Traction Bar Axle Links

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So for simplicity sake I'm looking for some simple weld on brackets for the traction bars i'm building. Below are the two ideas I have thus far along with two questions...

1. What's the axle diameter on an 08 F350 rear end? I keep forgetting my calipers at work!

2. What's the idea length from the axle to where the through bolt is??

I fear these are to short..
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Lower-Axle-Link-Brackets_p_1397.html

And these are to long... 7"
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Link-Tower_p_1398.html

Open to ideas, other links, ect... Thanks guys

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
I've got the lower link bracket shown in your first web link. If I recall the OD of the axle is 3.5. On a 06' of course. 2" distance between axle tube an 9/16th bolt hole.

Sent from my ADR6400L

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
patarybe.jpg

dy5yqaba.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
good deal... Looks like I'll pick those up and be moving forward with them! Still not 100% sure on how i'm going to configure them but I'm thinking the bushing type joint on the frame like with the Bronco radius arm bushings (or similar pics in the tread below) and a Ballistic Heim at the axle. Any comments on this?

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639&highlight=traction+bars

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you do any offroad driving. The Bronco joint would work good or ballistic joint.

I went with the 2.63" forged poly joint.

Here is a pic of the parts from ballistic.

y7urugy8.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
My options were...

1. Bronco at the frame, Ballistic Heim at the axle

2. Ballistic Heim at the frame, poly joint you have there at the axle

Option 1 will same some money and I don't know that it's any better or worse than any other design.

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
I think with any one of those options the setup is going to work for you. How long are you going to make the bars?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Haven't gotten a solid number in my head, but I have a long bed so they won't be short! My wife is driving my truck daily right now and she doesn't get home till it's dark so maybe this weekend I'll get all my dimensions together

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
Agree. I think mine are 84" from center to center. I figured the longer I made them the less of a pushing motion the axle would have when hauling or towing a load.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
STROKEDOUT - do those brackets fit between the U bolts?? Looking like I might need to adjust my plan alil since Dustin went with Traction blocks..

I wonder If anyone makes a through bolt bracket that could bolt/weld to the bottom of the frame.... Or is there any issue running the bars at an angle inward towards the axles? Again I need to get under there so I can really figure this out...

Last edited:

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
I just went out to measure. The bracket is 3.125 and the space between u-bolts is 3.250.

You could take two 7" long 3" angle iron pieces, weld them to the upper ballistic frame mount bracket and bolt the angle iron to the side of the frame. The only drawback is getting to the bolts due to the fuel tank.

I think it would be better if the upper bracket is aligned with the lower bracket to insure strength.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online