To wastegate or not wastegate a Single Turbo

bricewise

Reaction score
So I'm curious what are the schools of thought on having a waste gate on a single turbo kit? I see Elite's non-vgt kit comes with one but doesn't seem to be offered by MPD or Midwest. Not saying either is wrong, just curious the schools of thought on it.

And Im not asking the in the case of my 4094, keep throwing around the idea of going bigger VGT or 7168 Precision.

Reaction score
Ok, we have not released our kit yet. But as of now we are not adding a wastegate provision. It will be an option in the future but not standard. Since the boost and back pressure are near 1:1 ratio there is no need for a wastegate to alleviate excess BP with our kit. If you decided you wanted to spray it then yes it would be beneficial once you started seeing excess BP.

No school of thought really. Wastegates are there to alleviate excess BP. If you don't have excess BP, then you don't need one.

bricewise

Reaction score
Ok, we have not released our kit yet. But as of now we are not adding a wastegate provision. It will be an option in the future but not standard. Since the boost and back pressure are near 1:1 ratio there is no need for a wastegate to alleviate excess BP with our kit. If you decided you wanted to spray it then yes it would be beneficial once you started seeing excess BP.

No school of thought really. Wastegates are there to alleviate excess BP. If you don't have excess BP, then you don't need one.

Oops, sorry for some reason I thought you guys had release it. My bad.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
IMO which isn't worth, but I would want a waste gate on my truck just because of towing a lot I like to have safeties in place just incase.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a wastegate on my new kit going on in the next few weeks . but it's not a small turbo .

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have a 6.0 with lots of fuel and have run just about every size vgt turbo out there... Not a 6.7 but i think it still applies.

I was always told that vgts run with higher back pressure. So when I did my last build I put a waste gate on and set it to 60psi. I did that in an effort to try and help the turbo run more efficiently and save my headgaskets. I was not running a back pressure gauge at the time and never heard the gate dumping. So I installed a back pressure gauge and found out that I was not getting anywhere near the point of needing a gate.

So... Tons of fuel... many different single vgt turbos... I never build more than 40-50psi of ebp and usually a 1:1 ebp/boost ratio at WOT (maybe 1.2:1 with a tiny turbo). No need for a gate in my case.

It might be different on a single non-vgt. I know a bunch of guys running them and it seems that back pressure creeps up higher and is more of a problem when throwing a ton of fuel at it... especially with nitrous

Hope that helps

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Care to share anymore details?

well, for now, its a VERY big single for what has been run on a 6.7 . a very nice Precision ball bearing. it should make a lot of power , gate will be there for special occasions , I don't see bp being a issue, but never know, and why not be prepared ?

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
well, for now, its a VERY big single for what has been run on a 6.7 . a very nice Precision ball bearing. it should make a lot of power , gate will be there for special occasions , I don't see bp being a issue, but never know, and why not be prepared ?

are you planning on spraying the piss out of it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bricewise

Reaction score

Excited to see the results. Like I said keep tossing around idea to go to a Precision non-vgt. But just haven't pulled the trigger with the additional things I'll need on my kit.

Latest posts