Tranny shifting problems, stutter shift 3rd-4th

Enslow

Reaction score
I got a rebuilt 4r100 with an ats tc and running a dp tuner, I'm thinking the trans tuning is off with this shift kit I have in the truck now, it seems to stutter shift into 4th under any tune, i talked to Jody at dp and he says hook a 350psi pressure gauge to pressure port on tranny. Does anyone know where I can get a gauge,tubing, fittings?? And is this port where you would put the tranny sensor? Pictures if anyone has done it before please and thanks

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive never heard of that. Take the tuner off. If the trans starts shifting right, the tunes are the.source. If.not your tranny builder needs to.go back to bagging.groceries.

Enslow

Reaction score
Yea tuner is the source had it out when I got the tranny rebuilt 1200 miles ago and Jody is 11 hr drive from me and 400$+ to live tune so I'd rather try to get the pressures at each shifting point but every shop I talk to they look at me like I'm stupid so I'd like to make my own contraption up but didn't know where to find a gauge and what not to make it up

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
What pressure are you going to get? During a 1/2 second long shift the pressure may change 50 times. A gauge won't respond fast enough to record it. You need some expensive pressure transducers and an oscillograph (several thousand dollars) to be able to see what the pressures are doing.

Once you have this do you know what the pressures SHOULD look like? That's why you are getting the weird looks.

If you still want a gauge you should be able to find what you want at Grainger's. They have stores all over and an online catalog. The port in the case is 1/8 NPT dryseal threads.

Enslow

Reaction score
I've called alot of the transmission shops around and no one will or knows how to. That's just what Jody at dp said to do. The trans tuning hasnt been right for awhile and I'd rather not drive 11 hrs down to Georgia to get it live tuned, this is my 2nd trans in 4 yrs, just not trying to roast another one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea tuner is the source had it out when I got the tranny rebuilt 1200 miles ago and Jody is 11 hr drive from me and 400$+ to live tune so I'd rather try to get the pressures at each shifting point but every shop I talk to they look at me like I'm stupid so I'd like to make my own contraption up but didn't know where to find a gauge and what not to make it up

If you make that contraption you'll be stupid. I wouldnt say you are, at this point. Wth, good is that going to do? Sounds like a mission id send someone on, knowing full, well, in advance they wouldnt or couldnt complete it. Let alone gather the correct information.

By the time you rig up this bs contraption you'll have the same cost as getting it fixed in person by jody. I dont know about you but Id demand better. Either get me some different shifting via the.tuning or Ill heave your junk into a dumpster. Id for sure take the tuner off the truck before it wastes you trans. If it didnt already.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not.going to the.default "blame dp tuner" as is prevalent at times. This is a simple one.however. From where I stand, it seems as though he doesnt know where to go next. If I was Jody I would send you something that would shift smoother just so.I didnt smoke your trans.

Heres the deal though: You have to be 100% certain that if you go out and pull the pin out of the pcm that all such shifting bs resolves. The only reason Id want to know those pressures would be to diagnose an internal trans leak which would allow me to say "nope its not my tunes it is the pump leaking in the trans."

This.is all a guess, educated albeit, but still a guess.

Enslow

Reaction score
Trans was rebuilt 1200 miles ago so it's not the pump and I just pulled the chip out and the tranny shifts perfect but dp overall is a good chip and im in no way blaming dp, just gotta work the bugs out with this different shift kit that's in it

Latest posts

Members online