Torn on an HPOP Solution

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Matt that's some great feed back thanks, what do your times equate to for power differences? Yeah I think it's ime to look into some sort of twin set up to push all the fuel these will. Bts pumps have quite the price tag in them, I'll look into stealth and see what there's rubs as I have already talked to joey.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I see you have twins, what have you seen for results? Power or track times?

I have not run it on the track yet. My clutch will not let me do it.

As for what i have noticed is this. The pump set up i have now is easy to tune. Every tune I have thrown at it so far runs smooth! Maybe some of it has to do with the fact I have two IPRs and not just one. ICP has been easy to control no problems there. I have heard high flow singles are harder to tune. I have never tried to tune a high flow single so I can not say there. Another plus two a twin pump is, well with the set up i have is. I am running unmodded factory 15* pumps. What this means is the oil will last longer and will not get as hot as quick as a single pump that has had the squash plate redone with a stepper angle to increase the flow. With two factory pump there will also be a less of a chance of them going out.. Verses a modded factory pump that can keep up with 250/200 or bigger will not last as long! And they will also not be quit as responsive as a twin setup. Its very funny but I was told idle would be hard to get right. Right now the first tune I made runs smoother then it did with stock sticks and the factory tune. I have 300/200 Injectors and with the dual pump set up even with the factory tune it still runs half ways smooth. Another thing is with a twin pump set up you will have no problems keeping up with bigger injectors. There are a couple guys (maybe more) that have switched from the srp1.1 pump to twins for reasons i will not go into. other then it was not as good as it was cracked up to be. And it was having problems with going to pieces inside. Now I do not now about the newer ones that are supposed to not do that. Any time you take a factory pump and get it to flow the oil needed to support 250/200 and bigger injectors you will loose reliability. that simple. But then that again is just my opinion...

TyCorr

Reaction score
running unmodded factory 15* pumps. What this means is the oil will last longer and will not get as hot as quick as a single pump that has had the squash plate redone with a stepper angle to increase the flow. With two factory pump there will also be a less of a chance of them going out..
Ill never get sick of reading your BS...if someone can decipher it, still is hilarious.

Damn stepper angels on der squash pilates!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Ill never get sick of reading your BS...if someone can decipher it, still is hilarious.

Damn stepper angels on der squash pilates!

Looks like I forgot a couple punctuation marks. Big deal.

As for the squash plate... I will stick to what I said there. Facts are facts no mater how you look at them. there still facts.. Besides I was told that by a trusted pump builder.. And a couple of guys that have tried them all.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im laughing at stepper which Im assuming you meant steeper, as in increased.

Im also laughing at squash plate. Wtf, is a squash plate? Swash?!

Dont take yourself too seriously. I agree with some of what you were saying but had to point out a few things that were funny. Like I said, dont take yourself so seriously.

Also, how do figure two pumps will destroy oil slower? Oils getting moved twice as much.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Im laughing at stepper which Im assuming you meant steeper, as in increased.

Im also laughing at squash plate. Wtf, is a squash plate? Swash?!

Dont take yourself too seriously. I agree with some of what you were saying but had to point out a few things that were funny. Like I said, dont take yourself so seriously.

Also, how do figure two pumps will destroy oil slower? Oils getting moved twice as much.

LOL LOL LOL This is what i ddi when I read this!! LOL I see why you were laughing!! I would have done the same thing. Well I guess i will say i had bad spelling on top of bad punctuation. :D I was never the best at spelling in school..

I know what you are saying about the two pumps. kind of what i said when I was told that. How it was said to me was. The oil is not stressed as much with two 15* or 17* pumps, as it is, with a single pump that can move as much oil as the two factory pumps put together. With a steeper Swash plate on the single, it will heat the oil up more, plus it will shear the oil more then a stock pump will. one reason it will heat it more is because there is more stress on the pump which causes more heat. And they will not last as long. That is on reason Bob@dieselsite said his pump that could keep up with 300/200 and even bigger. was not meant for the street. Another thing is they also put bigger plungers in the single to be able to flow more oil and that puts more stress on the pump. that can lead to faster where out and more heat. This is what i have been told. It is not my testing.

Still make me laugh Ty! I am not good at spelling!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have heard that same argument. Ive also heard different. Either way, theres no.way an srp1 is.gonna.trash oil in 2k miles like a set twins. If oil lasts 3k miles before it shears and causes poor performance, then after about 1500 miles having been compressed twice as much by twins it would crap out faster.

Im not opposed to either but having talked to the guys who build these and my chosen guy builds.both, i went with a billet srp1. Majority of people do not need twins.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
It states on stealths website their pumps do not use a steeper angle. They use larger parts/bore, spec'd to tighter than factory specs.

