Tranny may have said bye

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
I think my stock tranny may have given up on life. I run spartan 275 daily but truck dosnt get drove alot. Long story short cousin took my truck this weekend to replace a/c line. He works at Ford dealer so I got the system recharged for free. Thing was when he had the truck he also pulled a implement trailer with a car he was taking there to paint. Comes back says this thing is crazy pulled like a dream. Damn near threw car off trailer getting on the highway. Well I got it back didn't drive it much till couple days later hook my boat up to go fishing up the road in od it started slipping and bucked and threw code for performance solinoid D. Thought odd. Fast forward couple days to last night drove again to town and yup could tell in od it was slipping. So I watched tc slippage and that is only at 2-15. Well he stopped over tonight I took him for a ride to see if he noticed thus at all. Well it got worse cause almost didn't make it around my block back home went into limp 2 times and slipped horrible in od. Then wouldn't go past 4th? So my ? Is blew clutches out or what else?

And if so guess I need some pm's on a built tranny :doh:
Thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Dropping the pan and replacing the stuck solenoid (indicated by the code for performance solenoid D) would probably have prevented the total failure you have now.

Now it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Ignoring transmission codes usually results in spending boat loads of money.

I'm curious, how would you clean the solenoids? I can't think of a way to clean the solenoids that would help in any way.

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
I only drove the truck 1 mile on Monday after the code. And then I drove 3 miles other day just to see what was happening. I don't know I was asking if it was a possibility? Would replacing the solinoid and new fluid help any or just waste money? Thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It takes about 2 seconds for a seriously slipping clutch to get destroyed. Could you have slipped it that long in the 4 miles you drove it?

TC slippage isn't your problem. Watching that won't show anything useful to this problem.

What does the fluid look and smell like? Is it still bright red? Brown? Black? If it is anything but bright red doing anything short of a rebuild is a waste of money. If the fluid is still red it might be worth dropping the pan and seeing if there is a lot of clutch material in the pan.

It isn't possible to clean the solenoids.

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah fluid is dark red as smalls burnt. Just was wondering if doing that would get me by till a new tranny gets here but guess not.

RSK

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but my fluid looks great but smells burnt, i figured its done if its not i'll just kill it off maybe a fee boosted launches or burnouts will finish it off. Suncoast competion rebuild kit and every billet part they sell will be in the trans in a few weeks... Along with a brand new cooler from ford.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.