Towing with H&S race tuner

Drwoodchopper

Reaction score
Have a race tuner and DPF delete pipe waiting for some time to install. What level do you guys tow at? I assume stock or +50 horsepower setting? I have a 11k toyhauler and hoping it will tow it a little better. What are you seeing for egt's on the stock egt1 sensor? I will eventually probably get a block off plate with a sensor but can't afford to do it all at once. We currently have an edge CTS and will see 1100*+ on long hills in Utah and Wyoming. It feels like the truck starts defueling around this point as well.
Thanks

Mpoage

Reaction score
I personally tow on the performance tune. The heaviest I have pulled was probably 8K pounds and it handled it just fine. I don't have an egt guage yet so I have no clue what they were doing.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Have a race tuner and DPF delete pipe waiting for some time to install. What level do you guys tow at? I assume stock or +50 horsepower setting? I have a 11k toyhauler and hoping it will tow it a little better. What are you seeing for egt's on the stock egt1 sensor? I will eventually probably get a block off plate with a sensor but can't afford to do it all at once. We currently have an edge CTS and will see 1100*+ on long hills in Utah and Wyoming. It feels like the truck starts defueling around this point as well.
Thanks

I pulled 19 k on different tunes, up 5%-6% grades, that lasted 1 1/2 - 2 miles, and had no issues with EGTs... I had issues with the 3.73 gears... LOL I put it in manual mode, and locked in 6th gear, and she did fine though.

it wanted to downshift in auto mode a lot on the lesser tunes... FWIW... I will be yanking 21k next week, so I will keep a better log of what it does.

Drwoodchopper

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am looking foreword to see how it does. One thing I have learned over the years though is that egt's go up with altitude as well. Nearly all of my towing is 6000-10000 ft

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I always tow on performance. I have seen 1900* and 53lbs of boost on my old truck and I never had an engine problem. It was a 2010 6.4

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I usually put mine on the tow tune, the one above stock. Just for piece of mind. Through some of the rolling hills on I70 in Kansas and Missouri pulling 15K I think I only saw over 1000 once or twice with the cruise set at 70mph. I was happy with it. Maybe Ill try using it on performance like what the rest have you have been doing. But at low speeds the turbo seems to flutter less since it will down shift quicker on the tow setting

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
leave it in the hot mode and let her eat, i have only turned my down to tow one time and i was way over loaded and the truck was working its butt off. but other than that one time, i leave it in the high mode and let mine go

Drwoodchopper

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am looking foreword to it. Now maybe my old 7.3 won't embarrass the 6.7 anymore! And Will yes it is for the 6.7, I ordered the stuff from you guys! I deleted the stuff on my 7.3 a looooong time ago...haha

CDUBYA

Reaction score
Gee i cant tow from SLC, UT up to Park City, UT without defeuling.... everytime! Must be the elevation. Pisses me off. I am on on Tow tune as well, HS Race tuner, Straight pipe, S&B Intake. Still overheats. And i am only towing about 6 to 7 K.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
What do you have your de-fuel at? I set mine up to 1550 just because it will see high 1400's on a 1/4 mile blast

Drwoodchopper

Reaction score
Gee i cant tow from SLC, UT up to Park City, UT without defeuling.... everytime! Must be the elevation. Pisses me off. I am on on Tow tune as well, HS Race tuner, Straight pipe, S&B Intake. Still overheats. And i am only towing about 6 to 7 K.

Ya that is a good pull. I assume that is in the truck in your sig? I don't know but I have heard the 6.7's run a bit cooler than the 6.4's?? Over heating as in high egt's or high engine temps? No matter which way I go to the mountains from my home I have some steep roads. Do you have to bolt your stock exhaust back on for emissions testing where you are?

sootie

Reaction score
Ya that is a good pull. I assume that is in the truck in your sig? I don't know but I have heard the 6.7's run a bit cooler than the 6.4's?? Over heating as in high egt's or high engine temps? No matter which way I go to the mountains from my home I have some steep roads. Do you have to bolt your stock exhaust back on for emissions testing where you are?

? where is the 6.4 mentioned

CDUBYA

Reaction score

No i have a 2012 6.7 with a 10" lift and 37" tires. Im fully deleted and running straight pipe. Just got back from a tow to powell and had it defuled 2 or 3 times. coolent temps hitting 222 degrees. i also have a very strange whistle as it begins to pull up a hill. Can't figure out where it is coming from. Just crazy to me how fast this truck heats up. I am trying to figure out if i have an issue somewhere.

johnboy27

Reaction score
I have always towed with the H&S on tow mode. This weekend I towed on the performance mode and gained 2 mpg. I did the exact same drive 2 weekends in a row with the trailer to compare. Went from 13 to 15.

Drwoodchopper

Reaction score
No i have a 2012 6.7 with a 10" lift and 37" tires. Im fully deleted and running straight pipe. Just got back from a tow to powell and had it defuled 2 or 3 times. coolent temps hitting 222 degrees. i also have a very strange whistle as it begins to pull up a hill. Can't figure out where it is coming from. Just crazy to me how fast this truck heats up. I am trying to figure out if i have an issue somewhere.
I can hit those kind of coolant temps easy in stock mode pulling my toy hauler. Same hills with my 7.3 will hit 235*. I just got my minni maxx installed and my DPF fell off and I am towing to the mountains tomorrow so we will see how she does!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.