Train horn mounting location Q's

sole

Reaction score
I have a monster k5la train horn and I don't want to remove the spare tire. The original plan was to cut the bottom of my tool box but I really don't want todo that sense it's brand newy. So I got to looking online and I found a separator kit that separates the horns from the manifold. There's the big space under the bed above the axle. So, my question is does the axle and drive shaft move enough that it would come into contact with the horns if I mounted 3 of the 5 trumpets there?
de8a6a2u.jpg
ahutaqy9.jpg

also, just realized this is in the wrong thread if a mod could move to the according area. Sorry for the inconvince

Last edited:

sole

Reaction score
I thought about there but these are some high $$ horns and I don't really want them to be seen at all unless I show someone.

zporta

Reaction score
The only way to see them is crawling under the truck or sticking your head in the wheel well.

Gmoney69

Reaction score
Nice shockers. They r loud as hell. One of my fittings just broke though so gotta send it back :/. I mounted mine in that same spot but did 2 and 2

sole

Reaction score
I'll have to make a bracket once the separation kit comes in so I'll get a more detailed look. It's hard to get an idea trying to hold the horns up haha
dusuzu3e.jpg

sole

Reaction score
Hate to bump and old thread but I thought I'd share what I ended up doing.

I got the separator kit as mentioned before but with my ranger getting bigger than this truck I decided against my previously chosen spot and got a b&w hideaway hitch so I can tow it to parks and trails out of state. So I ended up mounting them along the drivers side up under like where the amp research steps would go.
ab221099d112bccf852bc08816e5f729.jpg
I used a 6 manifold pipe I bought from Home Depot and capped off one of the ends. Ran 1/2 pex to each horn and from the tank to the electric valve to the manifold is 3/4. Set up has been on the truck for about a year now with no issues except for the pressure switch from hornblasters has started acting up sporadically.
4f336ac6905b2937b2d9debc2f60e118.jpg
12 gallon tank and 2 viair 440 compressors mounted in the toolbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
After having the cheap Hornblasters Shocker kit as well as a K5LA at 200 psi I think I'll stick with the cheap stuff. I had well over 2 grand in the Nathan's with the Micro Precision debris shields and air system....it's just too much money to worry about some phucktard stealing.

truckman1974

Reaction score
After having the cheap Hornblasters Shocker kit as well as a K5LA at 200 psi I think I'll stick with the cheap stuff. I had well over 2 grand in the Nathan's with the Micro Precision debris shields and air system....it's just too much money to worry about some phucktard stealing.

What's the loudest cheap horns you've found? Is it even possible to have a really loud set without having to buy/mount an air tank? Basically a self contained system that makes it's own air (or whatever it needs to run the horns). I don't want to mount a tank in my bed.....but I wouldn't mind have a loud a$$ set of horns...... Not important enough to me though to invest all of that cash into horns and put a tank in my bed.

truckman1974

Reaction score
4f336ac6905b2937b2d9debc2f60e118.jpg
12 gallon tank and 2 viair 440 compressors mounted in the toolbox.

That's cool how you mounted it in the toolbox.......Looks pretty legit (and professional). I just want to keep my bed space available. Nice setup though!

NY_Mott

Reaction score
This says a lot In my book.
I had the shocker XL with dual Viair pumps and a 2 gallon iirc setup on my jeep. It was pretty loud but I always wanted more. I seen you had the K5lA which I new nothing about so started looking at them. Was going to ask you more about it when the time finally came but this sums it up for me.
Only thing I'd do differently with the shockers is more air storage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

drservo

Reaction score
I've got 4 hornblasters on mine mounted behind the amp steps and can barely see them. The compressor is mounted where the DEF tank once was and air pressure gauge is where the DEF fill up once was. Hornblasters are extremely loud they will rattle the ground.

Notneb

Reaction score
See I'm going a different way, I hate the high pitched train sound, I'm looking for the largest naval ship horn that I can fit where the spare used to be... I want to vibrate people's skeletons when they tailgate me...

NY_Mott

Reaction score
^^ that's going to be insane, I know that sound all to well.
Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
See I'm going a different way, I hate the high pitched train sound, I'm looking for the largest naval ship horn that I can fit where the spare used to be... I want to vibrate people's skeletons when they tailgate me...

You can manipulate the sound of a train horn by the bells you use. Nathan uses different bells to hit the required notes. The K6LA will likely vibrate your shoes off.

Notneb

Reaction score
You can manipulate the sound of a train horn by the bells you use. Nathan uses different bells to hit the required notes. The K6LA will likely vibrate your shoes off.

Yes and no. The diameter of the bell, length of trumpet, and air supply all dictate the Hz level. Naval ship horns use low frequency sounds because simply they travel farther, vs high frequency sounds, and distance heard is actually how they are measured. Depending on the vessels overall length dictates how far away the vessels main whistle or "horn" has to be heard. Most Naval ships are required to be heard over 5 miles away, which requires a massive bell, usually made out of brass, weighing 50-200lbs...

Theres a guy who put an old 30's horn in a Scion Xb, that's the noise I'm looking for.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I'm aware of how it works. I'm just saying you can manipulate some Nathan horns to get a deeper tone without sticking a giant marine "horn" in a truck.

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm aware of how it works. I'm just saying you can manipulate some Nathan horns to get a deeper tone without sticking a giant marine "horn" in a truck.

Gotcha, I'm just not sure if I can get deep enough... phrasing... but we'll see. Nathan would be cheaper than a freaking 726 class sub horn, which is what I'm looking at now... I'm also considering it just because how many people do you know have a submarine horn under their truck?

Latest posts

Members online