time to pull the cab...

A.thoma

Reaction score
Ok so I have some sort of damage to the valvetrain possibly rocker arm? Not sure yet but the cab is coming off so I want to make sure when it goes back on I don't have to get back in there unless I decide to upgrade. I'm planning on doing valve springs, push rods, cam, headstuds and main studs and whatever I find broken inside. Any information on brands, where to order from or any other upgrades I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Not sure how big your going with this truck, but a cam will merit extra time (assuming your sourcing the work) and I'd spend the money else where.

What are the current mods?

Stroked777

Reaction score
You can see the vendors I got my valve train upgrade from and haven't had any issues and about 12k on the motor work now with a few dyno runs, 8 trips down the 1/4, and about three or four sled pulls, also daily beatings out to 4000rpms, been to 4300 and with the cam the motor still have power all they way out there

A.thoma

Reaction score
Eventually just wanting to do around 85hp injectors and elites tow power setup I'm not wanting to go too crazy but I want reliable horsepower around 650-700 when I'm done. Right now I'm just fixing and trying to make the motor reliable injectors and turbo will come at a later date. A friend of mine who had his own diesel shop is helping me do the work to it he has built multiple pulling trucks but they have all been duramax. I'm just a welder with the ability to take things apart and put it back together no trained mechanic that's why I need help with picking parts for my build. Right now the truck is just fully deleted and tuned by gearhead that's it.

A.thoma

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. When would you say main studs would be required that will save me about $900 if you guys don't think I'll need them for what I am planning.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Handful of members making 1khp on a stock bottom end. Unless you are planing to shoot for the moon, I wouldn't sweat tearing into the rotating assembly other than to add a cam.

A.thoma

Reaction score
I probably will wind up doing a cam its all up in the air right now. Just trying to do all my homework before I tear into it. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a video of what its doing right now to see what you all think about the noise its making but I'm having technical difficulties haha

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I'd use that money on coated HD pistons. That would give me a better warm fuzzy at 650-700 hp than a cam would.

85hp injectors and a turbo to match will hit 650 - 700 with or without a can

sootie

Reaction score
once you have your issue solved, i would focus on the air side of things. Pushrods are a good investment as well.

think about a No limit cold side kit and air intake, ported intake manifold and a drop in atmo turbo. This will be the limit your stock trans can handle and will be a very fun truck with roughly 700 hp.

3brorce

Reaction score
Hasn't stock fuel done 690 or so? I dont think the 85hps are going to do you much good besides for draining the rail. 675 is a relatively pretty standard hp goal. Just up your atmo charger.

Reaction score
When would you say main studs would be required that will save me about $900 if you guys don't think I'll need them for what I am planning.

They are not needed. For any power level a 6.4 can make yet.

As far as upgrades, cam, springs, lifers, pushrods, ported intake, studs would all be good to do while in there. We stock all that, let me know I can work up a deal for ya. We also have really good oem head gasket pricing without bolts.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I do know that Elite's stage 1 cam did wonders for dropping temps and back pressure in Wayne's truck. The next time my truck comes apart I will be doing a cam without a doubt.

If you are interested in Elite's cam, pushrods, valve springs, studs, etc let me know and I can get you pricing as well.

sootie

Reaction score
No love for pistons?

I don't know much about tearing down motors... How much more work are pistons if your doing a cam?

a fair bit...the whole rotating assembly needs to come out for pistons.

A.thoma

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I do have a flo pro cac pipe and high flow elbow. So pretty much you all are thinking pushrods valves head studs and intake for the time being? I was looking at either river city or elite.

Latest posts

Members online