Plus a lifetime warranty... Don't see that everyday.

Not arguing but from a specialty in hydraulics, usually component failures and fluid degradation happen when a rapid change in temperature are occurring on a consistent basis. Think of it this way... Ambient temp, crank engine, instant shearing, instant constant pressure on all components. Now add much bigger fuel/air than designed for; engine runs hotter in cylinder on startup and usually heats up faster, and has higher demands. That wears out your oil.
It wears out gear oil, hydraulic oil, mechanical components, everything.
I can give an example on my truck: use to drive the highway to work. 20 minutes. Changed oil every 4k(before I was "informed" of said sooner interval). Couldn't tell the difference. Changed address. Now its stop and go everywhere. Motor starts and ten minutes later its shut off; turned on 8-10 hr's later and repeat. Now every 3k I can tell it runs better after a change. Not that it didn't before, but its being used in shorter hot/cold intervals and that takes a toll.

I've been told change oil every 3k miles. Period. If it needs it sooner, these engines will tell you. I can tell on a stock one, and I've been told by members on here even a higher HP engine will tell you what it needs.

Either way get 3000psi to your injectors. How you do it can have an affect on efficiency, such as running twice the surface area(twin pumps) necessary to produce x amount of oil. A single pump will usually be the most efficient because of less drag on a motor, whereas if you go bigger later you will need to upgrade to bigger twins, and it will be more $$ spent.
That's what I would be worried about. Plan it out....

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You are referring to the billet stealth pumps right? I was referring to high flow pumps that are made from the factory pumps, that can support 300/200 and bigger

I hear and understand both side of this subject. The best way to clear it up would be have a test engine on a stand that you could run every aftermarket pump out there on it for a set time then compare all the data to see what really is the case.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
http://www.stealthpumps.com/SI_7_3L_SRP1_Stealth_Pumps.html
Yup. And a warranty. I think people hate the cost but personally, being in that career field, if I can get a hydraulic pump with that warranty, whether it uses oil or anything else, I would buy it.

On a derail, I really wish they would rebuild power steering pumps like this. I can't imagine how long they would last, and you could turn the wheels no problem while on the brakes, with no whining.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Twin pumps...

Install... Leak...

Reinstall... Break a shaft...

Reinstall... Leak, IPR issues...

SRP 1.1... Install

Oh look I need to work in the valley, twins, come out again... SRP is just dandy.

psduser1

Reaction score
I've got about 15k on my srp 1.1, zero leaks......
Like whitey said, heat cycles are hard on pumps, no matter what style.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
god dang now im back to square one, i decide on srp1 then i get told to go to twins because you cant beat it. Sure fire 2 15s sound the best bet, truck gets alot of heat cycles and small town driving with occasional long hauls.

cowboy420smoker

Reaction score
I installed a srp1.1 on my truck about four months ago. But I had it sitting on my desk for about four months before I put it in. so was a older new up dated pump. Started up first time like it should of. Never again. Three days of hell 300 dollar tow bill. Gary was very helpful at stealth. He sent me a new pump as soon as he could. So now I have the newest pump and no problems so far. Customer service says a lot. stealth has my business.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
If you require reliability and its a dd, go stealth. One pump flowing more, not pressurizing to over 3k psi is going to be better. More efficient in town etc. Twins are for injectors you can't run a single on. Call stealth and any vendors and ask what they would run.
In town driving is going to wear on the oil more regardless of pump. That was my point. It has nothing to do with your pumps. How long your oil lasts depends on the driving it undergoes.
Any pump putting out 3000 psi at the FLOW (as in QTS or gals per minute) required will work as long as you dont require more oil ( go bigger). Many of these people have been in your shoes. If vendor x says that an srp1.1 will run those injectors no problem, then that's what I would recommend. If you dont need twins, and by the suggestions given from experienced people saying you don't, then run a single. Twins for anything other than a dedicated race truck aren't what I would do.
And stealth makes bigger, and obviously more expensive pumps that will flow more oil. Instead of twins, spend the money you would on two factory pumps and lines, fittings, etc., and get a stealth.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I am running "twins" and don't have reliability issues. The truck also builds whatever pressure the tuning calls for yesterday, so that it is ready at the drop of a throttle lever, or at least that's what it seems like.

Sure the vast majority of people could probably get by with a properly tuned truck and an obs pump, me included. I do however have dual pumps and I can tell you that they are plenty reliable, and you will not be dissapointed if you choose to go that route. BTS pumps that is. I don't now, nor have I ever ran a large single so I will not speak out of the lack of personal edperience.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Srp.1.1 will run many injectors that people say you "need" twins for.

Neverkickns post pretty much sums up how I feel about modded singles.

At the end of the day, run whatever.the.heck you want.

Latest posts

Members online