Time for Trans Rebuild What to Get

Platinum250

Reaction score
Well the time is getting closer and closer, I'm about to take my truck into school and rebuild the tranny. I am gonna get a new torque converter and a rebuild kit but I need to know if there is anything else I should order. I was thinking about getting a new valve body and a 6.0 cooler, as far as everyone knows is there anything else in this tranny that is considered weak that wouldn't come in a rebuild kit? Truck has 150cc injectors and beans tuning making somewhere around 400 so I don't need it to withstand 800+ HP.

Does anyone recommend a specific kit? Also, what should I get for a torque converter? I was considering a Percision Industries Stallion but changing the stall speed has me kind of intrigued. Does anyone know the stall speed of this TC? I heard that the stock one is between 2000 and 2500 but the engine puts out peak torque around 1600 RPM. So would it benefit to find a TC that stalls around 1600 RPM if not a little lower?

There's just so many different kits and parts for this tranny, I don't know what to get.

Thanks for your help,

Derrick

DocBar

Reaction score
Buy a BTS and be done with it. It's spendy, but worth it. Best warranty in the world. Of course, you'll have to wait a month or more, but it's well worth the wait and the price.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
doc, he is not asking about buying, hes asking about parts to get...

there are so many of these threads that start with i want to build and everyone says to buy... im sure by now everyone knows what trans they should buy... yes i agree a bts is always the way to go but if you want parts... call the builders and ask to buy there parts or ask if they have a kit to buy..

start here - bts valve body and converter, billet shafts, new clutch packs.

prolly lots more but do a search.. couple threads already going on this exact subject.
twisted, bts, jw i think all sell parts.
live life full throttle

Platinum250

Reaction score
doc, he is not asking about buying, hes asking about parts to get...

there are so many of these threads that start with i want to build and everyone says to buy... im sure by now everyone knows what trans they should buy... yes i agree a bts is always the way to go but if you want parts... call the builders and ask to buy there parts or ask if they have a kit to buy..

start here - bts valve body and converter, billet shafts, new clutch packs.

prolly lots more but do a search.. couple threads already going on this exact subject.
twisted, bts, jw i think all sell parts.
live life full throttle

I have looked around at other threads but there really isn't a whole lot of help. Everyone says to get an already built tranny. I think I need more then a rebuild kit, with 198,000 miles shouldn't I be looking more for a master kit that would include sprag clutches, 2nd band, new drums, and maybe even a new pump? The only site I can find that offers a "master" kit is Alligator performance for around $2300 without a torque converter. I'm just afraid that I'm gonna get it apart and a simple rebuild kit isn't going to be enough.

If I spend $2300 on a master kit, and then another $1300 on a torque converter I'm looking at around $3600 and I could get an already built tranny for that. Racer X has a built 4r100 starting at $3650 with a torque converter.

Last edited:

rustbucket

Reaction score
what kind of budget do you have? Im sure you dont what spend $3000 in parts if your not going to need them. You can call BTS and they can tell you what you need alot of websites dont show all the parts they offer so call around.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have looked around at other threads but there really isn't a whole lot of help. Everyone says to get an already built tranny. I think I need more then a rebuild kit, with 198,000 miles shouldn't I be looking more for a master kit that would include sprag clutches, 2nd band, new drums, and maybe even a new pump? The only site I can find that offers a "master" kit is Alligator performance for around $2300 without a torque converter. I'm just afraid that I'm gonna get it apart and a simple rebuild kit isn't going to be enough.

If I spend $2300 on a master kit, and then another $1300 on a torque converter I'm looking at around $3600 and I could get an already built tranny for that. Racer X has a built 4r100 starting at $3650 with a torque converter.

don't even compare racer x to the others i mentioned. dont even think of them again.. don't know what the power level it will hold but twisted has a level 1 for 2150$

johndeerezach

Reaction score
when i bought my psd my tranny had been rebuild by maxwell transmission out of davenport iowa. he put a billet tc and just ford rebuild kit and he told me and the p/o that it was good to 400ish. so i wouldnt buy buy the expensive stuff just for that truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
for what its worth, a brand new ford hd trans was in my truck when i bought it... drove it for two years with just a chip, intake and exhaust.... lasted 6 months with mods in my sig..

but i have two motto's i live by... one is one you see when i post from tapatalk, live life full throttle, and load it like a box car drive it like a stock car!

those who know me or have been in my truck know that those are both true.. so if you baby your truck, by all means buy the cheap stuff.....

caladash

Reaction score
Suncoast has alot of rebuild parts as well. Spent many hours talking to them about doing the rebuild of my spare 4R100 myself. They have been very helpful so far. In the long run its looking like the parts and the 1 or 2 special tools needed (they can be made as well) is gonna be about the same price as an already built one. Warren diesel has a fairly priced tranny as well that's built for about 500 horse I think. But that price doesn't come with the satisfaction of doing it yourself!! I also bought the ATSG manual to help in the rebuild.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
When I looked at building my own trans it was approaching the price of an already built trans. It's hard to come out a whole lot cheaper, and you dont have a warranty. if you are dead set on building google patc trans.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
for what its worth, a brand new ford hd trans was in my truck when i bought it... drove it for two years with just a chip, intake and exhaust.... lasted 6 months with mods in my sig..

but i have two motto's i live by... one is one you see when i post from tapatalk, live life full throttle, and load it like a box car drive it like a stock car!

those who know me or have been in my truck know that those are both true.. so if you baby your truck, by all means buy the cheap stuff.....

yea idk i guess its how you drive but by all means my truck doesnt get babied lol. well see how she lasts

Rupp250

Reaction score
Give these guys a call and see what you need for a rebuild. When I worked at a trans shop this is where we got most of our parts from. They have master overhaul kits, plus the updated parts you will want. Should be able to get you the manuals that you will need.

http://www.natpronet.com/

Latest posts

Members online