Towing Heavy with 6.0L/7.3L

Zeb

Reaction score
Download imgur app. Upload there then carry over the link here wrapped in IMG tags

That sounds over my head! LOL

Zeb

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pictures, CTC!
I can’t see them for some reason, but it’s something on my end, because I’ve had it happen before.

rowekmr

Reaction score
What are the specs of the trans and TC build?

Would you be comfortable towing with that drivetrain regularly?

My 2000 F250 with the 7.3 can see up to gross trailer weight of 28K during hay season, granted the trans and TC are built and chosen specifically for extreme towing duties in the 100+ degree Texas summer heat. It's not as quick as the 6.7 but does just fine using DP Tuner 40 hp tow tune.

Zeb

Reaction score
Not much wind drag on this load, but gross weight is right at 39,000 lbs.

Attachments

• 5955F4EE-BD2D-45E3-9668-35337AB114EB.jpg
    5955F4EE-BD2D-45E3-9668-35337AB114EB.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 160

Zeb

Reaction score
Quick question for the guys that tow heavy on a constant basis...why don't you guys move up to a medium duty truck?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Biggest reason for me is there is a lot of places I go that 4 wheel drive is necessary.
If I were on hard surfaces all the time it’d be a no brainer.
The other big drawback to most medium duty trucks is they are they are SO underpowered typically.
We toss around the idea of a single axle semi tractor for the days we know 4 wheel drive won’t be necessary, and keeping the 450 for 4x4 duty days.

psduser1

Reaction score
Biggest reason for me is there is a lot of places I go that 4 wheel drive is necessary.
If I were on hard surfaces all the time it’d be a no brainer.
The other big drawback to most medium duty trucks is they are they are SO underpowered typically.
We toss around the idea of a single axle semi tractor for the days we know 4 wheel drive won’t be necessary, and keeping the 450 for 4x4 duty days.

This.

rowekmr

Reaction score
Funny you say that I found a medium duty day cab IH 4900 with single axle for cheap local online. It has the DT466 engine. I read that they are reliable but would this be capable pulling a 3/4 car trailer or “under powered”?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What year, there would be several horsepowers available. Greet engine.

Jtreece

Reaction score
hold up... I have never seen that fitting for the oil filter housing to allow 2 hoses for connecting to a external air/oil cooler. I have seen the BPD external but it removes the whole oil cooler. Where can I find some info on this? is it new? thanks.

Latest posts

Members online