Traction bars

Tom S

Reaction score
Some one asked about my traction bars so here is a little bit on them. I do not think I will have the time to finish this right now but here are some images from when I built and installed traction bars on my truck. The mounts are from ProComp and the rest if stuff I fabbed up.

Traction_bar1.JPG

Rear_mounts_2.JPG

Pass_side_front_mount.JPG

traction_bar_angle.JPG

Traction_Bar2.JPG

Traction_Bar3.JPG

Tom S

Reaction score
This was the data and method from when I was evaluating where to put the front mount:

I decided to conduct a little experiment to see just how well the traction bars would follow the suspension path at the point where I installed the front bracket and also a a point a little farther forward. I used my slide in camper set back a couple of feet to load down the suspension and a jack on the receiver hitch to raise it. I found the following results:

Raised Eye to Eye measurements
+3.....55 3/16........68 1/2
+2.....55 3/16 .......68 5/8
+1.....55 1/4 ........68 11/16
_0.....55 5/16.........68 3/4
Compressed
-1.....55 5/16........68 7/8
-2.....55 1/4 ........68 7/8
-3.....55 1/4 ........68 7/8
-4.....55 3/16........68 7/8
-5.....55 3/16.........68 13/16

I probably really did not get quite that much suspension movement as I was using the fender well as a guide to measure compression and extension and there is some difference in how the tires were squished. It looks like the spot I picked which is the 55" one might work pretty well without wanting to bind the suspension too much. The longer bar showed more variation in length. the shorter one is at the same angle as the drive shaft with the Pro Comp mounts.

Tom S

Reaction score
This is why mine have that slight 3 deg bend in them and why I used the heavier .25 wall DOM tube:

DSC00294.JPG

traction_bar_angle.JPG

I studied this some more today and the different springs is the total snag. I did have the Johnny joints and the tube in place. The SD springs not only have the full length second leaf they also have a much larger spring eye. Hmm I wonder where part of that improved ride comes from. I did some figuring it and looks like for each inch of clearance at the hanger gives 1.66 inches of axle travel. I have just over 2 inches of clearance with the bars in place which is only gong to give a little over 3 inches of axle travel. It is 5 inches to the bump stops. I think I really should have another 1.25 inches of clearance to the hanger.

JD3020

Reaction score
How are you liking your bolt-on axle mounts? I've been having a hard time deciding if i want to get a set like yours or a set of weld-ons.

Tom S

Reaction score
How are you liking your bolt-on axle mounts? I've been having a hard time deciding if i want to get a set like yours or a set of weld-ons.

They seem to be just fine. They do not have quite as much leverage to prevent wrap is weld on ones on the bottom of the axle. I am happy with them

What size DOM tubing did you decide on and what size Jonny joints?

Dave I am not sure off hand. It is 1/4" wall tube. I can go looking for receipts to verify if you want me to Dave. If I forget PM me.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Whats your thought on using Chromoly for the bars? I have lot of extra of that from the race car, and I could build a few sets to sell...

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well I went out and looked... Turns out I only have thin walled 1 inch tubing. I thought I had some .120 wall tubing out there, but I only have 0.083 tubing in 1 inch.

obs7.3

Reaction score
I was going to make a new mount for the bottom of the shock and move it up on the axle, then use the factory shock mounts on the axle for the traction bars and make a set of brackets for the frame. is that a bad idea?

obs7.3

Reaction score
no, there's enough play in them to move them up a little. i'm talking about an inch or so up, just high enough to give the heim on the bar some wiggle room from the springs. I don't haul anything heavy enough to make the shocks bottom out and don't do any type of serious off roading where it would over extend the shocks.

Latest posts

Members online