Time for Intercooler?

Redpower

Reaction score
I have a 97 F350 dually with 113k miles, gauges, 6 pos chip, and straight pipe exhaust. About all I do with this truck is towing with loads up to 15k lbs. I have ran the chip for about a year and a half now, but I've never really been happy with heavy towing as I hit 1200* way too easy. This last weekend I was making a round trip run of 400 miles and any large hills I came to I was down to 40-45 mph at the top because I had to let off due to high temps. (towing about 7500#)
Will adding an intercooler help this at all? Does anyone offer a good kit?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
does it have larger injectors or a smaller exhaust housing? OBS generally do not have turbo failures do to high egt's since they have such a large exhaust housing and small injectors. an intercooler is an excellent addition and will lower temps, but is there any chance that the egt gauge is inaccurate?

Redpower

Reaction score
The truck has stock injectors and turbo. I am pretty confident that the EGT probe is accurate as it reads about 250 at an idle like my other truck does.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
The truck has stock injectors and turbo. I am pretty confident that the EGT probe is accurate as it reads about 250 at an idle like my other truck does.
is the probe set deep? try pulling the probe and inserting it where it protrudes approximately 3/4" into the manifold

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I got that intercooler. Good setup. Just pricey. It is designed for the OBS so easier to install

Got4wd

Reaction score
I tow 9k in the hills and I hit 1200 easy. I am looking to do the banks cooler also.

old man dave

Reaction score
I tow 9k in the hills and I hit 1200 easy. I am looking to do the banks cooler also.

I have the Banks intercooler also and it fits easy and is a complete parts kit. However, my buddy has done a couple of SD 7.3 intercooler installs and except for alteration of one pipe and locating a E99 spyder, he said it was pretty easy.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
if you have ANY exhaust leaks before the turbo, it will heat like a banshee.....

get underneath it with a GOOD light, and check the exhaust manifolds (CAREFULLY, the block is black, and soot will be hard to see) and
the up-pipes....the donuts on the up-pipes are prone to leak, and WILL cause high egt's.

again, ANY soot showing means you have a leak, and will hurt the amount of drive available to the turbo..
I installed a Banks Intercooler in my driveway, by myself, and it was not bad at all....egt's dropped 200 degrees, and it's a
high quality piece, and comes with very good instructions...you will need a Sawzall, and common hand tools....

Last edited:

Redpower

Reaction score
So I checked it out tonight and am sure I got some leaks. I took a few pics and I am worried that I might have a bigger problem- I think it might be leaking out between the manifold and the block. If you look in the first 2 pics, just up and to the right of the temp probe, it looks like soot out of manifold. This a common problem?
IMG_20130905_191713_zpsb20e4096.jpg

IMG_20130905_191718_zps862a46bc.jpg

IMG_20130905_191729_zps07a702b7.jpg

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
cant really tell personally.
however it is likely.
my 96 had a few broken manifold bolts and I dident even know it.
I went ahead and got felpro manifold gaskets and new bolts.
also over time the heat cycles can warp the manifolds causing leaks.
from the factory these motors did not come with gaskets.

MossBack

Reaction score
Driver side is not bad and if you pull the inner fender on passenger side it is easier. PB blaster will be your friend and a torch to cut heads off if it becomes stubborn. But hit it with some penetrating lube a few days before.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.