Trailer brake setup for OBS? Whats involved?

always-strokin

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am buying a car trailer, unsure if I'm getting single ax, dual ax or tri-ax as of yet... but I know it will have trailer brakes.

I have the trailer connection harness and hitch, but my OBS has no trailer brakes installed.

Whats involved, how hard is it, and how expensive will this be?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
You will need a brake controller first and foremost. Other than that its running a few wires and done. Took my all of 45 minutes.

Wiring diagram will be with your brake controller. One is constant hot to give power to the brakes, one from the brake circuit to tell it to engage the brakes, and one for ground. Ground for controller and ground for the trailer connector are seperate. Your trailer connector has to have wires connected to it in a certain way also. Mine were labeled on the plug and on its packaging.

Last edited:

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
If your truck is wired with the trailer package from the factory there will be a plug under the dash. Plug your brake controller into this plug.

always-strokin

Reaction score
You will need a brake controller first and foremost. Other than that its running a few wires and done. Took my all of 45 minutes.

Wiring diagram will be with your brake controller. One is constant hot to give power to the brakes, one from the brake circuit to tell it to engage the brakes, and one for ground. Ground for controller and ground for the trailer connector are seperate. Your trailer connector has to have wires connected to it in a certain way also. Mine were labeled on the plug and on its packaging.

So how does the brake controller interact with the brake-pedal?

Thank you for the input so far

If your truck is wired with the trailer package from the factory there will be a plug under the dash. Plug your brake controller into this plug.

Whatttttttttt? Yes I have the stock Ford towing package! I had no idea there was a brake-controller setup built in though! Where does the wiring for the brake controller go to? I have the trailer harness to the left of the hitch for lights, but where does the brake controller come out of?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
So how does the brake controller interact with the brake-pedal?

Thank you for the input so far

Whatttttttttt? Yes I have the stock Ford towing package! I had no idea there was a brake-controller setup built in though! Where does the wiring for the brake controller go to? I have the trailer harness to the left of the hitch for lights, but where does the brake controller come out of?

Let me get a picture for you. I'll get it in a little while

always-strokin

Reaction score
Sure that works.

I'm wondering if I've known about this factory brake controller all this time I just haven't known what it is??

I really dont recall another set of wires beneath my truck though, unless the factory brake controller integrates w/ the factory trailer harness.

PsRumors

Reaction score
There is no factory brake controller on the obs trucks only the wiring if you have the factory tow package which is integrated with the big plug mounted under the bumper next to the received hitch.

If you have a factory tow package all you need to buy is a brake controller with the plug for the OBS trucks. The plug is just to the right of the OBD2 plug under the dash.

chromehound

Reaction score
I know around here Advance Auto carries the plug to hook the controller to the truck. It's with all the rest of the trailer plugins but good luck getting anyone who even knows what it looks like.

always-strokin

Reaction score
There is no factory brake controller on the obs trucks only the wiring if you have the factory tow package which is integrated with the big plug mounted under the bumper next to the received hitch.

If you have a factory tow package all you need to buy is a brake controller with the plug for the OBS trucks. The plug is just to the right of the OBD2 plug under the dash.

So all I need is the physical brake controller, and then the factory ford towing plug by the bumper contains the brake controller? The same harness that controls blinkers, brakes trailer lights etc?

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Exactly. Buy a brake controller with the ford plug and you are set.

It's just like doing an aftermarket radio. You buy a generic brake controller and a manufacturer specific plug

It's plug and play. Your lights should work without the controller plugged in, they are already part of the tow package

Last edited:

PsRumors

Reaction score
So all I need is the physical brake controller, and then the factory ford towing plug by the bumper contains the brake controller? The same harness that controls blinkers, brakes trailer lights etc?

You need a brake controller.

If you have a factory tow package that has the big round plug next to the received hitch it will contain the wiring need to activate the trailer brakes.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Exactly. Buy a brake controller with the ford plug and you are set.

It's just like doing an aftermarket radio. You buy a generic brake controller and a manufacturer specific plug

It's plug and play. Your lights should work without the controller plugged in, they are already part of the tow package

You need a brake controller.

If you have a factory tow package that has the big round plug next to the received hitch it will contain the wiring need to activate the trailer brakes.

Holy**** this is epic guys.... I had no idea this was the case. Since I'm a dumb trailer brake noob, can you guys give me an example of a good brake controller/plug that will work for me? Like a link or something? I want to make sure I order the right stuff.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Wait, so where do I have to splice that plug into? It connects to where, and splices into where?

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Your brake controller will have 4 wires. The male plug you buy will have 4 wires. Solder them together. Blue goes with blue, white with white, ect. Then you plug the male end that you soldered to the brake controller into the female plug under your dash.

Its really simple.

always-strokin

Reaction score
:doh:

So the the brake controller will have 4 wires that are soldered to that harness you guys sent me the link to.

The harness you sent me the link to goes from the controller to the built-in harness receiver under the dash..

that is easy.

Can I use that harness with any brake controller though?

always-strokin

Reaction score
Holy**** this is simple... man I love a good old Ford.

Thanks a million guys, this is some good stuff right here.

Latest posts

Members online