Throwing IDM Code...

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
Here's the back story. We went to Indiana on a hunting trip, while there I parked the truck at the boat ramp. I didn't realize that the vegi pump was on with the diesel pump. Not that huge of a deal because the diesel will run at 60 PSI and vegi runs at 80 PSI. We left the ramp and was heading back to the hotel and the vegi tank ran dry and I guess it was throwing some air into the system. The truck started to have a miss like it was running out of fuel and I got it off the road before it stalled. I looked at the gauges and switches and that's when I realized the vegi pump was on. I turned it off and purged the system with diesel few times to get the air out.

The truck started just fine and ran fine from there. We left to come home the next day and about two hours into the trip the CEL came on. I noticed that it would come on under acceleration and off when I let off the pedal. It did this for rest of the trip home. I ran my Aeroforce gauge and came up with P1316 which I know is an IDM code.

When I got home I ran AE and ran every test I could with it. I came up with P1274 Cylinder #4 High to Low Side Open.

Now the truck has what seems like a miss and the CEL is on all the time now.

No new codes just the P1316, P1274 and two others but they are from my missing wastegate and missing AIH.

I have a few ideas but I would like some ideas or suggestions on where to look, obviously at #4, but other things. Secondly What does "Cylinder #4 High to Low Side Open" mean anyway?

78f100

Reaction score
Valve cover gasket or bad wiring to injector, or bad injector. Valvecover gaskets are bad about throwing idm codes.

White Buffalo

Reaction score
Did you run a KOEO (key on engine off) test through autoenginuity?

Also, how did the injector buzz test sound when it got to #4?

Last edited:

White Buffalo

Reaction score
Here's something that Rich & Pete put together on FTE to troubleshoot the IDM codes. Basically you need to:

Clear out the trouble codes
Run a KOEO test and recheck for the 1274 & 1316 codes
Injector buzz test (firing order 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8) see if #4 sounds different
Ohm out #4 at the 42 pin connector

UVCH%20flow%20chart_zpsuckmunk2.jpg

42%20pin%20connector_zpswcjrdq1w.jpg

2000wa250

Reaction score
High low means you're having a short on the common side. I'd ohm it out and see where you're at. Just had a similar issue and had a section of wire that had lost its cover and was shorting out to the head.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
High low means you're having a short on the common side. I'd ohm it out and see where you're at. Just had a similar issue and had a section of wire that had lost its cover and was shorting out to the head.

Which wire is the common wire? Is that the Driver side Supply or the Brown/Light Blue?

It's been a few days since I've had a chance to work on it. Got in it my buddy's pole barn. Spent the whole day on it yesterday and here is what we have done so far.

Swapped #4 solenoid to #2 injector, replaced valve cover gasket and UVCH. Cleared Codes ran buzz test and still came up with P1274. Ran a Cylinder Contribution Test and got P0272 #4 Cylinder Balance Fault.

We ohm'd the wire on the 42 pin connector with the new harness. Every came in at 3.6 for the driver's side bank. Ran a continuity test on the brown/light blue wire from the male pin side of the 42 pin connector to the connector at the IDM plug. Had continuity and ohm'd at 0.6 ohms.

Replaced IDM with a known good one from another Super Duty. Plugged everything back in and ran buzz test on AE. P1274 shows up. Started the truck and ran another Contribution Test. P0272 comes back again.

Couple of question:

Can this in no way be a tuning issue?

Something in the PCM can't be causing this can it?

Am I looking at the right wire, Brown with Light Blue stripe?

Do I just need to take all the loom off the harness and trace the said Brn/LT Bl wire back to the IDM?

I'm at my wits end guys, I'll take any suggestions...

neverkickn

Reaction score

Don't you mean a short somewhere in the whole circuit for that particular injector?

2000wa250

Reaction score
Excuse me you may be correct. High low would be the individual wire, and a low code would be the common

ja_cain

Reaction score
Check the harness near the valve cover. Mine was shorting to it and throwing similar codes especially when it was wet out.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
I checked it. Found one wire rubbed through but it was the 5volt reference wire that supplies all the sensor. ICP, IPR.... Cut and soldered a new piece in place.

I think I'm just going to unwrap the whole harness from the 42 pin back to the IDM and physically look at every inch of it.

Latest posts

Members online