Top 5 issues

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
I've noticed though countless time spent reading up on my old 6.0 that most of the problems people have are related to a couple culprits. Since i am slightly lacking in 7.3 knowledge, what are the top 3-5 issues with the 7.3 and good ways to avert them from occuring? Discuss :swordfight:

farmall99

Reaction score
1. CPS will fail and can leave you stranded.
2. PMR's on big injectored trucks.
3. EBPV hangs closed on some trucks from what I've heard, pedestal likes to leak around it too.
4. HPOP O rings like to leak on older high mileage trucks like mine.
5. Stock compressor wheel likes to surge.
That's all I have right now, I'm sure someone else will chime in with what I left out.

Denver

Reaction score
Family has 6 of these things. 2 are tuned and I've observed:
1. CPS will go out. Carry a spare in the glove box.
2. Water pump. Usually like to go out anywere from 90K to 150K.
3. Small oil leaks. Anywere from O-Rings on the HPOP to the charge air cooler boots leaking. Doesn't happen very often.
4. I guess the exhaust gaskets but they leak on every truck we have and I've seen. Some worse than others. Fix is to upgrade to the bellowed pipes.
Thats all I can think of right now. For sure the first 2 happen.

01PSD

Reaction score
Knock on wood... but my stocker shifts firm as hell, I love it. Shifts are spot on and when it's locked you KNOW it's locked, feels bout the same as the tranny locking on my bro's tuned 6.0

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My 4R100 lasted for a long time tuned on 38's. Then the TC started slipping so I added a billet TC and a shift kit... It's been running like a champ since. This was back in 07...

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Top 5 that I've noticed is...

CPS, sticky IPR, cracked or broken MAP sensor/lines, glow plug systems, and...........

Arisley

Reaction score
Clean oil and clean fuel. Carry a spare CPS, carry a spare relay (PCM, Fuel pump, Heater Fan, IDM etc....they are all the same relay).

Fuel bowl heater likes to short out and blow the fuse (shared with the PCM) it sucks, delete it and forget about it.

Fuel bowl drain gaskets. Same solution, just delete the fuel bowl and problem solved.

Arisley

Reaction score
Same thing I did to my stock tranny and it is sitting at 311K now. Sonnax valve and tricumalator springs from David and a HD TC from O'Reilly's.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Oh. LOL Yeah. I probably could have gone with a lighter duty TC, but this PI Stallion has done me very well.

Arisley

Reaction score
Y'all have been lucky, my 4r slips 2nd and OD bad if I'm in any tune other than stock or economy.

I have a slab of oak attached to the outside wall of the garage. I knock on wood everytime I walk out to my truck. And everytime I get out of my truck.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Andy, would you recommend those parts for a stockish transmission. I need something to temporarily keep my trans together until i get a bts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Andy, would you recommend those parts for a stockish transmission. I need something to temporarily keep my trans together until i get a bts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Andy's is stock.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
1. CPS
2. Oil leaks turbo/HPOP
3. Front end bearings caused by sloppy ball joints, on E99-01 3/4 and SRW 1 tons. D50 vs the D60 in duallies and everything built after 02.
4. E4OD trans. Wife's OBS is on it's 3rd, at 305k or so. Next one is gonna come from BTS.
5. Fuel bowl leaks.

Latest posts

Members online