Trading my '12 for a '16 tomorrow

TrickTruck

Reaction score
hmm, sounds like ammo for wifey...thanks guys :wtf:

Just got off the phone w/ the stealer on 70k service.
Coolant, both systems
Trans oil/filter (they are trying to sell me an external filter too - never heard of this.)
F&R diffs
t-case?
engine oil
fuel filters
$1100

Reaction score
hmm, sounds like ammo for wifey...thanks guys :wtf:

Just got off the phone w/ the stealer on 70k service.
Coolant, both systems
Trans oil/filter (they are trying to sell me an external filter too - never heard of this.)
F&R diffs
t-case?
engine oil
fuel filters
$1100

Haha sorry for any ammo man!

But seriously, why would you pay the dealer to change oil and fuel filters? They charge WAY too much for that. Transfer case is so easy that if you did it, youd NEVER think of ever paying anyone to do it. Front and rear diffs are also easy if you have a fluid extractor (if you dont, you just remove the diff covers, reseal and refill), just make sure your fluid is hot before trying to remove the diff oil. Transmission has a drain plug which helps a ton, then if your changing the internal filter assembly, just remove all the bolts on the pan, and put a new filter in. Install bolts, torque, fill. Easy. There is no external transmission filter on these trucks so not sure what they are trying to sell you. As far as the coolant goes, you should be using test strips to test your coolant. Not just replacing it. There is an restore type additive that can be added one time that will bring that coolant back into spec. So it may be as simple as getting the test strip kit and adding that.

Also, why are you mentioned a 70K mile service? Your trans fluid per the manual is every 150k miles, front and rear diff actual says in the manual that they are lubricated for life unless leaking or under water (I dont agree with that, but would probably say you dont need a service until 100k on those unless the fluid shows otherwise), transfer case 150k or 60k if your towing a lot, coolant is every 105k miles as well, but being tested ever 15k miles.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to take you to the cleaner on a bunch of easy things to maintain as well as sell you on things that dont even need changing yet.

Last edited:

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I tow heavy w/ the truck and have always been a firm believer in regular fluid changes. Then again, I used to off-road a lot, but still...

Yea, for the $$ I'm thinking doing it myself, gathering up info now on what I need...

seeing as how y'all pissed on my parade

HOUTX01X

Reaction score
Also, why are you mentioned a 70K mile service? Your trans fluid per the manual is every 150k miles, front and rear diff actual says in the manual that they are lubricated for life unless leaking or under water (I dont agree with that, but would probably say you dont need a service until 100k on those unless the fluid shows otherwise), transfer case 150k or 60k if your towing a lot, coolant is every 105k miles as well, but being tested ever 15k miles.

\

I just changed the diff. fluid. It was at 110k looked good. I got a hook up on some amsoil so ended up changing all fluid.

STRKTHS67

Reaction score
I was contemplating on trading my 14' for a 16' but stepping up from a SRW to a DRW to pull my fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Lol.... dude... you got some issues to work out. It doesn't take much reading to see your trying to justify a new truck.

We have ALL done that!!!!! Lol....

Coolant. Just send a sample off and have an analysis done at pacelaboratories in Indiana. Save yourself some bucks.

Truthfully you sound completely stressed and strapped for cash.

But look at something else. There are people that work their trucks FAR MORE THAN you do with FAR LESS and alot more miles on their rig!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Oh... and changing the coolant is truthfully only a concern for FULL EMISSIONS trucks. If you've been deIeted for a great length of time it's truthfully not an issue.

Add the additives and roll on man!! That truck will never see an electrolysis problem, ever.

Jomax

Reaction score
Oh... and changing the coolant is truthfully only a concern for FULL EMISSIONS trucks. If you've been deIeted for a great length of time it's truthfully not an issue.

Add the additives and roll on man!! That truck will never see an electrolysis problem, ever.

So I'm crazy for changing the coolant every 36k?? Lol

Jomax

Reaction score
OP, how many miles on your truck?

Honestly, I think a ton of people here would've been on your side, if you said you're trading for a 17'.

I vote keep it, it's got sub 100k on it. Wait till the 2018s roll around. That's what I'm doing.

Turbo should be fine honestly, it's the high psi that kills them.

The 70k interval, everything is super easy to change.

You'll be buying that 16' and when the new truck feeling leaves, it'll hit you that it's just like your old truck...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
But, doesn't that only help the secondary coolant system?

According to the 6.7L handbook no. But I may be wrong.... I will freely admit I have NOT studied this engine near as much as many others.

The same principal applies tho. I do use large Industrial techniques as a guideline. We take coolant samples on very large engines with ethanol Glycol to reveal the truth with ano extremely in depth analysis. It's amazing that the only thing that generally needs to be added is additive 99% of the time.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Robin I've been down this road as well with my '13. Really considered trading to a '16 but realize the only reason to do this was for the bigger turbo and exhaust brake. 17's are real nice but savings on the '16s are great now. I crunched numbers and realized that I'd rather add the '15 turbo/pump to my truck and if needed add the exhaust brake as well. Sounds like that's the same road you're headed down. I'd rather spend another $5k on mine and have a paid off truck in a few years than add more debt to my life. Good luck man!

Jomax

Reaction score
Robin I've been down this road as well with my '13. Really considered trading to a '16 but realize the only reason to do this was for the bigger turbo and exhaust brake. 17's are real nice but savings on the '16s are great now. I crunched numbers and realized that I'd rather add the '15 turbo/pump to my truck and if needed add the exhaust brake as well. Sounds like that's the same road you're headed down. I'd rather spend another $5k on mine and have a paid off truck in a few years than add more debt to my life. Good luck man!

Exhaust brake doesn't even work that well if you loose weight.

Latest posts

Members online