Dzchey21

Reaction score
And look at all the people that swap from pmr's to forged rods with the 7.3. Pretty much the same thing, just a much nicer truck. LOL

Also a good point. Peace of mind at 500 HP goes a long way. Which I would say is the most common HP level

mysticblu999

Reaction score
In for the win. Id love to have a reason for them though....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Rowdy

Reaction score
I would think you would have more sets of the 800hp/$1200 rods sold than $3,500 Carrillo rods. If they for sure hold 800hp I would go that route. Looking to make 650-700hp with my 6.7. I like the H&S set up that put down the 613hp. Throw some injectors on top of that should get me where I wanna be. Curious to see the price tag on the H&S setup. So turbo, rods, duel fuelers, injectors, studs. Yeah that's gonna be a pretty penny! Lol

SAK

Reaction score
Looks like a stock rod is about $640/set of rods, so for another $560 bucks you will have rods capable of 800 HP. I would be in for them at that price.

Latest posts

Members online