Throttle goes dead then truck dies

holschuh11

Reaction score
I have an early 99 it's been running perfect, but today on my way home from work I turned onto a road and it just died. So I pulled over and it started right back up. Then while climbing a hill it just seemed to run out of power and I almost couldn't hear it run. And I ha to downshift it to make it up the hill. No smoke or weird noises. And if I stop and start it back up it will run fine for about a mile. I just put new batteries in it and the terminals were loose, don't know if a terminal off would cause it but I tightened them back up.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holschuh11

Reaction score
Also it has a ts chip, I was told by previous owner it had new injectors too but no paperwork. Oil pressure is reading fine too.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Voltage is very important with these trucks! Make sure all of your battery connections are good and tight.

Also sounds sort of like a CPS issue, but at the same time it doesn't.

holschuh11

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I didn't get a chance to take it out after I tightened them up but they were extremely loose. Hopefully that was it. It does have over 340k miles

holschuh11

Reaction score
I tightened the terminals and noticed it was leaking fuel out of the fuel filter. Replaced that and drove about 50 miles and it hasn't messed up yet. I'm hoping that's what it was.

The oil level was fine but is due for a change.

And as far as codes I plugged it into a buddies edge cts about a month ago and it wouldn't even acknowledge that it was plugged in, something else is probably bad I suppose.

Reaction score
I tightened the terminals and noticed it was leaking fuel out of the fuel filter. Replaced that and drove about 50 miles and it hasn't messed up yet. I'm hoping that's what it was.

And as far as codes I plugged it into a buddies edge cts about a month ago and it wouldn't even acknowledge that it was plugged in, something else is probably bad I suppose.

Check your fuses.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Is your cig lighter working if not. check #3 fuse under the steering wheel. That powers the OBDII port it probably blew. That's what happen to my old 7.3.

Latest posts

Members online