Torq2.1 + SCT Combo review

17BLKplat

Reaction score
Always wanting the latest and greatest, I ordered up IDP's Torq2.1 the second it came out. Had a chance to install it yesterday, and I'm impressed! The T2+SCT combo was great, but the Torq2 would stumble over itself and cause some torque reduction if the motor was cold, or you got on it a certain way from a roll. I'm happy to say the T2.1 fixes this! Now it's smooth power and great shifting all in one. First impressions, I feel like the 2.1 has improved throttle response as well and am anxious to see how it does while the truck learns this new toy. Eric and the gang really cracked down on the minimal shortfalls of the Torq2 and have produced a WICKED second version of a great product! Thanks for always going to extra mile guys!

Here's a few install pics:
Torq2.1 on the left. Built much better and has anodized logo and better wiring harness as well. On the right is the T2 with old harness.
bb7be02f.jpg

This is where it gets a tad tricky, but isn't hard. Need to unplug the TCM harness and unwrap the cloth factory wrap and find the yellow/red stripe wire. It was easier for me to undo it and work on the inside of the frame rail. The provided positap works great.
dbd74e88.jpg

Tapped and taped! (I know it isn't A+ taping, but bear with me. Tight quarters, the phone makes it look larger than it is lol)
22b33019.jpg

Back on the TCM:
6f231d0b.jpg

Torq2.1 Mounted:
c5c403c1.jpg

Be sure you check out the instructions they provide. You'll want to dial in the 0-9 switch before getting worried. I didn't and felt like something was up, but once I turned the switch to position 1, for 3:55 gearing, I was on my way.

Any questions- I'll be happy to answer!

Mpoage

Reaction score
So this fixes the problem of the truck falling on its face over a certain amount of power? When I'm on the tow tune I can't turn the torq 2 up more than about halfway without the truck shuddering and completely defueling.

17BLKplat

Reaction score
So this fixes the problem of the truck falling on its face over a certain amount of power? When I'm on the tow tune I can't turn the torq 2 up more than about halfway without the truck shuddering and completely defueling.

You got it Matt! I had the identical issue and it's totally gone now, for that alone it was worth the upgrade. Worst part was unpredictable on-ramp acceleration and the truck nearly stopping at 55mph. Now I cruise right on up full power, tow tune, 100% on the Torq2.1 knob and I'm sailing.

Mpoage

Reaction score
Awesome! It looks like one of these will be in my future if it's the fix to that problem.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Iirc the torq 2 is a pressure box like the mp8. If it is, how high does it up the pressure and what are safe pressures to run on these trucks?

03f3507.3

Reaction score
Sucks that I just picked up a torq-2 a couple weeks ago but I hope this does fix the cutting out issues my truck acts awful if its cold and the torq 2 is turned all the way up.

Tuxedo Diesel

Reaction score
From what I have seen on other sites, ID will replace your torq2 with a 2.1 for free just call them.

I installed my 2.1 yesterday seems to work fine, however I think I spliced the wrong wire. I managed to cut off my reverse sensors. It looked like the red/yellow but I have bad eye sight. Still working on this, but drove to work 30 miles no issues.

17BLKplat

Reaction score
From what I have seen on other sites, ID will replace your torq2 with a 2.1 for free just call them.

I installed my 2.1 yesterday seems to work fine, however I think I spliced the wrong wire. I managed to cut off my reverse sensors. It looked like the red/yellow but I have bad eye sight. Still working on this, but drove to work 30 miles no issues.

I know this- on the outside of the loom is a yellow/purple wire and it's awfully tempting to splice. The yellow/red is in the middle of it all. I had to fish through and pull it out just to get to it.
Glad it ran well for you still and that's awesome that ID will replace the box!

Klutch

Reaction score
Can ID confirm this is an exchange for those of us that have the old one?

