Tow boss or f450 daily driving?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I am in the market for a truck. I need a F-350 drw pickup. My enclosed goose neck has a good size generator and large propane tank in the front on the trailer. That being said I want to run a level kit with 35" tires. I have found a tow boss package with the 4.30 gears. Most of my pulling will be at 65-68mph. I think that this would make a pretty good combo for towing 15k loaded trailer. Anyone else running the same setup with good results? This will give me an effective ratio of 3.87:1 with the 35" tires.

On another note the truck also has the snow plow prep package. Will this make the truck ride any stiffer. I had originally test drove a non-tow boss F-350 DRW and it rode night and day difference to the RAM 3500. Wife said that the F-350 was a go, I do not want this one to ride like the RAM. It is too far for me to test drive.

Thank you for any help.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Look at the GVWR. If it is at 14,000 then it will be pretty stiff but not bad.
My 350 DRW with a 14,000 GVWR rides better than the 08 F450 it replaced which was 14,500 if I remember right.
Tow boss does nothing for the springs, those are with which packages the truck has.
I would not get 4.30's myself. If you want the RPM's higher, get 3.73's and drive in 5th then it will be about the same as 4.30's in 6th.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would get a 450 or tow boss since you get the wider front axle and better turning then like you said with the higher years it will be great with the bigger tires and still tow like a beast. A 450 will ride rougher due to the 19.5's it comes with over the 350's 17's. Both are great options. You cannot get 3.73 gears in a tow boss 350, to get them you loose the wide track front in which IMO is a huge plus.

Profuzz

Reaction score
Wide track front axle !! Love the way this truck turns & rides great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
Wide track front axle !! Love the way this truck turns & rides great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely agree with this. I test drove a non tow boss drw f350 and bought the tow boss f350 and it turns much sharper. The 4:30's will turn a higher rpm but with the bigger tires you want I think that's the right move. I bought the tow boss for the 4:30's because I knew I would put bigger tires on it eventually and get the rpm's down some at highway speeds.

Notneb

Reaction score
I'd go with a 450, sell the rims, get rims/tires you want, and just run with it.

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm trying to justify a new dually just for that reason. Absolutely don't need it, but a 450 with 22.5 truck wheels is the absolute sh!t.

Not going to lie, a 450 with 22.5's, a leveling kit, and tires looks sick AF. If I didn't have a semi, I would totally get one, lol. I just can't justify buying a 450 when I'm already in the market for a new OTR rig. Still... we'll see come bonus time... I may trade up, lol. I think a black platinum '16 F450 with my headlights would look just nasty!
054_zpsb6qychtx.jpg

Swampfox

Reaction score
I went with the 350 tow boss over the 450 becuase of the s110 rear axle and the fact I was going to change tires and wheels anyways. The dana 80 is big but the s110 is huge. Also might check and see if the insurance rates are priced differently if that matters to you.

JRLott

Reaction score
Pfft Mikeyfitz was the only one before me to have them, and his ass sold his truck for a ZR1. :p

Lol. They are my favorite lights from an aesthetic, functional, and usefulness standpoint.

jcain

Reaction score
I went with the 350 tow boss over the 450 becuase of the s110 rear axle and the fact I was going to change tires and wheels anyways. The dana 80 is big but the s110 is huge. Also might check and see if the insurance rates are priced differently if that matters to you.

You don't think your tow boss has an sr110 do you ? Or am I reading that wrong...

Notneb

Reaction score
Lol. They are my favorite lights from an aesthetic, functional, and usefulness standpoint.

Lol, well you know where to get them! RetroCustomz out of FL! I've punished this truck enough to know they can stand up in that area! But yeah, I love having something you don't see every day, I've yet to see anyone with them besides Mikey's rig.

Get a pair, so I can hate on you for copying me lol!

I'm curious to know if the tow boss has an S110 too as well, might give me enough justification to get one...

JRLott

Reaction score
Lol, well you know where to get them! RetroCustomz out of FL! I've punished this truck enough to know they can stand up in that area! But yeah, I love having something you don't see every day, I've yet to see anyone with them besides Mikey's rig.

Get a pair, so I can hate on you for copying me lol!

I'm curious to know if the tow boss has an S110 too as well, might give me enough justification to get one...

Won't be any time soon. Need new tunes (getting tired of the pwtfever on IDP and NL2 intake), traction bars, employment, H&S non spontaneous exploding pipe or pipe kit, StreetmaxR, and some other zippy go fast parts before pretty parts. Did I mention employment. Right now she's just getting clatter fluid, oil & filter changes, & the occasional bath while I furiously spam every business posting an opening from TX to ND and WA to OH.

Just to be semi-on topic...the axle & Tow Boss might end up relevant should I get an out of town jerb requiring mobile living facilities.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Whats the led on top do? Just turn indicator?

They look good.

My old truck I want to do all white led lighting. Where do you get the leds and anything i need to stay away from?

jcain

Reaction score
Tow boss retains the dana 80. 450s have the 130 now. Hence the higher payload of the tow boss, wheel and tire weight and heavy axle weight of the 450. The 450 is entirely underrated but it'd be in a different market if they bumped it too much.
d1c99692134dec3b9664681cac518e64.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online