traction bars (cal tracs)

JDub

Reaction score
I ran the Cal-Tracs on my 99 2wd truck and they helped out quite a bit on the street. Before it would spin tires on the 1-2 shift and just keep sprinning until I lifted. With the Cal-Tracs the tires would just chirp on the 1-2 shift, then plant and go. This was with 305/50r20 tires and around 450hp.

Trapper

Reaction score
I loved the CalTracs on my 99 too. But anyone have the link to OUO? I seen a Superduty the other day around Houston that was 4 linked. It looked good. I would like a 4 link one day.

Last edited:

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Heard a lot of good things about OUO. If the Caltracs don't work then I will try their 4 link. Either way I gotta have some traction on the street, or go back to 4wd.

ouo bars are only made to stop axel wrap no gain traction (and bars like that can hurt traction by making the supension to stiff) . where as cal tracs actually trun axel wrap in to traction by putting the froce on the leaf spring

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
ouo bars are only made to stop axel wrap no gain traction (and bars like that can hurt traction by making the supension to stiff) . where as cal tracs actually trun axel wrap in to traction by putting the froce on the leaf spring

wouldnt you think that it would also gain in traction? your keeping your axle from binding up. allowing for equal distribution to the pavement. Seems to me like it works. I know my truck has traction like hell.. as well as aarons drag truck

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
my brothers dmax would spin 1-3 (built trans big tune truck) with custom built traction bars, it spins half through first and just plants 2-3 now. Anything that prevents axle wrap (preventing the axel to travel upward ) will be worlds of a difference.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
wouldnt you think that it would also gain in traction? your keeping your axle from binding up. allowing for equal distribution to the pavement. Seems to me like it works. I know my truck has traction like hell.. as well as aarons drag truck

i meant for a 2wd(where your main goal is to get the back to squat and transfer weight to the back but on the other hand if you set ouo bars up so they are at negtive angle(axel end higher than truck side) the should work good to) for a 4wd the work flawless and are a very nice piece

AllanB

Reaction score

On the down side, Caltracs are not the best at preventing axle wrap. They do help some but that is not the main focus on the design, traction is. Which that part of what you are saying about pressing down on the leafs is true. That is the design of them and what sold me on them. I guess both designs have their pro's and con's. For me, my truck is a lowered 2wd and my springs are under my axle, not on top. So I am not having to fight axle wrap because my springs are some what in a bind already and do not flex very easily. So for me Caltracs are the SH!T.

Layson

Reaction score

I am pretty sure the One Up Offroad bars have no trouble hooking up... LOL

9.75 second 1/4 mile at 137 mph... LOL

9.75 @ 137 - 4/23/11 - YouTube

Also, they don't stiffen up the suspension at all. You can't even tell they are on there. Just so you know. Plus they don't make ANY noise :)

Last edited:

2wd-fire

Reaction score
On the down side, Caltracs are not the best at preventing axle wrap. They do help some but that is not the main focus on the design, traction is. Which that part of what you are saying about pressing down on the leafs is true. That is the design of them and what sold me on them. I guess both designs have their pro's and con's. For me, my truck is a lowered 2wd and my springs are under my axle, not on top. So I am not having to fight axle wrap because my springs are some what in a bind already and do not flex very easily. So for me Caltracs are the SH!T.

yeah should work perfect have pics of your ride over leaf gotta be pretty low

Wemoy1

Reaction score
:D
I love the Caltracs on my Dmax... install kind of sucks because you have to take the springs out, press out the front bushings and install the new aluminum bushings. But the traction bars work great...

You dont have to completely remove the springs all you need is a torch and burn them out and us a hammer after the burn out about half way. Thats How I did mine big hammer and torchs:D

AllanB

Reaction score
There are some pics in this link. I will get some pics in a couple of weeks of it after I finish with the front end. Changing it to FX4. These are just cell phone pics so not to good. The leaf under the axle is just the DJM flip kit. If you are thinking about lowering yours let me know I will throw some links your way from Ryan (Element Injection) that shows another way to do it, it is a little better and more secure. The DJM is ok if your not running a decent amount of power. But if you are, watch out it might not be what you want.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18110

2wd-fire

Reaction score
There are some pics in this link. I will get some pics in a couple of weeks of it after I finish with the front end. Changing it to FX4. These are just cell phone pics so not to good. The leaf under the axle is just the DJM flip kit. If you are thinking about lowering yours let me know I will throw some links your way from Ryan (Element Injection) that shows another way to do it, it is a little better and more secure. The DJM is ok if your not running a decent amount of power. But if you are, watch out it might not be what you want.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18110
you truck looks amazing i have 305/50r20 nitto 420s on 9.5 wheels i think the 420s are really bad a$$ tire hooks good for street tire. i cant believe you have exhaust out the back its gotta be really tight

AllanB

Reaction score
you truck looks amazing i have 305/50r20 nitto 420s on 9.5 wheels i think the 420s are really bad a$$ tire hooks good for street tire. i cant believe you have exhaust out the back its gotta be really tight

Thanks Bud, it is getting there but it isn't like I want it yet. But on the flip side I don't think a man ever gets finished with his truck, always a work in progress. I am going to post some pics in a couple of weeks when I get finished with the front. The exhaust is a 5" and yeah it is tight but I was glad it did work.

AllanB

Reaction score
What is the rim size on them? I am going to need to back date my brake calipers to 04 to run slicks on the back. If not the rim will not fit over the brakes.

Latest posts

Members online