Tranny help

Noonman350

Reaction score
If everyone hasn't noticed I'm parting my trucks go fast parts out. My transmission is roached and I don't know what I should do... Rebuild the current ZF6? Swap to an auto? Or what... Any input on this will be great. I'm doin a year build one whole truck. Frame up. Engine should be around 650-700 ( or so I hope ). But I don't know what to do with the tranny.

Apache_91

Reaction score
if you're going to keep the truck, id say look at all the possible options. rebuilding with stronger parts, buying a tranny built for performance, or(since youre parting out the "go-fast" bits), putting a stock tranny in or having it rebuilt to factor spec.

I'd see which one offers the best performance, while not breaking your bank. unless, like i said youre going 100% back to stock with the truck, then I'd probly just have it rebuilt back to factor spec. also consider that, while a littlem ore pricey, ford motorcraft brand new and remanufactured trannys come with a certain warranty.
all kind revolves around what the future plans are with the truck and what you want out of it

Noonman350

Reaction score
Like I said in the previous post, I'm lookin for a tranny that'll hold 650-700hp easily. I want fast shifts and I think an auto might be better. I'd deffinatly get a built performance tranny, I just don't know what one, or where to go. Or if I end up with an auto, a manual to auto swap

MossBack

Reaction score
Bts or John woods either will get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
american hotrod solutions out of shreveport, LA has good parts and can build you a solid trans or converter for what ever mods you got..

psduser1

Reaction score
Auto....
Don't waste your time on a zf if you want to go fast..
I figured close to 6k to swap over, with a BTS and a controller to run it, but should be a one time expense. If you plan to use 600-ish horse, you'll get tired of pulling that zf!

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Definitely get a BTS. I'm running 550+HP and no issues except for one broken torque converter. Brian sent me a new one and all I paid was shipping, that was because it was outside of its two year warranty. A buddy of mine had an 800+HP cummins in front of his BTS with no issues

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Noonman350

Reaction score
Auto....
Don't waste your time on a zf if you want to go fast..
I figured close to 6k to swap over, with a BTS and a controller to run it, but should be a one time expense. If you plan to use 600-ish horse, you'll get tired of pulling that zf!

So what will I need for the swap? And it's 6k including the tranny right?

SDstroker

Reaction score
I would get a PCS controller and your either going to need a new input shaft for your tcase or a differnt tcase. A new steering column if you want factory looking or just put a floor shifter in it. I think some have put a f550 style shifter in. BTS is about $4500. PCS is about $1000

psduser1

Reaction score
So what will I need for the swap? And it's 6k including the tranny right?

38-4500 for the trans, 8-900 for the pcs or something similar will control your shift points. Wiring to the trans....
I don't know all the differences between the 4r and an e4od, maybe you could run a floor shifter on the older trans, I never looked that far into them.
Cost for the rebuild is the same, just depends how you want to control it.
If you have a donor truck, you could swap wiring harnesses, and run a 4r with the stock computer.
Charles and a few others on here have done this, I have not. I started checking into it, and the cost outweighed the benefit for me.
You may talk to a couple of the performance shops to get some better detail, lol.

Latest posts

Members online