Too much fuel!?

BBottoms

Reaction score
It vibrates at an idle, if i put it in gear and drive around town normally or any sort of daily driving it doesnt vibrate other than idle. But if i start to get on it hard it vibrates until the TC locks up and boost comes up, then its smooth as silk

Is there a possibility this is transmission related? Torque converter shudder?

I should have typed this all out instead of trying to make a half sentence reply that just confuses people...

Manifold Absolute Pressure: MAP sensor direct reading

Barometric/Atmospheric Pressure: Baro sensor direct reading. This is basically a MAP sensor without the boost hose hookup. 14.7 psi at sea level, less at higher elevations. Will default to 14.7 if unplugged, but this is incorrect if at higher elevation.

Manifold Gauge Pressure: PCM calculated Boost Pressure (MAP reading minus Barometric reading), but maxes at ~28 psi. Should match Boost gauge (i.e. 0 psi at idle, 28psi at max boost). If this shows more boost then the boost gauge the motor is likely over-fueling because it thinks it has more air then it does.

Charles

Reaction score
Stop trying to record everything and just set up the "live data graphs" part of AE with ONE of the items you want to view, like Pw. Then set the max value to something sane so that you have good resolution on the screen and go drive. I think if you right click on the "live data grid" tab at the top and then configure sensor or something like that, you can set the max value and make your graphs very meaningful. Like, set the max pw to 4, then 2 is halfway. Set the max ICP to 4000, then 2000 is halfway and 3000 is 3/4, so on and so forth. The data will stream across the screen at a rate plenty slow enough for you to make a pull then look at it after the pull is over. I think it's around one minute of playback on the screen from right to left or something like that.

You can very quickly make pulls and see a graph of the pw vs time over the course of the run. VERY informative. Much more so than a cold list of values.

Do the same for ICP. You will see each gear as a little mountain on the screen, rising and falling as you shift.

If your pw is sane, and the ICP is ~3000 then I'd start wondering about fuel pressure, then lube oil quality in that order.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Stop trying to record everything and just set up the "live data graphs" part of AE with ONE of the items you want to view, like Pw. Then set the max value to something sane so that you have good resolution on the screen and go drive. I think if you right click on the "live data grid" tab at the top and then configure sensor or something like that, you can set the max value and make your graphs very meaningful. Like, set the max pw to 4, then 2 is halfway. Set the max ICP to 4000, then 2000 is halfway and 3000 is 3/4, so on and so forth. The data will stream across the screen at a rate plenty slow enough for you to make a pull then look at it after the pull is over. I think it's around one minute of playback on the screen from right to left or something like that.

You can very quickly make pulls and see a graph of the pw vs time over the course of the run. VERY informative. Much more so than a cold list of values.

Do the same for ICP. You will see each gear as a little mountain on the screen, rising and falling as you shift.

If your pw is sane, and the ICP is ~3000 then I'd start wondering about fuel pressure, then lube oil quality in that order.
I will try that Charles, thanks for the input! Going to change the oil tonight, then go out and get some better numbers for you guys. Fuel pressure never moves off of 67psi.
So once i change the oil and know what my PW is that should answer some questions. I will also do a CCT at that point. I know my ICP is fine at WOT, but thats about all i know at this point.

To answer the TC shutter question. I have a BTS trans, never had a shutter with the last engine. I had to put a different engine in the truck and the vibration started the second i fired it up. So its definitely something i did while installing it or an unbalanced engine. Quite honestly ive learned to deal with the vibration, i just want the power and less smoke

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Alright changed the oil and fuel filters tonight, so that is all good to go and fresh. Went out and did some testing and I believe we may of found the vibration issue.

My PW at an idle is about .77-.81 (is low from what im told?)
ICP is like 700ish

Ran a CCT 3 different times and got 3 different results, but each time it came up with 2 different cylinders that were no contributing equally.

Went out and ran it on the street and it feels much stronger for sure if i roll into it, hammering it right away spikes the PW up over 4 for a split second and just blacks the road till it lights and takes off.
Biggest thing i noticed was the ICP doesnt come up quickly enough in the low RPM, maybe that could be my light acceleration/smoke issue? Ive got some data logs from a couple of my tunes but i dont really know how to post them

Austin

Reaction score
Alright changed the oil and fuel filters tonight, so that is all good to go and fresh. Went out and did some testing and I believe we may of found the vibration issue.

My PW at an idle is about .77-.81 (is low from what im told?)
ICP is like 700ish

Ran a CCT 3 different times and got 3 different results, but each time it came up with 2 different cylinders that were no contributing equally.

Went out and ran it on the street and it feels much stronger for sure if i roll into it, hammering it right away spikes the PW up over 4 for a split second and just blacks the road till it lights and takes off.
Biggest thing i noticed was the ICP doesnt come up quickly enough in the low RPM, maybe that could be my light acceleration/smoke issue? Ive got some data logs from a couple of my tunes but i dont really know how to post them

Does it hold 4ms of PW till the turbo lites? That is quite a lot. What I have learned is you need little PW, timing pulled back and a lot of ICP to get it spinning quickly. Does it spool like crap?

Can you post up the graphs? What RPM does ICP hit 3k?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Does it hold 4ms of PW till the turbo lites? That is quite a lot. What I have learned is you need little PW, timing pulled back and a lot of ICP to get it spinning quickly. Does it spool like crap?

Can you post up the graphs? What RPM does ICP hit 3k?

i think i messed up when i was data logging. I hit record and then drove for like 5 miles, then hit stop. I didnt realize it will only record so much of that run. None of my charts have my RPM ever going ove 2500, so it must of missed the WOT runs.
I can see that just driving around the ICP was only at like 1500 with RPM at 2500

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
NO it does not stay at 4ms till it lights off... It just spikes to that and then comes back down.
I think more HPO will help me a lot, ive got termies on the way

Latest posts

Members online