Totaled the damages for bulletproofing my 6.0

rray37375

Reaction score
The oil cooler and EGR cooler went tango uniform in my truck a month ago. I figured while my local diesel shop would have the truck on the rack, it would be time to totally bulletproof the truck and put on some other goodies.

So last week the truck went in for major surgery. The EGR and oil coolers were replaced with Sinister Diesel units, the blue spring was replaced along with the HPOP connector, eight new injectors and glow plugs (four injectors were only putting out 50 percent), the heads were sent out to be decked, new ARP head studs, Black Onyx head gaskets, Ford exhaust gaskets, new coolant and transmission filter units from DieselSite, a 4 inch MBRP exhaust system, new radiator hoses, and a new serpentine belt. It drives like it did when I bought it new and the new exhaust sounds killer.

Speaking of killer, my bank account was assaulted for all of this to the tune of over $6700, parts and labor. OUCH!:jawdrop:

Surprisingly, the wife is cool with it. The alternative was a new truck...

Last edited:

rray37375

Reaction score
Hmmm... I re-checked the invoice from MKM, it seems I DON'T have Black Onyx head gaskets after all. I have Black Diamond head gaskets. What's the verdict on those? My wrench turner is a pretty straight shooter and checked the parts list, if there were some problem children in the parts bin I think he would have let me know.

Last edited:

weazel

Reaction score
Results vary, I have BO gaskets in mine, if the heads have the prep work Your chances are ok, mine have been in there a while and been beat on no leaks. Keep you head up and check the degas for puking all the time that's how I roll
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355291929.027987.jpg
You are not alone

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

G Racing

Reaction score
It appears that the black diamond gaskets are sold under a variety of labels, sinister being one of them It also appears that they are made by Victor Reinz. If I'm wrong let me know.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Black diamond - black onyx - black rubber fist. I don't care what anybody tells you or claims, victor reins gaskets are wrong for the application and do not, will not last. OEM or RCD platinum gaskets(private labeled OEM gaskets) are all that anybody should run. Reins gaskets have thickness variances that can compromise piston to valve clearances. Not to mention their notorious lesser quality make up. I hope it lasts for you but unfortunately, I don't have faith it will.

Reaction score
Out of all the head gasket replacement we have done... 1 was with black diamond because customer supplied parts. That was the only truck to ever come back a month later with combustion gasses in cooling system. And heads were also decked. Moral of this story.. Don't use any black gaskets.. Good luck bud

java

Reaction score
My Black onyx gaskets only lasted about 5 months, I now have OEM gaskets and no problems so far.

Dave

Reaction score
Black diamond - black onyx - black rubber fist. I don't care what anybody tells you or claims, victor reins gaskets are wrong for the application and do not, will not last. OEM or RCD platinum gaskets(private labeled OEM gaskets) are all that anybody should run. Reins gaskets have thickness variances that can compromise piston to valve clearances. Not to mention their notorious lesser quality make up. I hope it lasts for you but unfortunately, I don't have faith it will.

Steve the RCD platinums are VIctor Reinz gaskets as well

Zmann

Reaction score
Dave
From BPD's site

Rivery City Diesel Platinum Series™ head gaskets are manufactured side-by-side, in the same facility as the factory Ford OEM head gaskets. Platinum Series™ head gaskets are built to the exact same specifications and tollerances, using the exact same materials, as the OEM head gaskets. The only difference between the Platinum Series™ head gaskets and the OEM head gaskets is the color of the sealant applied to the gasket surface and the fact that you are not paying for torque-to-yield bolts that you are just going to throw away anyway. These head gaskets have held over 800hp when used with head studs and proper cylinder head milling (to ensure a perfect gasket surface). If you want the best head gaskets available for your 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel, without spending money on parts you have to throw in the trash, Platinum Series™ head gaskets are what you've been looking for!

These gaskets are available for both the early "pre-commonized" 18mm dowel (up to 01/10/2006 build date / engine serial number 6,000,000 - 6,723,721 or 1 - 299,092) and the later "commonized" 20mm dowel (01/11/2006 and later build date / engine serial number 6,723,722 and higher or 299,093 and higher) 6.0L engines. The different serial number series represent the different plants where the engines were assembled. Just make sure you select the correct dowel size below when ordering!

Gaskets are sold in INDIVIDUALLY (with 2 dowels each). We highly recommend doing both gaskets at the same time, but we allow you to order them individually in case you only need one for some reason. If you are doing both sides, MAKE SURE YOU SET THE QUANTITY TO "2"!

Latest posts

Members online