Time to step up my hp ...few questions

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
Well I've completed all my paint and body. New rims and tires trans getting built this week and she got her ring lol so I'm allowed to play again.

My question is for my e99 7.3 I have a regulated return bosch 044 and napa filter fed from a sump. I have a t500 hpop valve springs pushrods ...all the supporting mods I'm finally wanting to do fuel and air. My question is

400/400s with a t4 kit and s471 what kind of street manners am I expecting? The truck is a pavement princess weekend warrior. Rarely pull anything just literally a toy lol. I'm shooting for 550-600 hp

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attached is a pic of my beauty she was a teal rusty turd last year with no steering or glow plugs when I got it. Come along way new door rockers cab corners and paint

Attachments

• 20141122_151844.jpg
    20141122_151844.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114

jwlandry

Reaction score
For 550-600 I'd do 250s and a gt42

I have the same truck you do. I'm finishing it up w a set of 238/80s and a gt4294 w studs, valve springs, and pushrods, and a fuel system. I'm only lacking the exhaust.

Last edited:

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
That's what I was shooting for. For the price difference I was thinking the 400s de tuned would be ideal and if went full stupid the purchase was already made.

Reaction score
That's what I was shooting for. For the price difference I was thinking the 400s de tuned would be ideal and if went full stupid the purchase was already made.

With the 400/400s you're going to need a lot of tuning to get them right. I would go with the 250/ and a 468.

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^ x2... that's a lot of headache for your goals and not real streetable. Id expect that owning 400s almost requires that you get good at tuning (or live next to a tuner..lol) to get them right.

My setup pulls a 10K trailer to the track, drop the trailer and knock off 13.30s (quite smoke free) for grins. For trailer pulling, I live with it but locked out of OD it does ok.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Track times put my old setup at 550. They were 250/100 with 38r. Super fun street truck and with a s468 probably could have gotten more out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
I was looking at 300/200s as an option as well. Wasn't sure the difference in hp as far as them 2 go. I would just like to see 600 fuel only and still have decent street manners.

Thanks for all the input guys. I plan on upgrading the hpop shortly after as well wanna see how the t500 holds up

02BigD

Reaction score
Truck looks great OP.

200% > 400% nozzles for a mainly street driven machine. Just my .02.

If you search on google something like "300/200+injector threads on powerstrokearmy.com" it shood give you lots of bathroom material. The guys who do this stuff for a living have been gracious enough to share plenty of info here to make an educated decision, and I find it easier to search the site on Google than through the site search. Either way that will be a fun truck, I run 355/200's with a billet 71 and it keeps a grin on my face.

On edit; in regards to your last post, street manners are all about tuning. Search and purchase wisely.

Last edited:

7.3obs

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Recent paint and now the motor and trans is next. Same goals as you as well. I'm doing a d60 swap come spring time.

I've done some reading and I think the setup I plan to run is 350/200, gen 3 or honey badger sr if it's released around the same time I build it and a s468. Just wanna keep the rods in the block....

7.3obs

Reaction score
Truck looks great OP.

If you search on google something like "300/200+injector threads on powerstrokearmy.com" it shood give you lots of bathroom material. The guys who do this stuff for a living have been gracious enough to share plenty of info here to make an educated decision, and I find it easier to search the site on Google than through the site search. Either way that will be a fun truck, I run 355/200's with a billet 71 and it keeps a grin on my face.

I think we were typing that at the same time :swordfight:

But it is nice that the guys that have been doing this have given a lot of information on it all. :bowfast:

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
Truck looks great OP.

On edit; in regards to your last post, street manners are all about tuning. Search and purchase wisely.

Thanks for the compliment. It was my first real body work job. I'm happy with it. Just single stage white.

And I've done plenty of Google research and yes it is easier then search on here lol. I was just looking for answers on the actual drivability of larger nozzles and all I seemed to find was a lot of "know-it-all" answers and no real answer to my question. I'm hoping to get my motor build started come January or so. Pulling the motor to freshen up the bottom end and do a lpop and reseal. Want to have all my ducks in a row before I dive in.

02BigD

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment. It was my first real body work job. I'm happy with it. Just single stage white.

And I've done plenty of Google research and yes it is easier then search on here lol. I was just looking for answers on the actual drivability of larger nozzles and all I seemed to find was a lot of "know-it-all" answers and no real answer to my question. I'm hoping to get my motor build started come January or so. Pulling the motor to freshen up the bottom end and do a lpop and reseal. Want to have all my ducks in a row before I dive in.

In my cc, I've had 200/30's with a 38r, 238/80's with modded 66/71 H2e, 355/100's with the modded H2e, 300/200's with modded H2e, 355/200's with the billet 71. Driven and\or ridden in 6 to 8 400/400 trucks. There's lots and lots of people with better creditials here, I'm stating that because I see you are relatively new and want to give you some idea where I'm coming from. I really like low smoke, cool temps, and good towability as I do really work my truck.

Overall the 355/200's and the billet 71 are my all around favorite. The 200%'s run so much cooler than 100's, like 100-150 degrees in equal conditions, and smoke is down in most situations With the billet wheel the 71 actually spools better than the H2e. The cons vs the 100's, I did loose mileage, little more than 1 mpg. That being said, I wouldn't give the mpg back, and have to give up the extra 100 ish horses over the 100's

400%'s are going to loose some more mileage on top of the 200's, along with being smokier in many instances. Tuning will be critical, and if you really get your heart set on them, a live tuning session would probably be needed to really get the street manners dialed in. So you may want to take that into account in your decision making process.

Last edited:

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
Actually not to new to 7.3s. And worked at ford for 4 years. Know my way around these and 6.0s pretty well.

This is my 4th one. I've had a few obs I've played with I have run baby swamps stock turbo 160/100s with d66 and had mini mes and a d66. This was back in the day when 7.3s were limited to turbo choices and t4 mounts were non existent. I got out of diesel for a few years and come back recently to now see all that is available for these dinosaurs lol. And now that everything is falling into place I wanna try my first big build. Just bought a house with a garage so it's nice not having pops run me outta the shop anymore haha.

How ever this is going to be my first big hp build

slowstrokin99

Reaction score
And as far as mpgs go not a big factor for me. I'm more a smiles per gallon with this truck. I've maybe put 5k on it the year I owned it makes and occasional trip to Chincoteague bout a 2 hr ride but otherwise we ride in her mazda haha 39mpgs is better then the 19 I'm getting

02BigD

Reaction score
I was referring to your join date of 4 months ago...not wether or not you are new to the topic at hand.

Look forward to seeing how it comes together for you.

Latest posts

Members online