Torn up turbine wheel

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I put a 38R on a friends truck and his stock turbo looked just like that. It made a funny sounding loud howl under acceleration. We were thinking EGTs to because it started after he did a bunch of street racing and the truck still runs perfect.

mustube

Reaction score
Got the turbo put back together with new parts and I saw 55"Hg with my scanner since I don't have a boost gauge. I know this is off the MAP sensor, but I'm not sure how this converts to PSI. Is this 27PSI or 12.3PSI? I'm really hoping it's 27.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Got the turbo put back together with new parts and I saw 55"Hg with my scanner since I don't have a boost gauge. I know this is off the MAP sensor, but I'm not sure how this converts to PSI. Is this 27PSI or 12.3PSI? I'm really hoping it's 27.

If you were reading MAP, that would convert to 27psi absolute. Which means you are only seeing about 12.3psi boost, or close to it, depending on elevation.

If you were reading MGP, it would convert to 27psi of boost.

mustube

Reaction score
Something is up with either my map sensor or my scanner. On the way to class it hit 80"Hg and then went down to 4"Hg while still at full throttle. I need to get a boost gauge

mustube

Reaction score
One of my hose clamps on my intake boots is broken and won't clamp down. It's the upper one on the lower boots for the intake spider that goes directly to the intake manifolds. Can I replace this with a t bolt clamp since it's clamping to cast aluminum or should I stick with the regular hose clamp that comes on those boots from the factory? I feel like the regular clamps don't clamp down enough.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
One of my hose clamps on my intake boots is broken and won't clamp down. It's the upper one on the lower boots for the intake spider that goes directly to the intake manifolds. Can I replace this with a t bolt clamp since it's clamping to cast aluminum or should I stick with the regular hose clamp that comes on those boots from the factory? I feel like the regular clamps don't clamp down enough.

If you can find a t-bolt clamp that will fit and bite good on the spyder, then yes.

mustube

Reaction score
I did the other side glow plugs today. All 4 were intact and looked fine. Not sure if that's good or bad. Not sure what else could have torn up my turbine wheel.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

mustube

Reaction score
250k on the truck, they are motorcrafts which leads me to think they are either original or they were changed by the original owner several years go. The owner before me was a concrete company and they didn't do much maintenance on the truck besides what they had to do to keep it on the road.

mustube

Reaction score
3 were bad when checked for resistance

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386197098940.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386197098940.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 44

eng53ine

Reaction score
250k on the truck, they are motorcrafts which leads me to think they are either original or they were changed by the original owner several years go. The owner before me was a concrete company and they didn't do much maintenance on the truck besides what they had to do to keep it on the road.

Could have been run without a filter the company I work for has a 99 550 with original oil and all filters very fun to start in the winter plus side it only has around 38k mi. on it

MossBack

Reaction score
Did the turbo have any in and out end play? I just pulled my stock as it had like 1/4" and it had touched the housing and looks similar.

mustube

Reaction score
No in and out play but just enough side to side play to barely touch if I pushed real hard on it. The compressor side did have some real light scrape marks but the turbine housing looked fine.

Latest posts

Members online