03f3507.3

Reaction score
follow the URL, almost at the bottom you will see a user with the name "INNOVATIVE DIESEL" say they will swap. I noticed they jumped the price on the ID website 50$ since last week.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...scussion/225512-torq2-mileage-question-3.html

new user so I dont know if the moderators get angry for posting other forums. sorry in advance

This throws me for a loop since it was stated before the 2.1 was released that they would exchange if you werent getting tuning. The way its worded in his post on the other forum it seems like your better off and get more power stacking the 2.0 with tuning and but like is stated above its saying the opposite deal....

Tuxedo Diesel

Reaction score
Yeah but in the instructions that come with the 2.1 it says you can program it to be just like the 2.0 if you wish. It has a selector dial on it, I use postion 1 for my 3.55 gears and stock tires.

I fixed my problem thanks to the OP's pictures which are way better than the ones included in the instructions. The wire I originally spliced was a yellow/orange but was further away from the TCM. worked great this morning, already watching the MPG calculator rising. I was originally between 16.0 - 16.5, now im 17.9.

Last edited:

03f3507.3

Reaction score
Yeah but in the instructions that come with the 2.1 it says you can program it to be just like the 2.0 if you wish. It has a selector dial on it, I use postion 1 for my 3.55 gears and stock tires.

I fixed my problem thanks to the OP's pictures which are way better than the ones included in the instructions. The wire I originally spliced was a yellow/orange but was further away from the TCM. worked great this morning, already watching the MPG calculator rising. I was originally between 16.0 - 16.5, now im 17.9.

Gotcha well I better call and see about getting mine swapped since I don't plan to run tuneing for some time

Juniorf250

Reaction score
You got it Matt! I had the identical issue and it's totally gone now, for that alone it was worth the upgrade. Worst part was unpredictable on-ramp acceleration and the truck nearly stopping at 55mph. Now I cruise right on up full power, tow tune, 100% on the Torq2.1 knob and I'm sailing.

This problem sounds like what's going on with my truck now. I started out with the sct tuner first and on performance tune my truck goes dead when I run it at full throttle. Then I bought the torq2.1 and had that at 100% with my tuner at stock and it did the same thing. I turned the torq2.1 back to zero and the truck runs normal again.
If I set the torq2.1 back to 100% and the sct tuner to street will it finally run right? I'm kid of lost of what to do. Thanks

Juniorf250

Reaction score
Well that didn't work! Got a p0088 code and the sct didn't have a description for it. Also my HUD said 'engine power reduced'! WTH?!?!
I tuned it back to stock and the torq2.1 to zero. Don't know what else to do. Might just sell the combo and have the dealer reflash it.

Tekemp

Reaction score
Well that didn't work! Got a p0088 code and the sct didn't have a description for it. Also my HUD said 'engine power reduced'! WTH?!?!
I tuned it back to stock and the torq2.1 to zero. Don't know what else to do. Might just sell the combo and have the dealer reflash it.

Are you running Eric's tunes in your SCT that are meant to be used with the torque 2.1? If not then that's most likely your issue, the custom tunes to work the with torque 2.1 don't add fuel they relie on the torque for that so if your running the wrong tunes it's trying add to much fuel psi. That's my understanding of how it works.

Juniorf250

Reaction score
Are you running Eric's tunes in your SCT that are meant to be used with the torque 2.1? If not then that's most likely your issue, the custom tunes to work the with torque 2.1 don't add fuel they relie on the torque for that so if your running the wrong tunes it's trying add to much fuel psi. That's my understanding of how it works.

Yup that's what I did.:doh: That make sense. Working on gettin my torq tune now.

17BLKplat

Reaction score
Just saw these replies now. Sorry you were having issues Junior, hopefully Tekemp's suggestion and a Torq2.1 tune gets you fixed up. I know I had similar issues without the proper tune myself, once tuned, I was on the road again!
Report back with the outcome :thumbup:

Juniorf250

Reaction score
Finally got it workin right! I worked with the SCT techs and finally got it handled. Apparently the tuner had the older firmware and tune revisions. Updated the tuner and loaded up each tune and they all run fine. No CELs! Now I'm just waiting for Eric from innovative to send me the torq2.1 tunes. I'll let you guys know how things go once I get it!

Latest posts

Members online