Tow/Haul button

Pmac21

Reaction score
So I was wondering what exactly changes when you push the tow haul button? I know the shift points are different, but I was wondering if someone knew exactly what changes when you push it? Oh and does it help having it pushed during a drag race? Thanks in advance.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Ive seen slower times with the tow haul button mashed racing from a dig. Usually it changes shift points in order to keep the rpm at a higher rate and bump up the line pressure some

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Usually it changes shift points in order to keep the rpm at a higher rate and bump up the line pressure some
No, it doesn't bump up line pressure. Why would it do that?
I've also heard/seen claims of slightly higher HP/TQ with tow engaged.
No, no more horsepower or torque, either. It changes the speed where the shifts occur. That's the only change that you'll see when accelerating. There are more changes when braking.

skobiak

Reaction score
I know if you are going down a long hill and you press it it will hold a lower gear so you dont have to use the brakes as much. That's about all I use it for when not towing.

Atsah

Reaction score
I used to tow heavy a lot and I used it a few times to see what advantages it had and I found none.. Used more fuel, stayed in a lower gear longer and if you hit the brakes it will shift to a lower gear.. Just a different trans strategy is all.. IMO, it isn't worth the lightbuld that lights it up..

Emery19

Reaction score
I wish mine worked. Can't figure out what's wrong with it tho. No light on the dash. And doesn't seem todo anything when pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
probably a bad switch, its just a momentary switch to signal the ecm what you want it to do, unless the ecm or wiring is bad.

Basically what happens is there are tables in the tuning for the tow haul on and off, every tuner handles them differently, generally tho tow haul has higher pressures, longer rpm carry out of the shifts at part throttle and a more aggressive downshift strategy esp with the service brake applied

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I wish mine worked. Can't figure out what's wrong with it tho. No light on the dash. And doesn't seem todo anything when pressed.
Take the plastic cover off of the steering column. Inspect the wires where they enter the shift handle. You'll find one or more broken or worn through. You can either fix the wires or get a new handle for about $65 at a Ford dealer.
generally tho tow haul has higher pressures,
The stock programming does not have higher pressures in tow/haul. Why would that be needed? Pressures in the transmission are set based on engine torque. Engine torque doesn't change in tow/haul, so the pressures don't need to change.

Strokin69

Reaction score
quick question while yall r on this subject my old 7.3 when the tow light was one that meant overdrive was off, on my new 6.4 i used it this past weekend and it didnt turned off the overdrive still said 5th with tc locked is that how the new trans do now

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Mark when would you suggest using the tow haul? Is there a certain trailer weight?
Use it when you like how it's acting, and turn it off when you don't. There is no time you have to use it.

quick question while yall r on this subject my old 7.3 when the tow light was one that meant overdrive was off, on my new 6.4 i used it this past weekend and it didnt turned off the overdrive still said 5th with tc locked is that how the new trans do now
There is no tow light on a 7.3L truck. Never had one. All it had was an overdrive off light. That's all it did, was prevent the truck from shifting to overdrive, and it also provided engine braking in first, second, and third gears that isn't there with the light turned off.

Tow/haul in the newer trucks changes how the transmission operates to improve towing. It will shift to overdrive if the speed is high enough.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I could be mistaking but i thought it also controls the vains on the turbo when braking to give some additonal engine braking.

6.4psd916

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check for broken wires in the shifter handle like was said. I used a multimeter to check the wires. Mine had one broken in the middle of the handle, was not fun to fish back through once I soldered it back together and heat shrinked it.

Emery19

Reaction score
Take the plastic cover off of the steering column. Inspect the wires where they enter the shift handle. You'll find one or more broken or worn through. You can either fix the wires or get a new handle for about $65 at a Ford dealer.

The stock programming does not have higher pressures in tow/haul. Why would that be needed? Pressures in the transmission are set based on engine torque. Engine torque doesn't change in tow/haul, so the pressures don't need to change.

Check for broken wires in the shifter handle like was said. I used a multimeter to check the wires. Mine had one broken in the middle of the handle, was not fun to fish back through once I soldered it back together and heat shrinked it.

i've taken the cover off and looked. wire is all good and stuff. as far as i can see. i'll take another look at it tomorrow. i was thinking that when the truck is keyed on before start it, the tow haul light should test itself and then go off. well the o/d off light in the ranger doesnt do a test when i turn it on, i just went and checked. it's probably just the switch then. looks like ill order a new one.

quick question, do i have to get a whole shifter?

WoodBoy

Reaction score

Because of the amount of power being put through the transmission for a longer sustained amount of time while the TC is unlocked

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.